What's better for CUDA/OpenCL? nV 800GT or ATi 5770?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dj_stick, Jun 20, 2011.

1. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

Looking to upgrade my Mac Pro's GPU, currently have the 8800GT, wondering if it's worth moving to the ATi 5770 for CUDA performance (gaming is not too important)

Which works better for CUDA/OpenCL stuff?

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

CUDA currently is a technology exclusive to Nvidia, anything that uses CUDA is only supported on an Nvidia card.

alternative technologies available to ATi are things like DXVA and Avivo for GPU video processing.

OpenCL is a free equivalent of CUDA and can be run on ATi cards and Nvidia cards freely without issue normally.

between the two cards, the 5770 should offer a good bit more compute performance in OpenCL applications but it definitely would be locked away from using any CUDA exclusive apps.

if you will only be using OpenCL stuff, the 5770 is a good way to go, but if CUDA will also be used, keep the 8800GT or get a newer nvidia card.

3. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ahh I was a little confused between the two - looking for better processing performance in Apple's Aperture, which uses OS X's OpenCL architecture
    and being on a Mac, unfortunately I'm stuck with a very small amount of officially supported GPUs (I know the OSX86 project has drivers for dozens of others, but this is a "mission-critical" system so I need to keep it as stable as possible)

thanks for your help

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

with that, it sounds like any recent GPU supported by Apple will be a good upgrade for you, the 5770 IS indeed faster.

hope i managed to help you out a bit!

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I'm not sure if this is useful to know, but Nvidia cards using CUDA are often a fair bit faster than their ATI counterparts using OpenCL. The performance gap between the 8800 and the 5770 might not be as large as you think, if you can use CUDA on the Nvidia card (in Photoshop, incidentally, you can only use CUDA atm).

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

interesting, wasn't aware of that... will have to check out some becnhmarks