What should benchmarking be and how should it be done?

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by HsuGotaQ, Jun 25, 2002.

1. HsuGotaQ

HsuGotaQ Hydrogenated Dumbass

Lets get this benchmarking world a bit more legit. We know that certain companies that produce benchmarks ( *** cough *** Mad *** cough *** Onion *** ) are bed buddies with very well place compagnies ( *** cough *** dictators *** ). Then again, I might be wrong.

This is why it would interesting to enumerate every benchmarking application or game that should be used as benchmark defaults (for now anyway). Not only software, but configurations should be considered part of the list (resolutions, registry settings, installation methods, OS settings, etc).

What I'd like to have here is :
    1) Which benchmark apps and games should be tested?
    2) Why choose these software titles instead of others?
    3) Describe the softwares weaknesses and strengths.
    4) In which context should the software be tested?

And finally :
    1) Which software should be thrown into the garbage can (just to get that frustration out)?

From what we get here, I'll try and make a much more detailed report on differences in between drivers and also help make JUSTIFIED reasons why CERTAIN ( *** cough *** THG *** ) hardware reviews make incorrect, incomplete or false claims based on botched testing (the lazymans way).

2. peroni

peroni New Member

This is why it would interesting to enumerate every benchmarking application or game that should be used as benchmark defaults (for now anyway). Not only software, but configurations should be considered part of the list (resolutions, registry settings, installation methods, OS settings, etc).

Comanche 4, Unreal 2003, Flight simulator 2002, SS2

Because in all the programs mentioned above ATI is lagging behind other manufacter products more than it should be

QUAKE 3