very low fps on HD 3470

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by ashik, May 29, 2008.

1. ashik

ashik New Member

i have been experiencing lots of problems in games and thought it would be best to put it here :D

i recently purchased a toshiba a300-15m laptop with the foll specs:
    intel core2 duo 2.16GHz
    2GB ram DDR2
    250GB HDD
    vista 32 bit HP
    DX10.1 supported Mobility Radeon HD 3470 256 MB

now my first two test of games were assassin's creed and crysis,these two are actually high end system demanding games but in any case i beleive this card should play atleast decently on.
    however i was pretty shocked to find out the foll:
    assassin's creed 800x600 resolution and all options set to 2/4
    i can run the game wit an avg of 13 fps around 10-16 fps
    increase the resolution a bit and it goes down to 8 fps avg.

crysis on the other hand is even more demanding...to run properly i need to put it all on low setting and it gives 18 fps lol.

i tried to find the problem out and came up with foll problems:

Vista and DX10 reduce game FPS on lower processing system.
    HD 3470 is an entry level graphic card.
    My graphic card has been underclocked. GPU default is 680 MHz and Memory is 500 MHz but unfortunately it runs at 347 and 247 resp.

however to these problem i cant decide the solution
    either i can try overclocking the card but its risky as it can fry my whole laptop.
    or try downgrading to xp with DX9.

i use the laptop for graphic modelling games movies and lots of stuff although the game performance is really frustrating, the problem is there in all new games as such from CoD4 to pro street

any response on a better way to solve will really be appreciated :D

Thanks in advance :D

2. tcman

tcman New Member

I see you recently bought the mentioned toshiba a300-15m notebook with HD3470 mobility onboard graphics; you also said you need it for graphics modelling, games and movies. Well, if you do not travel a lot with the notebook, you should consider to built a dedicated pc for around the same price as your current notebook. I do not exactly know the price of the notebook, but considering the specs it should be around 700 Euros. With this budget you can build a decent pc with a Intel P35/P45 based motherboard, an Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo, a Geforce 8800GT 512MB (G92), a decent power supply (e.g. the Corsair VX450), a decent pc case (e.g. Coolermaster CM690 or the value Antec Three Hundred) and a DVD rewriter costs only around the 20-25 Euros (e.g. for installing Windows XP/Vista etc.).

As for the problems you are encountering now with the mentioned games like Assasin Creed and Crysis, the onboard HD3470 Mobility is simply too under-powered for these type of games (i.e. 3D games); You won't even be able to play older games like Doom 3 (from 2004) with decent framerates by using the mentioned mobility graphics, even at 800x600. Although you can run the more older games like Quake 3 (or the very first Unreal Tournament) with higher and playable framerates by using the HD 3470 mobility. i would not overclock any components of the notebooks, since the benefits are minimal, especially the bottlenecks is clearly the mobility graphics and your notebook is also for work, it would be devastating if the notebook breaks because that OC.

If you travel a lot with the notebook and need it for work, you may consider a notebook with (at least) a Geforce 8600m GT (or the newer Geforce 9500m gs) which is much faster than the ATI-AMD's HD 3470 and HD3650 mobility graphics for games. If you bought the notebook recently you should be able to return it and exchange it for a model with the mentioned Geforce 8600m GT (if I am right Acer have Notebook models, e.g. the Acer Aspire 5920 with the 8600m GT onboard which is quite reasonably priced, especially after price-cuts by many computershops, recently).

Good luck!

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  3. jp306

jp306 New Member

First you can run DX9 on Vista instead of DX10 while gaming. Overclocking that card is pointless and on a laptop it will only cause you more problems. The 3470 chip is not going to play Crysis or Assassin's Creed at what I would call playable frame rates. The specs of your laptop are good with the exception of the GPU. You can probably play a few games on it, but forget about newer Hi-End games, it's just not going to happen. Sorry to be the barer of the bad news...

4. ashik

ashik New Member

hey all

thanks for your responses
    to the first response: it isnt gonna b easy to buy a desktop as i have just recently bought it and for as exchanging its been 2 weeks perhaps since i got it and the place i got it from has a policy of exchange within a week and i have passed that time. i can try getting a different laptop(i do move quite a bit ;) ) with better card but i chose toshiba cause of their reviews. hp acer have quite a number of known defects and stuff n i was recommended getting a toshiba. this laptop is more budget compared to the rest of the toshiba collection (i knew there was a catch since it was quite cheap..darn!)
    im yet to try other games older ones ofc n ill keep writin on the thread i gues on my findings :p .
    2nd responder: vista has trouble using DX9 for some reason. i tried assassin creed on DX9 and it automatically set the resolution to 640x480 and the fps just jumped up but if i tried changing the resolution the game crashes wit a blank screen.

games may not b really important but i gotta kill some time once in awhile :(

P.S. i think the underclocking of my GPU was done preset by toshiba. and it would be a real help if someone can help me fix DX9 on vista PLS.

5. jp306

jp306 New Member

I use Vista64 and have had no problem playing any DX9 games(I always use 1280x1024) and I've played many. I think you my have a problem, but I doubt it's due to DX9 and Vista...

6. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

If you do get a new laptop try an Asus one. I don't know the details on the HD3470 exactly but I'd imagine it should be able to play Doom 3 at least or HL2 with OK frame rates. On my Asus F3Sc I can max out everything except AA and AF on Doom 3 and play it at the native 1280x800 resolution with more than playable frame rates, and it's only a GeForce 8400M. Overclocking from 400/400 to 500/500 and I've still had no issues with it and it only got better from there.

Modern laptops **can** stand up to overclocking alot better than their predecessors. I'd wait until the warranty runs out myself to start overclocking. You might try reverting to XP (I'm assuming you use Vista based on the fact that I rarely see any notebook selling without it these days)