Weird Issue ZXR

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Z/ZX/ZXR' started by Legionx, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Legionx

Legionx New Member

I own a ZXR since the day I bought it had an ongoing issues even 1 RMA later still have the issue. So the issue is DBPro what it would do after a day or a month (usually very random) DBpro would vanish and no power would go the ZXR daughter board. Talked to creative about 100 times about this so have others and no fix. I tried the pax driver which worked really good but then I lost sound to both devices after a few months. I think it has something to do with the Z control panel but failed to pinpoint what causes it to just shut down. Only fix i got right now is keep rebooting my computer tell it turns on. I'm just wondering if anyone experienced this issue and if there is any work around with the PAX driver. So what I can say is this:

- Windows 10 did not fix the issue
    - Windows 7 had same issue
    - Problem is extremely random
    - Tried different PCI express slot same issue
    - Tried re-detecting hardware in device manager still wont find it
    - Updated BIOS and disabled on board sound still same issue
    - Tried various drivers creative and PAX (which worked better)
    - No power goes to the device (no optical light and DBpro is gone)

2. Kennbo

Kennbo New Member

Same issue especially after standby, also had some other issues like total PC freeze and since I de-installed creative drivers/software and unplugged the ZxR completely all is running smoothly. For 1 week the test is running without creative and since then my PC is working as intended. The ZxR is such a nice card and the sound is MUCH better than the onboard one, means I miss the good sound but ok, better to have worse onboard sound than restart the PC very often if I have no sound at all with optical out.

I also wrote to Creative support but they replied with the standard text like I'm a noob. (Update BIOS, update SSD Firmware...) so I gave up this way. Maybe it's an issue with the SSD (Samsung 950 pro NVMe) but why all other hardware/software works with it? Do you also have a NVMe SSD?

I will try a re-install with PAX drivers the next days... It's making me sad to invest lot of money for hardware with crappy drivers. My System:

Win10 Pro
    Asus Z170 Deluxe
    Intel i7 6700K @4300
    Corsair DDR4-2133 - 32GB @XMP1-2400 1,2V
    NVidia Geforce GTX660 - 2GB
    Be quiet! Dark Power Pro P11 - 550W
    Samsung 950 pro NVMe - 512GB
    Samsung 850 pro AHCI - 256GB
    LG Blu Ray Player BH08LS20

P.S. Of course I also tried non-OC before I unplugged the ZxR...
    P.P.S. Sorry for my "English". :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  3. Legionx

Legionx New Member

Yea i have a Samsung SSD myself don't think its that mind you. Even from what I read online a lot have the same issue. It is something to do with the switching since it's software controlled that's where I think creative made there mistake. I'm trying Windows drivers this way i avoid using creative console for switching devices. This is what I know so far:

Windows drivers - You can switch between headset and speaker in sound settings (regardless of what creative console is set on)
    Creative drivers - Need to use console to switch between devices plus set it to the right device in windows sound settings

I got totally different hardware then you also and a lot of others who had the same issue also had different hardware. It is a comparability issue but with what is anyone's guess. One guy said its the graphic card so you can try disabling all sound devices but the ZXR. Well I'll see how the Windows driver goes.

4. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Did you guys disable fast boot? I was having blu screen no more issues after i did that.

5. Legionx

Legionx New Member

Turned it off just now. I just need to do reinstall drivers tell dbpro appears again then see how it works.

6. Legionx

Legionx New Member

Ok finally got everything installed again and working goes to test now with fastboot off see if there is any issues.

7. Legionx

Legionx New Member

Working good going to switch to PAX driver soon and try that out now. Thanks for the help.

Robert McClelland likes this.
  8. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

alot people don't know about the fast boot issue because if your on ssd you don't need fast boot turn on lol