VGPU MOD on 9700 pro?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Silverfox, Jun 2, 2003.

1. LardArse

LardArse DH No1 AMD Overclocker

Yes, its a good way, the 10k at 8k method. 8k gives me around 1.58v or so when starting out so its quite safe. Of course tweak the pot bit by bit when the computer is off.
    I grounded it to one of the grounded pins at the back of my card by solder. It might easier for you to ground it to the card slot handle with screw or the motherboard grounded screw hole with screw. Make sure both ends (the soldered joint and the ground side) are quite secured cos if running high voltage and high speed, if the joints break off when running the card, the sudden huge drop in voltage can kill your card instantly. You can use a bit of blue-tack or silicone to help strengthen the joint, and just peel off the blue tack or silicone when you wanna reverse the mod.

2. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks for all your help! It will probably be a few days before I get everything I need, but knowing me I`ll more than likely be asking you a few more questions. Thanks again for all your replys!;)

3. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, I completed the vgpu mod and included some pics below, and the first complete benchmark after incrementally adjusting the voltage in .25v steps along with 5mhz increments in clock speeds. Around 351 was my limit on the memory before a little black snow starting showing up. I only did the vgpu mod, and not the Vref or vdd to the memory yet. I can still crank the voltage up to 17volts to the hsf(fan) and probably get it in the 35cfm range from its stock 24cfm, and also mount a small fan on the back side of the core, if you think spinning the fan faster and the extra fan on the back will help? I only went to 1.72V to the gpu, and 405mhz assuming that may be pretty close to my limit for now, what do you think? Also where do they best depict the Vref and vdd mods site wise and what size pots did you use and what ohmic value did you start them out at? Also where on the board do you read the voltages for these two memory mods? Also I decided to use the smd grabber, since you can reverse the mod easily. I found the grabbers at Fry`s electronics, and the part # is 5243-02 Pomona SMD Grabber/ two per pkg. Fry`s stock# 1910699 cost= $3.99 Im stuck at 133 fsb on this locked intel mb(D845pece) 2.4 P4, so until I upgrade, these little mods is about all I can play around with! I sure want to thank you for all your help so far, cause this thread with your input will more than likely help some other folks in the future. Heres the pics and 1st benchmark. http://msnusers.com/Silverfoxvoltagemodgpu/shoebox.msnw
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=875135 ;)

4. LardArse

Very nice. Thats a big arse heatsink you got on the plate! :duh:
    From the pic, I can see you have a Rev 1 board. Here are the memory Vmods.

[​IMG]

The one on the left is Vref, right is Vmem. For Vref, you can use either resistor mod or pencil. If you use pencil, make sure you do one line each time before testing. Measure your Vref before mod. Keep Vref below 1.5v. Be very careful with Vref, tune little by little. 1.46 to 1.49v is best. Resistor mod for Vref and Vmem, you can use 10k ohm VR starting at 10k ohms and tune it down bit by bit. I suggest 3.08 to 3.15v for V mem but you can experiment, keep it below 3.4v.

Measure points, pic from crucible.

http://thecrucible.ca/images/voltages.jpg

As for your GPU, you can feel how hot the bottom of your heatsink gets. If its very hot then switching to a more powerful fan will help. If not, then not much point. 1.72 is a good spot for air cooling. I doubt you will gain much above this but can try for 1.75v.

5. tek

tek New Member

Goddamn ultra-smart people like LandArse make me feel very small... modding the videocard's voltages and puttin all those cables in like that? I suggest you go get yourself a career in this shit... have your life set for you.

6. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, thanks for the info! I have a Fluke #51 digital thermometer and cant get the probe to the center of the hsf due to the tight copper fin configuration, but at normal computing chores the temps on the backside of the board directly under the core is 91F and the edge of the copper hs is 92F. Im sure its warmer right on the surface of the gpu core than 92F, but using the edge of the hs as a reference, when one commences to elevate voltages and clock speeds do you think after a few minutes the temp increase directly on the surface of the core would spread proportionately to the backside and hs edge reference temp. points I pointed out? Also if you dont do the vddq mod to the graphics memory voltage regulator, but yet do the vref and vmem, this wont being putting any strain on the vddq regulator will it? And yeah I thought the rev .1 boards started out with the nomenclature depicting the # 10 equaling rev. 1 , 11=rev.2, and 12=rev.3 You know all ATI would ever explain about the revisions to the general public was that at the time of card manufacturing they may have had to use various manufacturer`s components on the assembly line that were readily available at that assembly date. They never said the revisions reflected any changes to correct any previous flaws to the very first board made. That was the exact response I got back from them personally a few months back. (True or not who really knows!) ;)

