to palm or not to palm

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, May 9, 2002.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

weird thread title I know.

anyone use a Palm ? ive still got my VX which I use quite alot, wondering if the new models are worth an upgrade.

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

I traded in my old Vx for a shiny new Sony Clie 625 (euro model - us is 615). 16-bit colour, 320x200 screen res.

Useablity is improved thanks to the higher res as apps can either get more on the screen, or use the high resolution fonts for increased readability. Having a colour screen (back light instead of green text) also means that its much more pleasant on the eyes in low-light conditions

But the main reason I upgraded is because of BlueTooth - Sony are working on a memory stick type adapter whilst palm have already got their version out.

The main reason I went Sony is because of the looks (its the best looking PDA atm) and I can get an MP3 adapter if I ever want it to play MP3's.

I'm sticking with Palm OS based devices because I can intergrate with my Linux and Windows stuff very easily.

3. curiophile

curiophile won't you be my neighbor

I learned the hard way about what to look for in a Palm. I had an older Palm IIIx, and I found out that it is completely worthless to get any PDA that does not have a rechargeable battery. The Palm IIIx uses two AA's, and they would drain even if the PDA wasn't being used. Once the batteries are dead, all the phone numbers, addresses and information stored in it would erase. Palm does have a utility to back up your device on your computer, but it just isn't a good idea.

My advice? Get a rechargeable lithium-ion at the very least!

4. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

I have a Palm IIIxe and have never had that problem, mine can go for months without use and the batteries will be drain just a little. Just in case I purchased a set of 4 AAA rechargable NiMHs, the only thing now it that the Palm NEVER shows a full battery even if they are fully charged, only showed it right when using standard energizer or Alkaline batteries, strange... And the NiMH ones also seem to last less than the regulars...

I want to purchase an iPaq, but have no money :tears: , those things are incredible, all the power of the PDAs and more, the only think I don't like about them is WinCE (Microsoft... :rolleyes: ).

Oh well, good luck on your decision...

5. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Palm IIIxe, and I love it.

Got it over a year ago for under $90us and the sucker has been nothing but kind. The batteries last forever, the back-up/synch with the PC is cheesecake, and it's just too cool once you add the virtual remote software. (I have WAY too many infra-red devices in this house!)

It's a great accessory to the computer, sort of like a portable notepad/sketchpad/gameboy for it. :)

6. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

well i had been looking at the Sony model for a while and I think I might check it out this weekend and perhaps give my brother the VX :)

thanks for the response guys, appreciated.