WD 15EARS (Caviar Green) not being read on SATA

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BiGBrOwNPimpsta, Oct 15, 2012.

1. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

Hi guys,

So I have a weird situation which is annoying me. As you know, I built my behemoth rig a few months back and still got a few things to purchase in order to finish it up. My 1.5 TB Caviar Green drive just won't work on this PC, however my Vantec eSATA/USB enclosure works fine on USB 2.0. I have suspicion the drive doesn't want to work with my board. I have tried this so far.

- Changing sata connection to the different controllers onboard
    - Sata 2 cables instead of 3
    - Updated the BIOS

Funny thing that happens is when I plug in the drive on the intel controller, Intel RST picks up a drive was "removed". But nothing pops up.

Anyone heard of any issues with the P9X79 and WD Green drives? I really need this thing back up and running for backups.

And yes, I am alive for people who are wondering why I don't post much.

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

How do you have the Intel controller set up? RAID or AHCI?

Asus supplies 2 drivers for the Intel controller on their site, which are you using? If the newer, try the older.

An odd thing is the ASMedia controller only has 2 settings: IDE and AHCI for the eSATA port. You mentioned the Vantec worked for USB, but was that via the USB 2.0 ports, or USB 2.0 via the USB 3.0 ports? Did it work in the USB 3.0 ports? Also, did it work for eSATA as well? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to see if the ASMedia controller, the one controlling the 4xUSB 3.0 ports, is actually working.

I also assume you don't have any of the jumpers set on the drive either, right?

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

No jumpers on them, all are set on AHCI. I didn't try USB3.0 ports, but should be fine since its an older 2.0 enclosure. The asmedia drivers are installed and I can't get the drive to read on eSATA (originally thats what I tried since it was hooked up that way on my old PC).

I've swapped between bays on my 800D and they all work fine with my 2 Seagates. I have never had good luck with WD, all drives have failed. Which is funny, because Seagate is usually the culprit of higher failures!

4. Tipstaff

Does the bios actually see the drive?

5. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

No sir, thats where I am thinking the issue is. But Intel RST detects something as "unplugged" when its plugged into Windows.

6. Tipstaff

If you don't have the drive hooked up, does it still show this error with RST?

And I know you've tried other cables, but I'd still be looking at hookup as a culprit. Either the cable, the connector on the motherboard or hard drive.. even the power connector OR the line it's on coming from the PSU. In that regards I would try disconnecting the cable at the drive side, leaving the cable connected to the motherboard to see if any errors get generated in Windows (specifically with Intel's RST as you mentioned above) along with trying a different SATA power connector on a different line... maybe even use a molex to SATA power cable if you have one. You've probably already tried these, but I figured I'd suggest it anyways.

BTW, have you tried hooking the drive up via SATA AFTER you've got the PC booted into Windows? If you are running AHCI you should be able to do this. All you do is have the power plugged in at bootup, and once Windows is up and running plug in the SATA cable. Should work like a hot-swap drive. Just don't disconnect the drive while it's running unless you "eject" it first.

7. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

I got a Corsair 800D, there are hot swap bays. Like I said, I switched between the bays with the same results. However, using the Seagate drives in every bay (which connects to diff SATA connectors on the board) works fine.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you hook up the drive AFTER windows booted with raid/AHCI enabled.. MAKE SURE the ports your plugging into have the "hot swappable" function ENABLED in the bios otherwise you likely won't get anything.

9. Tipstaff

At this point I would usually just leave it be, keep using it either on the old machine, or via USB as it's working, and/or consider getting a replacement to backup the drive.

The only other thing I can think of that might be causing this is a bad master boot record. It normally shouldn't keep the drive from being detected by the bios, but you never know. I mean, I've seen boot record viruses cause this very issue. It's a long shot, but you could try repairing the MBR to see if that does the trick. Mind you, I would copy the data on that drive elsewhere before doing this.

That would also be another suggestion: copy the data off via USB to another drive, delete the partition, maybe even use something like [email protected] Killdisk and create a new one, or delete the partition, reboot with the drive connected via SATA to see if the bios detects the drive, then create a new partition when in Windows.

The reason I mention this method is due to a recent problem I ran into with my WD Black drive that I've been running on my Marvell controller. The damn drive will not work when I move it to the Intel controller. Or rather, it works, but everything appears corrupt. Can't save to it, can't read from it.. nothing. Put it back on the Marvell controller, and everything is fine except the recent data I tried to save to it appears corrupt. I had to copy the data to another drive on the Intel controller, redo the partition on the WD Black while on the Intel controller, and everything has been fine since. I know it's not the same issue, but it's worth noting how much a controller can effect things, especially if that drive of yours was connected to a different controller before.