Was Vista really 'that' bad? XP still leading the way

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 5, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Recent reports have stated that Vista has lost 0.2 per cent of market share in September to end the month with a 18.6 percent stake in the operating system market.

Even though Windows 7 has yet to be officially released it has already made a dent with a 0.3 per cent increase in September - according to web metrics company Net Applications.

This means that an 'unreleased' operating system is actually already powering 1.5 percent of computers that connected to areas of the internet that were being monitored. When Windows 7 is released to the public later this month this percentage is sure to climb as people make the move. Microsoft are hoping that Windows 7 is a bigger success story that Vista which struggled to reach even 20 percent market share when XP accounted for almost 72 percent during the month of September.

Microsoft operating systems account for just under 93 percent of the marketplace with Mac OSX accounting for around 5 percent of the public connecting to the monitored areas of the net.

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Yeah , I am using XP ;)

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Come to think of it vista didn't turn out too bad in the end.

4. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Not so bad , but I got used to XP .

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

That's because people are sheep. There is nothing wrong with Vista to deserve the bad reputation they have from people who do not own Vista.
    I feel sorry (in a look at these stupid people way) for those that have XP, blame Vista for the world's evil, and say they will buy 7.

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Well , 72 % of people can't be all stupid. It is more of tastes I guess. Everyone has the right to use what they want.

7. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

That is true...I just hated it when XP users (who had never even tried vista) were bitching about it...but I'll admit it started out a bit rocky

8. Trusteft

At least 80% of people are stupid, so yes, it can.

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Masses are easily misled, but that said, like all previous versions, Vista did have higher requirements than it's predecessor and upgrading to it wasn't necessarily a great idea for people with older hardware (who would also potentially experience driver support problems apart from performance issues), and there is a lot of such people. There's a lively market of all sorts of old second hand components in my country, as well as many other countries in the world I'm guessing, with CPUs, mobos, graphics cards... that go for €10-€25 as people try to make their PCs (physically) last for as long as possible and for that crowd Vista didn't make much sense.

On the other hand, at the time of the release, many people were bashing MS just because it was cool, many were basing their opinions on prerelease and early pirated versions and a lot of people were just echoing what those two groups were saying without ever even seeing it, which made an ordinary man avoid Vista like the plague. At the time, I picked up Vista Business x64 for free through MSDNAA and installed it out of curiosity on Athlon64 3000+, 1GB RAM and Radeon 9800Pro (a machine that was already obsolete) mainly to see how crap it really is. To my surprise, although combining 64-bit Vista and software with 1GB of RAM isn't the best idea, it wasn't really that bad at all. It was stable, it suffered no slowdowns after long up-times, demanding applications performed similarly to XP (the rare 64-bit ones were actually faster on occasion), it had some nice extra features... The only nagging issue I had was that, even though mostly snappy enough (Aero effects were smooth, applications started at a normal speed), in some areas system seemed a bit less responsive. Eventually, I decided that heavy duty 64-bit computing and 1GB RAM aren't the best of friends (as it's not just the OS, but the applications as well that use more memory) and got back to XP on that machine, but with more RAM, I think that it would have been okay. Heck, my current computer would hardly have been a monster when Vista came out, and it purrs like a kitten on it (though I switched to 7 for that extra bit of polish it's got). Generally, I think that it had much worse critiques and reception than it deserved.

10. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Not stupid Comp...more like ignorant and/or mis-informed.

How often have you seen "I've heard that Vista...." followed by "I'm staying with XP"? Or "I've tried VIsta for a few days and..."?

Vsta's only real problem was DRIVER SUPPORT in the early days by people like nVidia, Creative, etc. That, and so called "Expert Journalists" with the mistaken idea that bashing 'anything microsoft' gives them credibility.

Then there are the software people that were/are just too damned cheap and/or lazy to produce applications (especially 64 bit ones) for Vista. Take ADOBE for instance. They STILL don't have a 64 bit version of their FLASH PLAYER, which makes the 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer pretty much useless. Come ON. We are seeing the THIRD 64-bit OS from MS being released, and they can't be arsed to make one of their applications 64-bit compatabile?

Those of us that actually USE(D) Vista for any length of time know that it's MUCH better than XP.

11. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

heh.... and to add to OldBuzzards post... how many times we have threads saying moved from Vista to XP on [laptop] need drivers... And when you read the thread you will find out that the OP is moving to XP because some one told that Vista is no good ...

12. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Speaking of myself , because I don't believe rumors I gave Vista a trial already beside win 7 . They has many advantages over Xp like better system resources management and DX10 support but these advantage you can't really benefit by them unless you have a mid to high-end system. For games I have tried on Vista , I noticed a slight drop in FPS "thus they put a higher ram requirements for Vista over XP in Games". And DX10 support , how many games released that have this features since it was out. Not only that , running games in DX10 mode means a nice looking graphics but in exchange you must have a high-end card to enjoy it without notice the FPS drop or need to lower resolution.
    One last thing is the issue with obsolete softwares and games ,many of them can't run on Vista or 7 even with compatibility mode.

13. The Captain

The Captain New Member

It sure is funny to hear people bash Vista but say they will move to Windows 7, considering that Windows 7 is basically Vista with a fresh coat of paint.

14. Trusteft

Medal of Honour Airborne, back when I had my previous system, I tested on XP and Vista (trial 32bit), and it was faster on Vista.
    I have Vista 64 for about a year now and apart from 2-3 old games that use 16bit executables and don't run natively under Vista (or any other 64bit OS, so it is not a Vista thing), and ONE game that had a DRM issue after installation that was solved after downloading a noCD file (thanks Codemasters and Securom, FOR NOTHING), I had no problem with any games. Over the last year I must have installed about 150-200 games and had ZERO issues with games. About a third of the games were released before Vista was.

I don't know where you get this "issue" from, but it sounds like the usual hearsay, aka total bullshit.

15. imagination

imagination HH HH HH :)

Vista was not bad, but after XP, it should have been only 7. 7 is what vista should have been.

16. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

that's just not true.
    Vista made my 2 main comps run much slower.
    fact
    and i was having probs with creative drivers amongst others.

XP does everything I need it to, and does it quicker than vista.
    and i don't have any issue's with drivers

win 7 looks nice enough, I'll move onto it soon enough I'm sure.. :)

in the mean time, I'll stick to to xp thank you..

17. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

hmmm , well for those who have 8 GB ram and a High-end CPU and GPU they can't judge on other mainstream PCs by saying " I have no problem running all games on highest setting and don't found any frame drops on vista " , that's the real [​IMG]

18. Trusteft

Exactly how having 8GB of RAM and high end cpu has anything to do with games actually run under Vista?
    You failed.

19. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I am referring to Frames drop now , regarding the old softwares / games , you sure haven't tried every single one on the earth , do you ?

20. Trusteft

It is going to be too easy, I will stop this now.