Upgrade Again?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by drwho, Jul 4, 2019.

1. drwho

drwho Active Member

Ok, the Ryzen 3000 processors are supposed to be released on July 7th. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of the new processors and putting it in my x470 board. I've already upgraded the Bios to be compatible with the new processors. Also since I'm not planning on upgrading any other of my hardware to take advantage of what the new x570 boards have I see no reason to get one of them. Two questions.

1. Does this idea have any merit?

2. If I do get one of the new 3000 processors is it necessary to install Win 10 again?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

No you won't need to install windows 10 again.... This tends to only be a requirement on either significant changes in the chipset or specially a move from intel to amd or vice versa.

IMO considering you have a 2700x... your only viable upgrade option is 3700x or higher, of which i think moving to a 3700x or 3800x would be a minimal improvement (frequency and IPC improvements are nice certainly) but in all honesty, i think to make it worth while, you'd want to venture into the minimum 3900x or patiently wait for the 3950x arriving in i believe it's september. The 3900x being a 12 core and the 3950x being 16 core. The 3900x certainly looks like a fantastic price to performance deal, the 3950x is clearly priced as a flagship, but it definitely offers some serious horse power.

If i was in the market for an AM4 desktop, i would definitely snag a 3900x.

3. drwho

drwho Active Member

Thanks for the comments, Judas. As a matter of fact I am thinking about the 3900x. Since I'm skipping upgrading to one of the x570 motherboards or the memory to go with it I could go with the 3900x. :)

4. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Man you sure do have money to burn. I am finding my PC is capable of handling pretty much anything I throw at it pretty well so I don't think I'm going to upgrade for quite some time and when I do it will be when this entire system is long in the tooth.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

God knows you are the master of wise spending on tech. :p

Dyre Straits and Calliers like this.
  6. drwho

drwho Active Member

LOL......What can I say, Calliers. I worked for 45 years in the same job and am now retired. I gotta do something with all that money I earned. ;)

IvanV, Calliers and Trusteft like this.