Use to work; Now it Doesn't!

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Previously, when using Audacity to record from my external CD/Tape recorder/player, I could set the sound output to my headphones and everything was hunky-dory.

Not anymore! Although the sound still comes through the headphones, it ALSO is being output to my speakers...which I do NOT want or need it to do so. This is even though I have unticked the "Listen" box in the sound settings. I simply do NOT want or need the sound coming through the speakers when I'm doing audio editing recording.

And, to be clear, the audio comes through the speakers even if I'm not using Audacity. So, I'm assuming that Microsoft/Windows has made some kind of change that forces the audio to the speakers....regardless of this "Listen/Don't Listen" setting.

The connection from the player to the PC is via the Line-In connection. That is also the setting in Audacity and I also have the Headphones as the audio listening device.

I really do not want to have to turn the speaker volume down in order to prevent having the audio playing through the speakers.

The audio device is the onboard RealTek device.

2. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Most sound cards tend to have a "Separate front panel" or "Mute speakers on headphone input" checkbox in their proprietary control panels.

3. Dyre Straits

FWIW, it only does this from the player... If I play a video from YouTube, or directly from the PC, for example, the sound ONLY goes to my headphones.

4. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Have you messed with the "Interface Host" option? The one that has "MME/Windows DirectSound/Windows WASAPI"?

5. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

6. Dyre Straits

So far, due to how Windows 10 has changed the sound settings, the only option -- for now -- is to manually turn down the speakers. The way RealTec interface worked before, I could get into some more detailed settings than what I can find so far. For now, it's just an annoyance.

7. Calliers

Sorry to hear that. At least it's not a total loss.

8. Dyre Straits

I would be nice if the settings that are there would work as it seems they are intended to work. For example: Line IN has an option to "Listen"...(which, to me, means that the output that is selected would be allowed to get the audio of whatever is connected to the Line IN port. And, if it's NOT checked then nothing should be produced through the speakers.) One of the things, however, that might be muddying the settings is that I have 5:1 Speakers. Perhaps if I changed to a simple STEREO setup, it might work as intended. ???

9. Calliers

Have you considered the fact that your motherboard circuitry could be giving out due to old age?