Vista 64 Driver Update Problem

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Flanker, May 4, 2009.

1. Flanker

Flanker New Member

I've got a Sager Notebook with 9800M GTs in SLI, I keep the system clean, tidy, and defragged.

I've been running nVidias 179.28 beta drivers for my games, they were running like gang busters. I updated to the 185.81 betas, using the add and remove programs feature, and driver cleaner.net in safe mode (rebooting when indicated). I used just the nVidia and physx filters. I installed the 185.81 betas per nVidias instructions, rebooting when indicated.

As soon as I fired up a game with the 185.81s, I had a horrible case of horizontal red bands running from the top to the bottom of my display. I tried several other games with the same results.

I previously had this issue with the successor to the 179.28 betas, the 179.48 betas. I had uninstalled them, scrubbed with DCnet and reinstalled the 179.28s to get the stellar performance noted above (yes I should have left the 179.28s alone, but you know how it is.......just couldn't resist the update to the 185.81s to try and get a few more FPS).

So I uninstalled and scrubbed the 185.81s as I did with the 179.48s, only I still have the horrid red horizontal bands running across my screen from top to bottom. Doesn't make any difference if I reinstalled the previously killer running 179.28 betas, or the stock drivers my Sager came with. It's like the 185.81s corrupted something in the comp or 9800Ms and it's not being dug out by DCnet (all though it could be something else).

I can't seek professional help as I'm in Iraq, and vigorous cursing has not helped! BTW: That advice you always get to "BACK UP YOUR STUFF" bfore changing anything. Well that's really good advice.........I should have followed it and have been kicking myself mercilessly ever since for not doing it! :(

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated!

2. Flanker

Flanker New Member

Yea..........OK..........I worked it out by myself. ;)

It wasn't a driver or DC.net issue. You'd think I would have done this at the beginning, but I didn't...........I turned off SLI on my rig yesterday and the GFX are fine now. Running great on the new 185.85 Vista 64 Drivers. Looks like the other 9800M GT that gets switched off when you disable SLI is a bad card. :x I can only imagine how gonzo my frame rate would be if teh second card was working!! :evil:

3. Flanker

Flanker New Member

It's not even a bad GFX card............I'm back in the States, and have access to my comp tools now. I took the plate off over my notebook fans, blew out the last of the moon dust from Iraq, then used my minature needle nose pliers to unplug and reconnect all five of the leads coming off the four cooling fans. Voila! No more GFX issues (red lines from the first post), and my SLI works fine now. :)