Valve: L4D2 boycott was a 'fight inside the family'

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by comp_ali, Nov 17, 2009.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

The now closed Left 4 Dead 2 boycott, which at the time of writing boasts 35,521 members, was like a "fight inside the family", Valve has claimed.

The high-profile boycott first emerged following the game's official reveal at July's E3 game show. Its manifesto claims: "The announced content of Left 4 Dead 2 does not warrant a stand-alone, full-priced sequel and should instead become updates (free or otherwise) for Left 4 Dead."
    _______
    source : videogamer

2. DJShamrock

DJShamrock New Member

I can't tell the diff besides new characters and maps. It's a fucking mod.

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I could never figure out why the boycott even started (I mean for valid reasons, not just to get free stuff).

I wouldn't mind getting a well made sequel to some of my favourite games, ever year, if the sequels on their own did not lack content.

Then there is the whole SPORT GAME 200X thing with almost every franchise releases a game every year with minor differences from the year before. You don't see people getting angry for that!

4. The Captain

The Captain New Member

The main problems were Valve's timing of L4D2 and the lack of content in the original game. Sure, L4D1 was really fun, but it's pretty dang short, especially considering the price tag of $50. However, most people justified the cost because they thought Valve would continue supporting the game after release (a new campaign every so often, new modes, etc), just as Valve has done for Team Fortress 2. Fans of L4D1 were expecting new content, but instead Valve officially announced L4D2 a little over 6 months after L4D1's release at E3 2009.

To most people, this seemed like a cash grab by Valve - something you would expect from EA, but not Valve, which made many people angry.

So far, I haven't seen anything in L4D2 that couldn't have been added to L4D1 via a new campaign.

That's because fans of those games aren't true gamers and will eat whatever crap EA feeds them.

[​IMG]

5. Trusteft

A) Expecting free content to the point of demanding it, is silly. No one forced you to buy the game at $50 and be glad you do not live in Europe where you would have spent far more.

B) Just because you might not like sport games, accusing those who do of not being true gamers (whille you of course are the almighty gaming spirit) is at best rude.
    No gamer is created with more rights than any other gamer. We are all equal among games and we should treat with respect all other gamers, cause that is who we all are, no matter what games we choose to play.

6. The Captain

The Captain New Member

Why is it silly? Valve has had its roots in the modding for a long time. Just look at all the mods and maps for Half-Life and Counter-Strike. Heck, Counter-Strike started out as a simple Half-Life mod until Valve purchased the rights to it and made it better. Valve continues to support Team Fortress 2 with new maps and character class updates. Why should L4D be any different?
    Come now, I'm just having a little fun.;)

7. Trusteft

Why is it silly? Did Valve state that they are going to release X amount of DLC for L4D?
    Did the people expect Valve to release free DLC just because....
    L4D is not any of the other games.

8. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

when they said they would support it in the same way they supported tf2, and then did the exact opposite.... thats what pissed most people off.

9. Trusteft

So, they haven't released anything for it? No map, no nothing?

10. The Captain

The Captain New Member

They did release a new, one part campaign (mostly for versus), but that happened much later than the initial outrage in the community.

11. Trusteft

So I guess no one who bought L4D and got upset over this will buy L4D2?

12. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Melee Weapons, More Explosives, More Special Zombies, More Guns, ect. ect.

13. The Captain

The Captain New Member

Meh, some will, some won't. There are plenty of other games out right now I can spend my money on. I wouldn't say I'm boycotting the game. I'm just not that interested in it. From what I can tell, it's just more of the same.

14. clanman

clanman New Member

I was one of the annoyed people who were angry with Valve when they announced LFD2 and I wasn't going to buy it. My friend did and I played it at his house and its brilliant.

I bought it.

Not sure my point really, but I think maybe a lot of people are being narrowminded about this and they really should play the game before commenting - quite a lot has changed. Sure its nothing radically different, but you could generalise much wider and say most FPS games are the same in many ways. You run around shooting things in most FPS games but at the end of the day its about the gameplay. I have been playing L4D2 all day and all my friends are really into it online. the GH review is spot on (as usual).

15. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

$50 is asking too much for a sequel that's more or less a DLC.

I'll wait until it gets to at least $20.

16. Alex

Alex Driverheaven Lover

Once again I would argue the point this is just a 'DLC' - the engine has been changed, there are new weapons, new environments, new characters and a bunch of other things including new modes.

I think valve are victims a lot of their previous track record and offering a ton of content for nothing - people don't seem to just expect a few mods now from them, they want full games for nothing. Life just doesn't work like that.

Let me state im not a fan of either game, but my kid brother is and ive watched him play both - they look rather 'different' to me and I fail to see the issue with valve releasing a follow up, its not like they have suddenly forced players of L4D to buy L4D2 or they block the game from running. Its entirely in your hands if you want to buy it. They even recently released DLC for L4D for nothing.

17. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

when me and my friends bought the original, we all agreed 50 bucks was too damn expensive then for what we were getting. it was justified though by valve saying they were going to commit to it, like they did with tf2.

now with l4d2, weve agreed the games fun, but not 50 dollars fun. after seeing how we were treated with the original game, none of us are touching this till its 20-25 dollars.