7. LardArse

If the back is cool, then the GPU should be near there as well. It doesn't seem to have any side effects skipping the Vddq for me. Just don't go too high on the Vref. The Vmem can take higher voltages but that doesn't help too much. Well, I spot the voltage regulator chips on your board and those are the ones for the Rev 1 boards, with the one for Vref different and smaller.

tek, I'm not ultrasmart, I just enjoy poking at my hardware
    ;)

8. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks LardArse! Have you heard then what is a tolerable safe ceiling limit, temp wise on the gpu core, and did you use the same exact grounding point on your card for both memory vmods using the 10K pots? I will mount a little fan on the backside of the board directly over the core, I just need to find some little nylon or plastic legs to glue on the fans base in order to elevate it about 1/2 inch. ;)

9. LardArse

I think you should use your overclock to test out the "temp" ceiling, if its stable in 3D, it can't be overheating. I didn't use the same ground but you can use the same ground if you like, there is no difference.
    You can use blue tack as the raised platform cum stickie.

10. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks again, and I`ll let you know how it all goes in several days! I got to take care of what my wife considers more important chores around here this weekend, than this F%&!$?G computer! Talk to ya later!;)

11. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, The card now has the vref,vdd,and additional backside fan mods added, to go along with the gpu mod. Before I shut the system down I jogged down the stock voltages on the vref and vdd. They were vref=1.37v and vdd=2.92v
    Dialed both 10K pots to exactlly 10K and proceeded with mod. Re-installed, powered up, and checked the voltages immediately.The vref=1.44v and the vdd=3.02v. With the 10k, it dont leave much breathing space for the vref, but got some room to spare on the vdd. I haven`t done any testing yet temp wise or benching, but just thought I`d let you know everything went fine. I included some pics below and I`ll re-post later and let you know how the testing goes, providing I dont start frying bacon! (Just kidding!) When I get the core up over 405 and the mem v`s maxed out to the safe limits, I`ll take some temp readings around the hsf and post back on them also! Here`s the pics: http://www.msnusers.com/Silverfoxgpuvrefvddvoltagemods/shoebox.msnw?Page1 ;) P.S. Man your right, that is one big arse heatsink on the regulator plate! (Just a piece of hs off and old socket fan I had in the junkpile! Very lightweight aluminum! Cheap too! :D

12. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

LardArse, the max. voltages I ran during bench testing were as follows: GPU=1.80v, VREF=1.462v,and the
    VDD=3.25 The idle temp on the edge of the core hsf was 92 degrees and under full load in the nature scene it was 98 degrees. Started getting a little black snow at 425/370, so I backed off 5 on each. Ambient temp in the house was around 74 degrees, so maybe this winter or a new release of drivers will get me over the 6,000 mark. Your definitely right about the vref. I went to 1.47v and got horizontal lines, and shut down immediately. The only thing I didn`t do was spin the hsf fan faster at 17v and get it up to around 35cfm. It only pushes around 24 at 12v. But that probably wouldn`t have helped but about a 1 or 2 degree drop on the core. Like I said earlier, this rig is my bottleneck not being able to Oc anything else but the vid card itself, pretty much puts the brakes on for now! Where exactly do you run your settings in the ati control panel in gl, and 3d, when your benching, and do you leave the application preference checked, fastwrites on or off, write combining on or off? I have a 18 inch flat panel and just leave it on 60hz, since I disable v-sync during benching. The max on the F/P is either 76 or 80 hz I believe. Also I want to think you personally for all the tips and help you have provided in this thread for myself, and any of the other guys in the future, that may happen to be on sick leave from work and don`t have anything better to do! Here`s the benchmark: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=884860 ;)

13. LardArse

Very nice!
    I'm so glad I have been of some help. As for settings during benching, I use most of Oemga drivers's defaults except tuning textures to high performance and of course disabling FSAA and AF. Fast writes is on of course.

14. HardWired

HardWired New Member

Reviving an old thread here.

Can anyone tell me by looking at the page mentioned earlier in this thread:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon9700pro-overclocking.html

if the 2.7k ohm resistor used in that mod is 1/8th watt?

I have a friend who is going to solder a resistor in like that and he says his 2.7k ohm resistors are 1/8th watt. I just want to make sure I'm using the same thing.

I don't want to go with the adjustable pot like Silverfox and LardArse did. I'm not in to dialing in the max volts the GPU will handle. If that 2.7k ohm resistor gives a standard 1.75 volts to the GPU by soldering it in between pins 18 and 20 like mentioned, that will be fine with me. I don't need to go to the bleeding edge with the volts on the GPU. I think 1.75 will give me enough juice to get to the 400MHz level when o'cing it. And Silverfox says his GPU handles 1.80 volts, so 1.75 won't be overdoing it by using the resistor. Plus, I just want a nice clean solder of the resistor with no fuss, no wires, and a nice clean look to it like you see in the picture in the link above.

Thx!

