Virginia Considers Ban on Text Messaging While Driving

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Iria, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Source: Tech-Ex
    When California enacted its law banning 16- and 17-year olds from cell phone use while driving (it takes effect July 1st), I asked, "Why stop there?" While there is also a law on the books (starting the same day) which requires all drivers to be hands-free when using a cell phone while driving, that law doesn't address text-messaging or email use - and I know from experience how hazardous that can be.

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

considers banning it? it should be common sense to ban using a mobile phone at all while driving (except for hands-free)

3. Iria

Iria New Member

That would require waaaay too much common sense, right?

4. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Hands-free isn't necessarily better as it's not the control of the hands that is the main problem. By the way, text messaging 40-year olds are probably more dangerous. ;)

6. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

Handsfree means you don't have to look at the phone looking for the phone for incoming voicecalls and can keep your eyes on the road. Dialling while driving is dangerous too. Handsfree is redundant for SMS and email but as they will hopefully be fully outlawed it doesn't matter. Talking into a headset/mic is no different to talking to someone who is in the car as you still have the same ability to stay focused on the road in front and any potential dangers.