What Do You Think Of This Build?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BabylenTatarsky, Jun 6, 2017.

1. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

My brother is thinking of replacing his computer with a completely new build. He already has a keyboard, mouse, monitor and OS so it's just the rig. He's got this parts list but is still weighing it up:

- AMD R5 1400
    - Gigabyte AB350-Gaming3
    - 8GB of DDR4 RAM >3000MHz
    - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
    - Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD
    - AMD RX 580 8GB
    - Seasonic M12-II EVO 520W
    - Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO
    - NZXT S340

Can you see anything that stands out? Or recommend any similarly priced adjustments/improvements?

The most demanding thing he'll use it for is to play Battlegrounds, ideally on the top settings with great FPS.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Personally i'd drop to the RX 570 and use the saved cash to invest in a slightly more powerful CPU, if they could squeeze the straight R5 1600 in there... it would be totally top stuff... I'd also suggest dropping the Hyper 212 evo in favor of the standard stock heatsink since it's actually VERY equivalent (which with the rx 570 and no 212 perhaps may cover the additional costs of getting to a 1600).

4 core 8 threads is nice on the r5 1400.... no doubt it's a stand up solution... but if they wish to use it for any length of time, the current best bang for the buck is in the r5 1600 6 core 12 thread cpus which perform about the best one could hope for and should maintain itself significantly longer specially in regards to games which are now pushing the 4 core 8 thread 7700k to it's limits.

BabylenTatarsky likes this.
  3. AkselVerg

AkselVerg New Member

It looks great, I'm saving up to buy an already complete PC , now I still can not choose between two options. Prices are certainly high, but it's worth it. I choose between ADMI Ultra RX480 & i5 6500 and Cyberpower Gaming Blaster 1050 + fx4300. Both are very good, especially like the ADMI card SSD instead of HDD ( Compared there herehttps://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/best-gaming-pcs). Soon it will be necessary to choose:oops: In fact, an interesting question - it's better to collect the PC itself, or all-so buy readyo_O. In the first case, the assembly of all components will take a lot of time and effort, but it will be much cheaper than buying a finished PC. But in the second case - you save time and get everything at once. But for an additional fee. In addition, I'm not sure that I'll manage and I can collect the computer manually, since I have two hands and both are left :D Would like any advice.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Agreed. With those changes it'd be a very solid machine.

5. BabylenTatarsky

Thanks for this suggestion. I relayed it to my brother and he is going to follow your advice on the cooler and processor front and go for the stock heatsink and the R5 1600 but is sticking with the RX 580. He's also talking about going for 16GB of RAM now. Must have had a windfall. :confused:

EDIT: he sent me his picklist: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/mike83/saved/#view=nZg6hM A few alterations (I told him to get Patriot RAM) but similar enough. He's keeping his existing SSD and HDD.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  6. Judas

Is there much of a price difference in the 2133mhz ram vs something say like 2666 or 3200mhz of the same quantity.

If there is one things Ryzen cpus love.. it's faster memory speeds and with the recent UEFI updates.... hitting well into the 3000 mhz range has been getting far easier.

Personally at the VERY least i'd get 2666mhz memory... i can't see it costing that much more.

Otherwise the rest should be "sufficient"... 16GB of ram today is pretty decent although i still find that most pc's with 8gb are still doing just fine. As for brand... while i'm partial to patriot... i tend to get kingston or corsair as alternatives all the time, g.skill too if available (but not often here).

Do a clean install on the SSD without the standard HDD connected and MAKE SURE WITHOUT THE INTERNET CONNECTED... Once you have the latest referrence drivers installed for the system, then connect to the internet and complete windows updates, after which THEN connect the HDD... i would recommend setting the pagefile AWAY from the ssd and set it to be automatically managed on the HDD (turn it off on the ssd... turn it on the HDD)... this tends to have nice improvements and avoids wear on the SSD... There are a handful of games, mostly just skyrim/falltout for example that REQUIRES a pagefile to exist even with all the boatloads of ram still available. Eventually those games just fill up the ram and crash because they are just poorly programmed with nill garbage collection/unload (basically memory leak). Most everything else tends to work beautifully without a page file.

7. BabylenTatarsky

Again, much appreciated. Thank you. He just text me to say "Tell your hardware heaven buddy I switched to Corsair DDR4 3000Mhz ram and thank them "

I assume it's all on order. Thanks again.

8. Judas

really hope that thing performs insanely well...

my 3930k isn't likely going to be able to match it that's for sure.

Calliers likes this.
  9. BabylenTatarsky

There's a nationwide (worldwide?) shortage of RX 580's because people use them to mine ethereum so rather than wait til August he's ordered a 6GB 1060 GPU and it's coming tomorrow.

10. Judas

I've access to quite a few of the 480/470/570/580's... plus i've some rx 460/560's and a 550 on hand.... worldwide doesn't appear to be entirely true, but it definitely seems to be a win in AMDs wallets, specially so close to vega's launch.