What the heck is going on?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Alistair, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Alistair

Alistair Spoos

OK just this morning my computer began playing a piano note every 5 minutes or so. I cannot find any spyware detected that may be the cause, Norton fails to find a virus of any sort, and all of the items in my Task Manager appear to be normal. Does anyone have any idea what this sound is and how I can eliminate it (besides the easy mute the computer method)?

2. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

Hit Alt + Ctrl + Del and go to the task manager and see if you have any funny applications or process's running...if you are unsure about an appilcation or a process type it in google and it will most likly tell you what it is.

3. Vidmaster23

Vidmaster23 New Member

I get that noice sometimes too, and it tends to happen when I turn my printer on or when I connect a USB device.

4. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

You running the latest AIM version? They now have sound enabled adds :(

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

it also can be the hdd monitor telling him his drive is over full and a dozen other things.....

I'd say look for spyware, A quick way to see what's load is goto run an type msconfig....and then check the start menu/start up folder... I useally open the registry under the users and local machine sections under software,mircrosft,windows,current version, run

and see what loading

6. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

my vote is for the AIM thing.....i hated those(switched to gaim)

7. SaberZ

SaberZ -Android Fanatic-

If he is using AIM, i'm 100% sure it would be that(if he has latest version, or a version from up to 4 months ago). Those new voice/sound enabled ads suck big time.