Upgrade Driver

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by MuLTiTaSK, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MuLTiTaSK

MuLTiTaSK New Member

Unistall Driver

i just purchased DH Driver Cleaner.NET in hopes that it can help me upgrade my display drivers for my NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE i currently i have nVIDIA ForceWare 83.91 installed but i want to upgrade to nVIDIA ForceWare 93.81 i'am following the instructions on how to use the program but i hit a wall on step 2 i have no nvidia drivers or anything listed as nvidia in my add or remove programs panel so i cant unistall the display drivers

i have never touced the nvidia drivers that came pre installed with this hp pc so i'am confused on why nothing is listed in the add or remove programs panel regarding nvidia
    is there another way i can unistall the drivers?

i tried to unistall the display driver manually using run command c:\windows\system32\nvuDisp.exe Uninstall c:\windows\system32\NvDisp.nvu
    but i got a bunch of errors so then i tried in the device manager and got the same errors

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so i tried to open this key in regedit and i get another error
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers

[​IMG]

can someone help me please?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

What you can do is reboot into safemode. Then follow step 5 from the instructions in the help file. This will manually uninstall the driver, but do not reboot. After that run Driver Cleaner and select nVidia as filter. After cleaning reboot and now you can install the new drivers.

3. MuLTiTaSK

MuLTiTaSK New Member

i tried in safemode and i still get errors i dont get what the problem is please help me:confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Spike

Try to install the new driver over the old in windows. After rebooting the system, when you are back in windows you should be able to uninstall the driver through add remove. Then you can follow the steps.

What you can do if the other one fails is reboot into safemode and run Driver Cleaner. Select nVidia and start the cleaning. After the cleaning reboot the system and you should be able to install the new driver.

Hope 1 of the above will help, because it looks indeed if the drivers are not right installed.

5. MuLTiTaSK

MuLTiTaSK New Member

everything failed so i was forced to reboot into safemode and run [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Driver Cleaner.NET[/FONT] and everything has seemed to go well but i got some errors in the error log and saw that it could'nt delete some reg keys

---- Driver Cleaner.NET 3.1.1.0 ----
    Time: 15:49:45
    Exception: ThrowArgumentException
    Error: Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist.
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    Trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.DeleteSubKeyTree(String subkey)
    at DriverCleanerDotNET.clsRegistry.DeleteKey(String lngRootKey, String strKey, Boolean bRecursive)
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    at DriverCleanerDotNET.clsRegistry.DeleteKey(String lngRootKey, String strKey, Boolean bRecursive)
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    Exception: ThrowSecurityException
    Error: Requested registry access is not allowed.
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers\SubComponents nvdisp.nvu
    Trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
    at DriverCleanerDotNET.clsRegistry.DoesValueExist(String lngRootKey, String strKey, String strValName)
    Time: 16:20:24
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    Exception: ThrowSecurityException
    Error: Requested registry access is not allowed.
    Extra: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers\SubComponents nvdisp.nvu
    Trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
    at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
    at DriverCleanerDotNET.clsRegistry.DoesValueExist(String lngRootKey, String strKey, String strValName)

when i try to delete them manually i get these errors:confused:

Cannot delete LEGACY_NVSVC: Error while deleting key.
    Cannot open NVIDIA Drivers: Error while opening key.

these are the keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSVC
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers

is there a way to delete these keys succesfully without problems?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  6. Spike

Hi,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers
    that is the only key that should be deleted if you only have and nvidia videocard else you need to delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers\SubComponents nvdisp.nvu

Run regedit and go to that key. Right mouse click on that and select permissions. In the new windows look for the login name you use. Then make sure that the box with Full Control is checked by the column Allow. Now you should be able to delete the key.

The other keys are not important. They can not be deleted, because they are locked by windows.

7. MuLTiTaSK

MuLTiTaSK New Member

i have a nvidia chipset mobo but i dont see a SubComponents key or anything in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers
    i'am the admin on this pc and the only user added

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Spike

that is indeed wierd. Have you already tried installing the new driver?

9. MuLTiTaSK

MuLTiTaSK New Member

i cant until i'am able to delete this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NVIDIA Drivers

that registry key is the culprit for most of the errors i'am getting during install and unistall as i showed you

Driver Cleaner.NET did a good job deleting the old display driver files and registry keys but i'am stuck using no drivers and my monitor is really sluggish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

please help me :duh:

10. Spike

Have you tried in safe mode login in as Administrator if that is possible and see if you can change the permission or delete the key then?

It looks like windows or some other program change the permission on that key.

Have oyu already tried installing the driver through the device manager. So selecting the display card and then right mouse click and update driver. Then let it search for a driver and see if that works.

11. MuLTiTaSK

MuLTiTaSK New Member

i just said what the heck and installed the new drivers i ignored all the errors about that reg key and the drivers installed fine i still cant open that key and nvidia isnt listed in add remove programs panel but the new drivers seemed to work ok i would still love to know what created that error but a working newer better driver is more important to me and without Driver Cleaner.NET this would not be possible so i thank you very much for your help and small but very affective program i'am a very happy customer i will let all my friends know about your awesome program now its time to test these drivers wish me luck ;)

12. Spike

Good to hear that the drivers still could install. Hope they will work great. Let me know how the drivers perform.