Voice Assistants - Do You Use Them

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by IvanV, Oct 27, 2017.

1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I always thought that voice assistants were mostly if not completely a gimmick, until today. I was in a hurry and I wanted to respond to a text message, so I decided to give it a go. To my surprise, it worked perfectly! I've sent two more after that one and I only had to make one correction, when one long word was recognized as two shorter, more common ones, that sound exactly the same. And that was in Serbian, which is hardly a mainstream language, so props to Google and their Gboard!

So now I'd like to know what else useful is there? :)

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

imo out of all of them... microsofts speech recognition seems by far the most reliable.... googles is arguably next.

However they still make mistakes frequently, or don't pick up well enough, i find tone of voice, lower tones tend to produce some wildly inaccurate results, however higher tones, specially women using them seem to work rather well.

Personally don't use them.

3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I use Siri all the time :)

4. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

I use Google's voice assistant on my phone when searching on google.ca and I've done it so much it's gotten to be a habit now. I can't remember the last time it made a mistake. And unfortunately you won't be getting any ideas out of me because that's the only voice assistant I use and only for searching. I prefer to send my texts the good old fashioned way.

IvanV likes this.
  5. clubrope

clubrope Member

I usually use it when I'm driving and had to reply to a text message.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Did try it out a few years ago on my android phone. It didn't work well at all. First, it didn't support swedish, I don't know if it even now does that, so I had to try it in english. Tried to send a text message but it failed every time. My english isn't that bad so I'm sure it was something else.

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

The only times I have used and liked it was when I first used it when I had OS/2 Warp (version 4 IIRC), and when I was playing a couple of submarine simulations which had them, back in the 90s again.
    Unless we are talking about a full blown real AI, I find "voice assistants" to be anything from slow to boring to useless to dangerous. (square)

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I don’t think I’d ever attempt to actually write a txt msg with one, don’t see the point, but Siri is fantastic at things like setting alarms, reminders, quick notes etc
    you know, stuff where a garbled sentence won’t potentially result in the loss of a friendship / relationship :D

Calliers likes this.
  9. clubrope

clubrope Member

I don't really use voice assistants. Seems a bother.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I prefer hand signals, like the chin flick of the cutis. Gets my point across really well.

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Smart ass.

I have to say they have improved the google voice assistant in Android 8.1 a lot. I have yet for it to say please repeat that. Even with my voice being a little messed up due to my cold.