What smartphone or Tablet do you use?

Discussion in 'Smartphone & Tablets Discussion / Support' started by Teme, May 25, 2011.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

It may depend on what iPhone you currently use, I like the look of the X but there is no way at this time I will swap my iPhone 7 ( I don't see a upgrade to the 8) is on the cards in the near future. The X is not selling to well (despite what apples says) the price is a killing point for it..

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I forgot to say, I got myself a Lenovo Tab 4 8 when I was in Prague for the 1st of May. :) It's about 33% more expensive here than there, so I couldn't resist buying myself an early birthday present.

[​IMG]

It's an entry level tablet: 8", 1280x800 screen, 4xA53@1.4GHz CPU, 2GB RAM and 16GB internal memory, running Android 7.1. It has a microSD card, a micro USB port, a 3.5mm jack which can even be used as an input, but no SIM slot. It also has a rear and a front camera, which work, but I don't think that I've taken a single photo with them. Here's a short review of my impressions so far:

Performance

The thing works quite well, actually. It's snappy, despite only having a SnapDragon 425, which fails to impress the latest AnTuTu to say the least (returning just over 44000 points), even the games that I've tried ran completely fine, undoubtedly helped by the screen resolution. The ROM it shipped with would occasionally misbehave and need to be restarted to go back to normal, but an update has fixed it all, as far as I can see. Out of the other things I've tried, USB OTG works well, GPS works well, WiFi works well, in short, everything seems to be working and performing as it should.

Screen

The screen has a nice IPS panel with good viewing angles and only somewhat cooler colours than I'm used to. The resolution is generally not a problem. You notice some aliasing in games, but other than that, it's generally fine, especially for things with nice gradients, such as photos and video. The touch sensitivity is good and it can register up to ten fingers.

Sound

The built in speaker is fine, I have no complaints about the sound output via the headphone jack and the tablet plays nicely with my Bluetooth speaker. The specs say that the headphone jack can also be used to connect a microphone, but I haven't tested that.

Battery

It goes on forever, both ways. The battery drain is no more than 3-4% a day when idling and it can take a fair amount of use as well. I haven't tested it directly, but extrapolating from the numbers I've seen, 10h od use seems quite realistic. Sadly, the nearly 5000mAh battery is almost as slow to recharge, being capable of receiving only 1A.

Build quality

Fine. No metal to be seen on the outside, but it neither creeks nor bends and the front glass seems reassuring.

In short, I'm really happy with the purchase. It's not a high end device, of course, but nothing on it was done sloppily, so it is a really functional and surprisingly well performing device.

Calliers and Dyre Straits like this.
  3. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

You know I've always wondered what people need tablets for. I mean, unless you're using them for ebook reading, what else is there? I use my laptop for surfing and stuff around the house, I don't think I need a tablet for this.

4. IvanV

Not that much, actually, which is why I've only charged it three times since the purchase. :D

I'll sometimes play a TV show on it while washing the dishes; I also watched a show on it in bed, before going to sleep, once or twice; I used it to show holiday photos to family and friends, as the screen is a lot bigger than the one on my cell phone, after all; for the same reason, I occasionally used it for browsing while on the go, especially if there were two of us watching the screen. I haven't played much on it, but it could be used for that too.

In short, it can be used for more or less everything that a smartphone does, but with the added benefit of a bigger screen. So, it's hardly a "must have", but certainly a "nice to have".

5. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

everything
    I use my iPad for absolutely everything. honestly can’t imagine life without it these days :)

6. Calliers

Between my phone and my PC I'm good. I can't imagine what I'd use a tablet for, other than for reading. And even then I'd rather just buy a device more intended for reading like a Kindle that would be cheaper still. Although I do use my phone for reading ebooks which is probably bad for my eyesight but hey, at least I can still see.

7. Calliers

I got the iPhone X recently and it is my first iPhone ever. I have to say, I am quite impressed. Whereas android is just a device, the iPhone is more like an experience. I love my iPhone X. :)

8. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

I love the look of the iPhone X for the buttonless screen, but the price in the UK were way too expensive (Even if it were paid for via a contract) but Samsung has been one step in front of apple for quite some time..

That is one of the reasons I ditched the iPhone which I had for years. It has taken a good couple of weeks to get used to android's settings, however I do find that I have a much better camera ( and much easier way of transferring photos over to my pc ) to back them up..

Still everyone to there own..

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

So after a few days using the iPhone X I have to say it is a wonderful phone OS wise but when it comes to doing things between your phone and your PC, it is very limited (I'm guessing unless you own a Mac), so I returned it and got this instead:-

Samsung Galaxy S9+:

[​IMG]

10. IvanV

That was quick! :D

Anyway, the S9+ is a beast, enjoy it! :)

Calliers likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

After several years of using Samsung phones, I went today and got a new LG Q7+. It's very similar to the Galaxy S7 I was using but without any buttons on the viewing surface. It's so similar, in fact, that the protective case I was using actually can work...with a few limitations...on this one until I get a proper one for it.

The S7 was 2 1/2 years old and was getting to the point of getting very, very hot during any extended use and the battery was draining faster and faster, too.

The LG was about half the cost of the S9 I had been considering. And, you can see the specs here...

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-38114

Although I got it from MetroPCS, the phone works on the T-Mobile network. I get complete unlimited service at a flat rate of $60 USD per month that includes all fees and taxes, too. And, should it start getting hot within a year, I get a full replacement at no charge.

The 64 GB of internal memory is quite sufficient and I also added my 32 GB SD card to the phone. :)

LG Q7+.JPG

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    IvanV and Calliers like this.
  12. Calliers

Nice, congrats. It's interesting to see a new phone that doesn't have a notch these days.

13. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

About time for me to renew my subscription. I'm leaning towars sticking with Sony and get a XZ3, because I can get one in green! :D

Calliers likes this.
  14. Dyre Straits

So far, I'm very pleased with the new phone. As it's so very similar to my former Galaxy S7, the learning curve is very short. AND, of course, it's Android.

Calliers likes this.
  15. Dyre Straits

The more I use this LG Q7+ the more I'm liking it. I have yet to see the battery go below 65%....and that was after a very long Pokemon GO! session. ;)

Calliers likes this.
  16. Calliers

Battery life is always a good thing in a phone when it's long but you really should let it drain completely or near completely every other day or week.

17. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

NO NO NO NO. FFS, stop saying that. Modern batteries should NOT be allowed to drain completely. This was true for the early days but it isn't now. Best way to treat a modern phone battery is to charge it a little here and a little there. If it never goes below 65% it's perfect.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  18. Dyre Straits

What he said! ^^^

19. Calliers

Why you guys dissin' me? :(

20. Priya Vyas

Priya Vyas Blogger

I have OnePlus 3T

Calliers likes this.