TWIMTBP - genuinely useful for PC gamers?

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 4, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

All you guys and gals reading this love to play games, thats part of the reason you are here on our community and there has been much debate in the past about The Way Its Meant To Be Played (TWIMTBP) and we even interviewed Nvidia's Roy Taylor who was more than happy to discuss the subject in detail in our offices.

There are many trains of thought on TWIMTBP. Firstly, some enthusiast users feel that TWIMTBP is an Nvidia ploy to strongarm developers into making sure that their games are 'optimised' only for Nvidia hardware and even sometimes that the titles will intentionally run worse on ATI graphics cards. Nvidia are keen to focus on the point that without the work of their TWIMTBP initiative that PC gaming would in fact decline until it fades into nothing. AMD would be equally keen to argue the point and have done so in the past.

Ashu Rege, Director of Nvidia's developer tech team recently stated that they have 50 engineers in the team who work with developers around the clock to make PC games run better and incorporate cutting edge technology such as physX.

The facts are that most money is made from console gaming and Nvidia state that if they didn't spend between 50 million and 100 million dollars a year that more PC games would in fact just be ports of successful Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games.

Peeling back all the layers of PR spin from both AMD and Nvidia, it is quite clear that the money Nvidia do invest does in some way help the consumer (you guys) because games such as Batman: Arkham Asylum have clearly benefited all gamers on the PC platform, regardless of the graphics card they use.

Attached Files:

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

100 million $ every year , what would they get in exchange ? , probably sell their cards because if there were no proper games on PC , not much people would buy GPUs. But why physx in nVidia property ? , why it can't run on AMD cards or using CPUs ??

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

ali don't be silly, Nvidia is your god and savior and you have to admit it as all humans have. *sigh*

4. clanman

clanman New Member

It can run using CPU's - ATI users can use PhysX now.

Well I appreciate you are a huge ATI fan, and I like them myself, but you have to be honest and say that nvidia don't really even need to let anyone else support physX. they bought the company and technology for it, so it makes good business sense to use it for their own hardware. I think the fact that they allow it to run in software and don't lock it out to 'just' their cards is actually rather ethical. I don't know any other company who would spent a ton of money on technology and then just let their competitors get 100% access as well.

5. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

PC games and consoles have always gone back and forth in popularity because, when a console hits the theshold it can't break, the PC keeps evolving. I have been gaming for 35 years and it's always happpened. A console will get 4 years of life, then the PC will rule for 4 year with new hardware making the graphics far superior to the consoles. I wouldn't worry.

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Clanman I never said that Nvidia is doing anything wrong with physx and AMD. Never.

I am not a huge ATI fan. I have an ATI 4870X2, before that I had a 8800GTs, before that I had a x1800XT, before that mobile ati 7500, before that a Hercules KyroII, before that a GeForce 256DDR, before that etc. Who knows, my next one might be Nvidia or ATI or Intel. I am not an ATI or Nvidia fan. I am not getting paid to use their products and I don't have any prejudice against or in favour of either company.

My comment was about the usual PR BS from Nvidia. Thanks to them PC gaming survives MY ASS. PC gaming doesn't need any single company to survive, not that it was under threat at any point in time.
    People seem to forget that the control of the gaming market by PCs in part of the 90s was more of an accident and that from the late 70s to late 80s consoles were dominating. For the same reasons they might, now or are going to again soon. You only need to spend a few hundrend $£/whatever and then just buy games, where with the PC you need to upgrade your system every couple of years if you want to keep playing new games that don't look like shit.

I do currently support PC gaming, but for Nvidia to say that thanks to Nvidia, PC gaming is where it is now is total bullshit and that is what I was saying. If you want to name a company that helped, then Intel is that and 3DFx.

I actually laugh with Nvidia's comments about their "TWIMTBP". Yeah, because before then games would not run under graphics cards that met the requirements :rolleyes: and of course now the games that have their "TWIMTBP" tatoo on them work always as intended for Nvidia cards :rolleyes: .

Anyway, good questions from DH, although I am a bit confused about some details, it feels like Nvidia took their good time to reply to the questions. :rofl:

7. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I think if nVidia like to help PC gaming they SHOULD reduce their cards' prices at least like AMD Price/performance match , that would be a lot persuasive than claiming some nice statements.

8. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

An interesting and perhaps a bit of an overlooked point made there(original post). Especially smaller game development houses lack the assets to incorporate modern graphics even in primarily PC-oriented products. Getting the hardware out in however good a shape isn't going to be quite enough to drive development forward in the pace that we like to see. I haven't read the whole interview yet but like to add that it's also interesting to read interviews with officials other than the direct PR branch.

Side note; at the moment the article text is hard to read in IE as its color appears gray, while white in Chrome and Firefox. Oh wait just now saw a bar in the IE8 Window telling me that it modified something in the code to prevent "cross site scripting". Might be that it's picky about something security-wise that's not at all harmful.