Total War: Rome 2 Review @ HH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by craig5320, Sep 2, 2013.

1. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

Read the Total War: Rome 2 Review

"While there is nothing revolutionary here, how could we not enjoy this game… we certainly loved it...and we HATE it. Why? Well..."

2. gurnoorinder

gurnoorinder New Member

Yes, CA needs to move to diff eras. Also with this game i was hoping that they would include India into the game. The powerful mauryan empire had links with romans greeks selucids....

there are so many eras to explore... perhaps, a campaign about Timur. his descendant Babur forged the mughal empire... maybe a game about it. it was only there as non playable in Empire TW.

although rome 2 is going to be a fantastic game... n i m exicted that it came out :D

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Angry Joe ripped this game to pieces, yet he gave it a respectable 6/10.
    People in forums blast the game for broken AI. upload videos yet CA claim these either do not exist or are (magically?) only affecting 2% of the gamers.

I am glad I haven't bought the game.
    I love the original RTW too much to play this.

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

AI does what it has always done, either wait for you to come close and charge, or start charging at you from the get-go. Nothing has changed... The AI in Total War games have never used groundbreaking strategy or tactical manoeuvres

5. Trusteft

I am not talking about about A.I. I am talking about completely broken A.I.
    Check Angry Joe's review as an example.

6. Neshi

I guess most things got ironed out with the greek states dlc. I don't know what to say, I haven't played the pre-dlc, pre-patch version. I have got the one with the greek states, and it is just how the Total War series has ever been with better graphics and some tweaks to gameplay.

Is the battle gameplay as they have shown us many months ago? no, but is it still Total Fun, yes.

7. Trusteft

According to Joe,the patch fixes a few things but the majority remains bad, it's all in the (very long) video.

I find it funny how according to metacritic (2 min ago), out of 44 reviews the game gets a very respectable 80, while out of 1739 non pro reviews, the game gets 3.8

Not that the people are always right, far from it, but the difference is so big, it can't be a coincidence.

8. Neshi

I think a lot of people had too high expectations... It is what it is, a Total War game that re-visits the Roman Era, with brushed up graphics and some UI changes. It was never going to re-invent the genre, even though it was what Creative was hinting at during development, but which developer doesn't in this day and age.

9. Trusteft

So everybody who is complaining about the broken status of the game was expecting too much? Perhaps you have played a different game? The same I could say about most of the pro reviewers out there. Perhaps they have all played the actual game and not the one sold and played by the rest of the gamers. Perhaps CA gave the good secret working game copies to the reviewers (and a few select others I guess), and for the masses they gave the broken game.
    Anything is possible I guess.

Or if you don't for some reason believe Joe or the thousands of other gamers, perhaps you will believe the industry veteran Tom Chick.
    http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/09/06/creative-assembly-fiddles-rome-ii-loads/

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. Neshi

You keep mentioning that review, and I've seen it. He played the pre-patch etc version like he says, I also said I did not and don't see any of the bugs and broken AI he is talking about. Therefore I assumed that most of it got fixed with the Greek faction DLC.
    Granted, it is still nothing stellar and I wouldn't praise it into the sky, but it certainly is a proper Total War game and I would give it a solid 7.

and it is not that I don't believe it, I am just saying I am not seeing the bugs they are complaining about. To write a game off on bugs that have since been resolved is a bit silly, is all.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  11. Trusteft

He clearly also states that he played the game without the patch and with the patch, including the DLC which you can also see him play with the DLC factions.
    Anyway, this is pointless.

12. Neshi

I must have gone in with no expectations at all, cos I quite enjoy the game. But yea, it's pointless...

13. SeaWulf

SeaWulf Active Member

I am enjoying the game. My favorite Total War was Empire and it had a lot of growing pains but it became to me at least a very enjoyable game. so I expect that CA will be committed to patch and improve the game over time.

have not experience the bugs mentioned either. Looking forward to future improvements and DLC.

14. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'd recommend anyone thinking about getting this to wait for a lot of patches and a drop in price. Not that it's overly expensive, it's just very flawed in its current state. Those who'd like to play a strategy game in the world of ancient Rome would do better to pick up the original Total War: Rome for a penny and run one of the larger modifications available for it. Like for instance Roma Surrectum 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7G3eEpcV_w

My "favorite" object of irritation in Rome 2 is that the campaign map is more "demanding" than Battlefield 3... Without that I might have played a bit more with autoresolved battles.