Watercooling - worth it?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Takaharu, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Those fan speeds.... 850 RPM is awfully slow. Any way to speed those up?

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I can but that's leaning away from quietness. Test #2 for this evening.

3. Tyrsonswood

A decent 120mm fan at 1000-1100 or so shouldn't make much noise and move a considerable amount of air compared to the same fan @ 850..... (more if what you have are "cheap" fans) 850 is like idle speeds.

I either missed it, or you didn't answer.... are there any vacant fan locations or "optional" fan locations?

4. Takaharu

I didn't mention the 120mm fan speed (not sure what that is offhand), I was referring to the three 180mm fans at the bottom of the case.
    There are no vacant dedicated fan spaces and I'm not sure how much benefit I'd get out of exhaust fans. That's something I'll have to ponder. I still need to establish whether I want to go down the WC route or deck out the case with more fans.

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

It's definitely cheaper to experiment with more fans first :p

(If you're anything like me you have loads of crap ones lying around anyway - you can always splash out on decent fans and controllers if the experiments prove successful.)

6. Takaharu

If I have enough spare fans then sure, testing them out is a good idea. I don't think I've got enough spare. If memory serves, I have one 180mm fan and an 80mm fan.
    Still, fiddling abound this evening :)

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm a bit puzzled..

with the side off my case the 3 gpu's rise in temperature by about 5*C.... with it on they drop back down.

where is the case located.. is it getting good cool airflow (sucking from the bottom)?

some people tend to leave cases on the floor (bad idea).. specially if they are carpeted (really really quite bad)

I've my case up about 3-4 feet.... standing alone with utterly no air restrictions anywhere... and the only air it gets is most of the time untouched with nothing else around it that could warm it up.

throughout the year i have it close enough but far enough to a window that draws fresh air in that really makes the temperatures drop rapidly too.

8. Takaharu

My case is on the floor and the floor is laminate wood. So you think I should prop the case up on something? Couldn't hurt.

9. Tyrsonswood

I was going to ask about carpet.... you already answered that question.

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

While that should be the coolest place for it to be (lowest point on the floor is the coolest but also where there is the most debree to suck in)

and being that it's laminated wood... it should be doing just fine..

although i would recommend to keep from an excessive amount of dust being sucked in to raise it at least about 6 to 8 inches off the floor.

But i can't see that haveing a huge impact on it..

I'm still wondering why your getting such poor cooling performance with that case....

11. Takaharu

Well I changed around the fans; the bottom fans were all going to the motherboard and now they're going to my fan controller. I've also cranked up the speed substantially, though still around 1000 RPM. During gaming I can flick the middle fan to high speed on the RV02 to pump up the speed and hopefully make all the difference.
    At the moment GPU1 is at 34°C and GPU2 is at 44°C - a heck of a difference. The noise level is somewhere around 40db, apparently (though the iPhone isn't the most accurate tool to use).

I guess I had the fan speeds that little too low. I'll see how things go with Crysis 2 tomorrow evening.

12. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

13. Tyrsonswood

Hope that sorts the issue for you...... ;)

14. Takaharu

I had enough time to try out (continue) Crysis 2 tonight. The sound still stuttered after half an hour's gameplay (ignore the hour part, it was a guesstimate). It's not the fault of the airflow in the case; after closing the game the GPU temps dropped like a ton of bricks - over 70°C down to 40°C in 1 minute, whereas before it was taking quite a bit longer.

I'll explain it a bit more. After half an hour's gameplay the sound stutters during (only) cutscenes and the graphics lag noticeably during gameplay. Starting up the game is fine but when those cards get hot, the effects kick in.
    I think the next step will be to change to the onboard soundcard to see if that makes a difference to the audio playback. That'll have to wait until tomorrow night.

This is making progress, I think.

Out of interest, is anyone able to answer this question?

15. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

How hot do the cards get in game?

16. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

are the cards pretty balanced in heat during game play or is one card much hotter? have you cleaned the cards out? ultimately a spot cooling fan might be the trick just to keep the air by the sound card moving some

17. Takaharu

The cards get to around 80°C, which, if I'm not mistaken, isn't really that hot for a graphics card running at full pelt.
    GPU1 tends to be somewhere between 3-6°C hotter than GPU 2. Both cards are pretty clean.

18. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

As you say, sounds pretty standard. Are their fans getting up to 100%?

19. Takaharu

No, but I'd like to be able to hear the game at 60db.

20. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I realise, but I was asking because if they were, that would be a sign that they were struggling with the heat.