Trump signs bill allowing the mentally ill to buy guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Calliers, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

President #Donald Trump, who told the nation's governors at the Annual Governors' Ball that they have "an easy job," signed a bill on Tuesday that makes it much easier for mentally ill people to purchase guns. The bill, which was signed by the President in fulfillment of his campaign promise to the #NRA, rescinded an Obama Administration requirement that the Social Security Administration forward the names of mentally ill people to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which suffices as the FBI database. The database serves as the basis for deciding whether or not people have the mental stability to purchase guns. The Obama Administration enacted the requirement in an effort to limit access to guns by mentally ill people.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Most crimes are committed by people who are not "mentally ill".
    Having said that, this doesn't feel right, though I do get where he is coming from on this.
    What I find also interesting is the last part of the article about the two other bills he signed, promoting women in science. No headlines for that though.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

HAHAHAHA, I just checked the front news page of that site. ALL the articles, and there are many, are about Trump. Dozens of them.
    Yeah, this feels like an objective truthful site.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

More nutjobs with guns.... Yeah, great!

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

news..... the most untrustworthy and heavily opinionated and slanted form of misinformation anyone can consume.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

7. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

Here's the deal, since 1968 no one who has been diagnosed as mentally ill or worse homicidal could legally buy a gun or register it.
    However Obama chose to use the FBI data base to collect, concentrate and publish lists of people that may or may not fit the profile regardless of whether they were mentally stable or not. The system was flawed and at best did not become useful even years after it was established.
    Basically the system as it was is still broken and has been way before Obama took office. The fact is that if anyone wants a gun, they can still get it.
    You can stand at the doors of every single firearms retailer in all the 50 states to stop gun sales, and those that wish it can get weapons and ammo.
    What the FBI list did was attempt to identify mentally challenged people regardless of whether they committed a crime or not in the past.
    The system didn't work and the FBI during OBAMA's regime poorly execute their duties and in some instances committed crimes.
    Trump repealing the rule, or law or action was just he first part of the entire nation and law enforcement to come to terms with the issue rather than just dump it at the doorstep of the FBI. States in the Union have always had a legal obligation to enforce gun laws and more and more gun laws that did not work made it clear that as a whole, our nation cannot police itself effectively on a national level.
    It has to begin at the core of the problem, those wholesalers that buy the weapons in bulk, the retailers and of course ill equipped law enforcement to grapple with an over abundance of weapons.
    To be frank, gun manufacture and sales will not stop, regardless of laws to limit ammo, magazines and volume of sales of everything from small caliber up to 50 caliber rifles (for hunting).
    Blaming Trump is typical of the kind of politics that still exists in America and its sickening to see the former sycophants of Obama's administration attempt to achieve politically viability by challenging every single thing that Trump does.
    I am not a Trump fan and damn sure not a Hillary fan, but I would rather have an asshole in charge than a criminal politician.
    I find respite in the knowledge that Pres. Trump is not a career politician and is not afraid to turn the water hose on anyone he does not want in his yard.
    Now back to gun control. If you attempt to purchase a gun in the U.S. you get the background check right at the gun store and with the additional waiting period they will check the FORM 4473 you filled out and run the NICS background check through the FBI...at least 225 million have been fun since 2000 alone. Several databases have been checked and the most common reason for refusal or denial is criminal history of any kind, not mental illness. The following lists the FBI uses are:
    • Interstate Identification Index (III), a database of criminal history record information
    • National Crime Information Center (NCIC), which includes information on persons subject to civil protection orders and arrest warrants
    • NICS Index, which includes the information contributed by federal and state agencies identifying persons prohibited from possessing firearms who are not included in the III or NCIC, such as persons with a prohibiting mental health history or who are illegal or unlawful aliens.
    Now the states have the legal obligation to check local and statewide records since YES most are still not computerized.

Even with all the checks and balances in place, people can still get guns. This not an OBAMA thing or a Trump thing, its far bigger.
    The fact is that all the agencies in place and earnest efforts of national agencies cannot prevent gun purchases for anyone, criminal or mentally ill.
    Sad but true. Do I own a gun? No, when you pull the trigger on anyone and take a life, something changes in our heart and in our soul. I prefer not to use them and may die at the hands of a criminal or enemy but I cannot take life anymore. Just my thing. My children and ex wives on the other hand possess them.