Ways the US gov is working against it's citzens

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by OnDborder, Feb 4, 2007.

1. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

Please edit,, "citizens"
    Well, I'll start it off..
    Illegal immigration(occupation)
    The lack of control of the borders, which is one of the duties of the federal goverment if not the only one, is one in my book. The Congress sat on their hands while some of us were writing, emailing, and talking to them about this problem years ago.
    Another, the suspension of habeaus corpus..

2. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

3. Dowaco

Dowaco New Member

So "by the people, for the people" is no longer in effect?
    Is it us against "them" whoever them is?

Elected officials are supposed to represent the majority. The minority has a voice but certainly does not always get what it wants. I am not endorsing or rejecting the actions you pointed out, just saying you get what you vote for if you are in the majority. You complain and campaign for change if you are in the minority. In that sense, the govt is always working against at least some of the people some of the time.

4. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

That majority you might be referring to is more than happy to hire those illegal immigrants for substantially less.

5. Dowaco

Dowaco New Member

Exactly, which is why nothing is being done about it.

The major way the government is working against its citizens is to take over 1/3 of our earnings in taxes to maintain their power base via pork, handouts, welfare, etc.

6. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

7. cozumel

cozumel I'm dangerous but cute...

I stopped driving about six years 'cos I got pissed at the congestion at parking problems. I spend somewhere between $75-$150 in a typical week on cabs (don't like or feel comfortable in public transport system). I'm all for increased taxation of motorists and gas!!!

Does that make me popular with you guys???? No....Well tough!! :D

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  8. Dowaco

Dowaco New Member

If they raise taxes at bridges and tunnels then it will encourage people to drive the long way around and use even more gas. Spend an extra $5 for gas to save $15 on tolls. It will encourage working from home which means productivity will fall, tourism will fall, small businesses will fail.
    Higher taxes are rarely good for anyone.

9. Zelig

Zelig New Member

That's why gas taxation would be increased too...

10. cozumel

Something like $7.50 / gallon would be perfect.

11. Dowaco

Dowaco New Member

And people would pay it. Oil companies would not be hurt, only the poor and lower middle class would suffer due to increased transportation costs.
    Politicians would use the windfall to line their own pockets, or to ensure their re-election.

That's how a government punishes its own citizens, tax the crap out of them. The harder they work and the more they earn, the more the govt takes to give to those who do not contribute.

12. cozumel

People would have the option of driving cars on biofuel or electric / hybrid on zero tax or getting VW beetles with small engines / high mpg. Alternatively everyone could ride nice big yamahas which go miles quicker than most cars and are loads more economical.

As for politicians lining their pockets....that's how we truly do get shafted and is the way all governments / politicians work against their citizens.

13. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

14. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

And just what do you think that your cab rides would cost you per week if this happened?

Just because you don't personally drive a car doesn't mean that an increased gas tax wouldn't affect you.

15. OnDborder

OnDborder New Member

Mexican trucks "ok'd" to transport freight in the continental U.S... Critics bash Mexican truck decision - Yahoo! News

Oh boy..
    What do you think these truckers are going to use for currency?? The dollar or peso?
    In order to ease the confusion, that's what goverment/congress does best, the amero will be instituted..

Thank you Clinton and the Congress for nafta.. "What's that sucking sound??"

16. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Yay, now California can be 90% hispanic and I can be the minority! I'm guessin they won't be shipping just freight in those things (especially with mexican pay wages). That is of course if you don't don't consider illegal immigrants freight.

We should change the sign on the statue of liberty to "Closed for Renovations"

Actually, I think a sudden increase in gas prices will force prices for everything else down (or at least less inflation in other parts of the economy). Joe blue collar wont be buying that new big screen TV if he can barely afford gas and rent.

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Yep, that move costs 100,000's of US job's. These where high paying high benefit jobs too....
    as large mfg's like RCA (Thompson) moved their operations from us soil to down there. Not
    only that they saved so much money on labor and screwing their life employees out of millions
    in retirement benefits. Now add to that supplying the US. with inferior quailty products, with a
    high return / fail rate. night and day difference compaired to before the move.

now after the fire storm over mexico, the RCA boxes now say "made in china" vs the made
    in mexico thats beccomeing unpopular.

hust to think that used to say made in america, and used to be a quailty product,
    now the brand is sh**

Thanks nafta, thanks bill clintion, thanks democrats

correct the price of all store bought goods would increase as well.

not to mention drugs etc...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  18. cozumel

Fuel prices for mass transportation and vehicles over 7.5 tonnes that transport freight could be kept at current prices. This would keep retail prices down, increase the use of buses/trains while decreasing the number of small private vehicles polluting the atmosphere. The associated slump in car sales would force massive investment by manufacturers into clean, non-polluting alternatives to the combustion engine. With the political will this could be done.

19. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

1) the people wouldn't stand for it / everybody pays the same amount for gas
    with variations from station to station...
    2) the poor aka the mass public would suffer
    3) mfg's may do that but again unless your rolling in cash, to be able to afford
    a $60,000 + car... again you'd be sol

20. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

While that sort of thing may work in our larger more dense cities, it most certainly wouldn't work throughout the rest of the country. People need transportation to get to work, and if I could ride some kind of mass transit system to get to where I work I would, but I work 2 counties over, and late at night on top of it, so it would actually end up being LESS economical for me to be the only person (or one of 2 or 3 people) on the transport for the 26 miles from my home to my job than it would be for me to drive myself.

I'm all for alternatives, and they are coming. They may not be right around the corner, but they are being worked on. I think that people need to not be so short sighted in the way they look at the world. Not everyone has mass transit right outside their door. Not all places have mass transit that get anywhere near them. This doesn't even figure into it the massive "investment" that the local municipalities and states and the federal "investment" that would have to be instituted to initially fund this kind of massive change. That money would come from the taxpayers in the form of EXTREME taxation. If you think that it would come from corporate taxes, then it still in the long run would come from the end-user (taxpayers).

What you are suggesting here would lead the US, and possibly the entire world, to economic ruin faster than you can say "confiscatory tax policy." The US is way to big, geographically, to institute any kind of country-wide mass transit system.