What's wrong with my pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Diegola, Mar 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Diegola

Diegola New Member

Here are my pc specs:

Power Unity (I don't know how it's called) has 500w

Motherboard: Asus H110M-C/BR

ProcessorIntel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Speed3.6 GHz
    Number of Cores4

16 GB of ram

Video CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    Driver Version26.21.14.3200

Operating SystemWindows 10
    Version10.0.18362

Drives
    Drive D:
    Size736 GB
    Free Memory713 GB
    Drive C:
    Size195 GB
    Free Memory7.5 GB

Basically I can't run games that I ''think'' it should run great, or atleast RUN.
    Some examples are ARK that I get 60-70 fps with really reduced graffics.
    Fortnite that I get 120 fps but with LOTS of fps drops.
    And the game i've been playing, Watch Dogs that even on low I get a lot of minimal fps drops when walking, and while driving MASSIVE drops.

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

As time goes on, PCs age, when your rig is new, you can play most games at 1080p on high settings, depending on your specs. It looks like you might have to upgrade. Do some benches and see what is the bottle neck, consider a new PC, or at least upgrading the video card. A RTX 2060 should be good, then later when you have more cash you can upgrade the rest of the machine.

3. Diegola

Diegola New Member

Yeah, i'll eventually do upgrades, but I see people doing videos with worse specs, and they get higher fps with higher quality graffics (???)

4. Calliers

You might wanna get an extra stick of 8GB RAM looking at your specs, I roll with 16GB and that seems to be the new standard for today's games. Just looking at your specs, it's a guess. Also always make sure to leave 20% free on your C: drive (the drive with Windows on it) at all times. This could be your problem.

5. Diegola

Diegola New Member

Thanks for the replys dude, i'll try to figure this out :)

6. Calliers

You're most welcome!

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

For my part, I won't install a video card with less than 8 GB VRAM. The 3GB on your 1080 is most certainly a limitation for the games you're playing, IMHO.

8. Calliers

Thought he said he had a 1060?

9. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I just woke up so take that into consideration.
    1) The GPU drivers are a bit old.
    2) The cpu is a 4 core 4 threads CPU. If the games are CPU heavy, they might require 4 cores but also 8 threads as it is usually the norm.
    3) Your Windows 10 version is old from almost a year ago. Update your OS.
    4) If the games you run are not legit copies, there are other issues that might be at fault.

10. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Hitching in Fortnite could be from the Internet connection, no? And FPS drops while in Watch Dogs could be due to game loading resources off a full and fragmented hard drive, but otherwise you should be getting a decent framerate on higher settings. Is that correct?

Also, is the resolution we're talking about 1920x1080?

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Nvidia's 3gb cards perform quite disapointingly... even the 970 "3.5"gb card is not fair at all well. coincidentally it's amazing how well the 290/390 and x variants are running still.

Fortnite isn't affected by internet connection, frame rates don't dip.... you'll just experience were rubber banding effects.

4 core 4 thread cpus are struggling in a hell of a lot of games.... 8gb is bare minimum as well as even on a fresh start of windows you can quickly see 40% of the memory be consumed without having accessed much of anything. But it looks like you've 16gb so no worries there.
    4gb of vram is certainly a target these days with 6+ being recommended. However i will say, the RX 560 4gb my sister has performs quite well in fortnite @ 1080p well above 60fps most of the time... husk spawns always trash frame rates regardless of graphics card.

All i could recommend is a move to 1909 at least (windows version).... and make sure your drivers are up to date, make sure you don't have bloatware running in the background. The machine is essentially entry level these days.

12. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

My GTX 970 has no issues that I can tell...

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you can keep the settings from tanking the vram... sure it'll continue to march on... but there is an alarming number of people pushing settings up and then reporting problems... and even with some of the lower settings some games are quickly pushing beyond it's vram limitation.

14. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

My 970 ran just about everything fine - exceptions like Rise of the Tomb Raider which would allocate over 6GB VRAM on Very High textures. 3GB is low by modern standards so OP I would look at reducing texture settings in your games to see if that has any effect. Also monitoring with something like Open Hardware Monitor or even just running Windows Task Manager (Performance Tab) in the background whilst gaming can give you a handle on how much resources are being used by the system and your GPU.

If you don't own an SSD drive I would suggest that as a primary upgrade because your system looks decent to me for most games and stuff like Fortnight should not be an issue for you. I would also ask when was the last time you did a clean install of your system? Systems can start to bog down over time especially if you're the type that installs the various crapwares that are available to the PC user. A clean install can sort out issues and whilst your at that update the drivers for your GPU.