15. LardArse

Wattage doesn't matter for this, very little current going through it so you can use the smallest but bigger is fine as well.
    I'm not too sure 2.7k ohms would give you 1.75v, I think it might give you higher than that. If you want to be safe, use around 3.5k ohms, which will give +/- 1.7v. But it will be easier to use a variable.

16. HardWired

HardWired New Member

So are you saying the author of that mod page is not being factual with his numbers? Possibly trying to lead someone down the path to destruction of his/her video card? I wish I could email the author, but the link to "FastSite", the supposed author, is just a dead mailto: link.

I was hoping it was right on the money so I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of volt testing and dialing in and all that jazz.

In a perfect world, the resistors would be soldered in and it would result in the accepatble volts the author claims.

I dunno :duh:

Like I told SIlverfox in some PM's, I gather parts and build and tweak computers, but I know next to nothing about specific electronics/resistors/capacitors and PCB's and whatnot.

I just don't want go through the dialing in, testing, dialing in, testing, and possibly overdoing it and frying the card. I'd like to have the resistors soldered in for me and be done with it. So your saying if that's the case, use a 3.5k instead of a 2.7k to be safe? How about the VDDQ with the 10kOhm resistor to pins 1 and 4 like the author suggests. Would you change that to be safe as well?

I'm going to do the same HSF mod that Silverfox did, so the GPU will be cool. I did it once already on another 9700 Pro and it is a great cooling mod for the GPU. But I don't need to get the max the card can do, I'm just looking for something in the high 300's to low 400's MHz range on the core. Something on par with the 9800 pro. I currently get 345/331 without artifacts on my 9700 Pro...not the best. So I'm hoping with just some nominal juicing of the volts, I can get to the 9800 Pro range.

17. ToshiroOC

ToshiroOC Unbiased.

In a perfect world, all of the possible variables and changes that are inevitable between today's boards wouldn't make every board unique in some way and make it impossible to give an exact number ;) Also, why not just get a variable one? It's much safer to use one, since you can always start with the voltage relatively low and then scale up, versus jumping high at the getgo and risking going too high, and variable resistors are probably only a couple bucks at most.

18. HardWired

HardWired New Member

It's not the cost. And I will probably just go with the advise from LardArse and go wtih a 3.5k. I'm not looking for extreme o'cing, just something in the high 300's to low 400MHz.

I may sell the card towards the end of the year when ATI's next gen. card comes out, and if the vmod on the GPU is done with the resistor, it'll look very clean. If I use a pot, a wire will have to be run from one of the pins to a ground spot, and I really don't want that, for aesthetic reasons. It gives it more of a jury rigged look, rather than the cleaner looking mod with the resistor from pins 18 to 20. Plus, again, I really don't feel the need to dial in the max volts the GPU will handle, just something moderate that will allow for high 300's to low 400's o'c on the core like I mentioned.

19. HardWired

HardWired New Member

Well I figured I'd hop on this thread again since it contains some good info about the 9700 voltage gpu hard mod.

Here's my vgpu mod on my 9700 Pro. It's a 1/8th watt 3.5k ohm resistor.

[​IMG]

I took your advise LardArse and went with 3.5k ohms. I actually did that solder job myself. Can you tell? ;) I know...kind of ugly, but not too bad IMO for my first try. As you can see there's a solder blob slightly close to pin 19 but it doesn't present a problem as long as it's not touching. And the wires aren't bent as nice as I'd like but like I said...it's my first try.

I say first try because I'm actually going to redo it and go with a lower ohm resistor, like a 3.0, or maybe even the 2.7 that the guy posting on xbitlabs.com used. With this 3.5k I used, my max core o'c is 384MHz. without artifacts. That's leaving the mem at default 310, just to be sure that an o'ced mem isn't interfering with my o'ced core. Not bad (9800 Pro speed), but I was shooting for 400 or better. And at that o'c the heatspreader on the back definitely needed help so I bought a Zalman Northbridge heatsink shipped with thermal adhesive for $6.47. There was enough thermal adhesive left over to do some ramsinks too, so I think I'll be ordering some of those soon. I haven't even done the vmem yet and the ram is burning hot to the touch, so I guess the ramsinks can't hurt. The NB heatsink on the heatspreader certainly helped a lot.

LardArse...my card is the latest revision with the two indetical looking Intersil chips for the Vref and Vmem like the one pictured here in this discussion on hard modding the 9700 at extremeoverclocking.com: LINK .

Do you have an opinion of what size resistor to use on those? Can you guys (SilverFox?) using adjustable pots measure how many ohms of resistance the pots are producing? Or does it not work like that? Again, while I'm a long time computer builder, I'm an electronics newbie and know next to nothing about ohms, watts, volts, resistance, and all that.

Thanks for any input you can throw my way...

20. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

i have no idea wuts going right now.....