Too many tabs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Trusteft, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I find myself keep opening new tabs in the browser. Say I read an article and I find 3-4 things I want to check out, that's 3-4 open tabs. Well, now I have 3 sessions of a total about 1500 tabs. Going back half a year or so.
    HELP!

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Um, they're called bookmarks.

3. Trusteft

I am not sure what you mean.

4. Calliers

Use bookmarks, that way, when you want a tab that you have closed you can get it. I have TONNES of bookmarks in my browser, to avoid something like this happening.

5. Trusteft

Yes I know what bookmarks are...
    My problem is not the way I "store" the URLs, but that I do.

6. Calliers

Look, whenever you bookmark something it doesn't take up RAM. Now, whenever you open tabs they do take up resources. You're better off just storing them as bookmarks where they won't eat up valuable resources and CPU cycles.

7. Trusteft

*sigh*
    Dude, I don't care about resources. I have plenty of horsepower.

8. Calliers

Oh. Ok, sorry I thought that was your problem. I guess you're just trying to get as they say in organized crime "organized". Ok then, as you were.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

My problem is that I do it.
    I guess the only solution is to not do it.
    I think I need to get some rest.

10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Turn off the system and slowly walk away....

IvanV and Calliers like this.
  11. Calliers

HAHAHAAHAHA!!!!! Ty you kill me sometimes. :D

Yeah, gotta get a handle on that friend.

12. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Nope, you mean google.. :)

Calliers likes this.
  13. Calliers

Lol, well tbh I have all the sites I go to for news pretty much memorized, I only use google to find the stories I find on the one site on other sites so that I don't post from the same site all the time. ;)

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i don't understand how people have so many tabs open.... i mean i get a few customers, most of which are apple users, that come into the store here complaining about how their phone is basically slow as molases and can't do anything on the internet... and i have to spend the next 5 minutes or more killing tabs and open'd apps that haven't ever been shut down. Many of the customers state "well i did restart/shut it off and turn it back on.. so why are they still open?" to which i have to explain to them that this has no impact on open'd tabs or apps, they'll automatically load from the last state prior to shutdown/restart.

The most tabs i've ever likely had open at one time is perhaps 10... and even then that's cluttered. On average i'll have 3 or 4 at most. I don't use bookmarks, ever really, and when i am done i close all tabs and close the browser unless the browser allows for closing all tabs upon closing it (most modern browsers though will reopen the tabs you had open when you closed it so this is why i close the individual tabs prior to exiting the browser).

15. Calliers

I usually have around 4 or 5 opened usually while using the browser, but no more than that, unless I'm posting news then I have a crap load of tabs opened. But I close them as I go till I have just the 4 or 5 I normally have, two being HH, one being Youtube, one being Spotify and then another being either Facebook or whatever.

But after posting news I make sure again I close all the tabs I am not using anymore, before starting a game up or anything like that. Although sometimes I will leave the tabs opened in the background and watch a video in Windows or in another browser before returning to posting news. Also sometimes I have iTunes running in the background.

16. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I don't save tabs between sessions on my PC, so I rarely go over 85. :D On my phone, though, they do tend to be piling up " 'cause I may want to get back to that". Of course, on a phone, it's more difficult to navigate between 50+ tabs, so I end up opening things in new tabs instead of searching for them among the open ones, until I go over a hundred, at which point I usually just kill all of them and rarely miss any. And yeah, the key to not having that many is simply to no longer do the things that we do. But I don't wanna! I don't have a problem with that. :)

In defense of your customers, Judas, unlike desktop applications which have clear ways of closing them, mobile apps usually don't have those and it is pretty much the philosophy of mobile OSes that users should leave managing active apps to the system. BTW, on Android, killing all open apps is hardly a 5 minute job, I find it strange that it would take so much on iOS (also, at least in Opera Mini, the same goes for open tabs).

17. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

people don't use usually anything other than safari and there used to be a way to close all tabs.... but unfortunately not. On android people tend to use the included browsers and not anything else, which also quite often doesn't provide a way to kill all tabs in a short minute either, even via force stopping the app, it'll just reload all the tabs again.

18. Calliers

Such is the life of the technician. Alas, I used to be one as well. I know your struggle well, dear friend.