USB Hub suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Looking for a solid 7+ port USB hub, 3.0 type A.
    My 5 months old Icy Box (by Raidsonic now) 13 port hub decided to start corrupting my external drives so I am using it now just for the basics (mouse, keyboard, mic) till I get a new one.

2. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Just my opinion, of course, but I don't trust USB hubs anymore. They can be the cause all kinds of unexpected behavior.

3. Trusteft

OK then, I will just drill some holes in the laptop, that will help.
    :p

I don't trust not just hubs but USB in general. Flaky shit. I have to admit I have no experience with Type C, but all previous, shit.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I bought a have a Vantec 7 port USB 3.0 hub over a year ago. Still running great. It also has 2 extra smart charging ports for dedicated 1A and 2A charging. It also comes in a 9 and 10 port version.

[​IMG]

First couple months when they came out they had issues with them, but once the problems were fixed they've been pretty solid.

Edit: I should mention that I've never filled all the ports. I usually have the 2 smart charging ports used, and about 4 of the USB 3.0 ports running (mouse, keyboard, USB hard drive dock, and MS Xbox wireless controller adapter).

Oh, and it comes with a short cable.. something like 2-3 feet. I purchased a longer one so that I could move it higher and further away from the computer.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Calliers likes this.
  5. Trusteft

Thank you.
    The thing that worries me is how this design is exactly like other hubs from other brands. Most likely the same hub rebranded.
    I am leaning towards a smaller (7 instead of 13 I use now) from Sharkoon.
    https://www.skroutz.gr/s/8557231/Sharkoon-7-Port-USB-3-0-Aluminium-Slim-Hub.html

It has good reviews (though only a handful) and I have good experience with Sharkoon products before (mouse, headset).

6. Trusteft

I ordered one 7 port by Sharkoon. It doesn't have any dedicated charging ports but every power strip I have (4 in this room) has at least 2 USB charging ports and I use them anyway.
    I had a mouse and headset by Sharkoon, they were fine so let's hope the usb hub is fine too. Between you me and the internet, I didn't choose it based on how good it might be but on what brand name it had solely on that it won't come with a major issue that might burn my apartment down or something.

Calliers likes this.