what works best as a prefilter on my case intake?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

with in one days use, the filters on this new case already have a large buildup of dust and fur.

im thinking id like to put a foam insert of some sort in the opening circled below, just something to catch the bulk of the crap before it gets to the case filters. problem is, i have no idea what im looking for. ive got some left over foam for couch cushions i can cut up, but i think those are going to be too restrictive.

[​IMG]

2. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

you would best off to go to a hardware store and look for some foam filter material or something. Or get an air purifier for your house because it can't be good for you to be breathing all that dust either

3. PruritusAni

PruritusAni Active Member

That may indeed be too restrictive/dense. I've used both stocking and AC filter for makeshift filtration purposes with good results. The AC filter you can find at your favorite hardware store but I'm not sure it's going to be as thick as that whole area you circled. As it's about 1/4 of an inch thick maybe you could make a little curved frame for it that you could slide in and out of that space for cleaning purposes.

EDIT: This is what I mean by AC filter.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Fibreglass or PVC mesh like the kind used for screens on doors and windows. Regular should do, and it's cheap, but you could also grab the micro mesh (might be listed as helping to repel small insects) as it would help with even finer/smaller particles, although it's a bit more expensive. Average cost is something like $8-20 per 36-40" x 84-100" roll (depends on the material used, and the mesh size).

5. Dark Lord

that ac filter looks exactly like what i had in mind. thanks.

6. PruritusAni

PruritusAni Active Member

Excellent! Let me know how it works out for you in terms of implementation.

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I tend to use light fabrics with low power fans since actual filters are often too restrictive for them. Using high power fans can also be part of the dust problem because more air is going to be forced into the case, bringing larger particles with it. Unless you have really hot parts and need lots of airflow of course.

8. Dark Lord

ive got 3 120mm front intake fans on this new case, all running at the lowest setting. im not sure what the cfm is, but even on low, they still suck in a ton of air. i think its cooling pretty well on low too at 21c/21c cpu/gpu. i couldnt crack 45cpu 50gpu last night.

9. mcdragon2

mcdragon2 New Member

that mareial is exactly what I was thinking of and is what I recently used on my case and am not currently sure as to how much it is filtering but I don't have a tighter filter than that