Which NVMe SSD to get

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Calliers, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Ok, I know I know, I knew what I was getting into and I still got it, this SSD is slow as molasses, it arrived on Friday and I didn't know it was in the mailbox, I wish I knew, could have tested it with Judas, it is trash!

I'm sending it back for store credit, I'll take a $20 hit but that's fine, and I'll get a better NVMe in the future. I'm going to spend a month researching, so far this one looks like the winner, it's gotten good reviews but I'm going to look around some more just in case.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Toshiba OCZ RD400:

[​IMG]

It's a toss up between the Toshiba and this one AData XPG SX8200 Pro so far:

[​IMG]

This one also looks interesting, but considering it is currently going for the same amount as the Toshiba OCZ RD400 which I think performs better I will probably want to stick with the Toshiba, it is the HP EX920 (it also has a power on LED which some people don't like but for me that makes the HP more desirable):

[​IMG]

Edit: Got a new one to add, and this one takes the cake so far, can't believe I forgot about it, the Western Digital Black WDS100T2X0C, it's not too expensive and it is probably one of the few that can even -touch- a Samsung (although the Toshiba above is sexy too, and cheaper):

[​IMG]

Then there's always just the argument of getting a standard SATA Western Digital Blue 2TB m.2 that will basically still be super fast when compared to hard drives, but will give me a lot more space for a great price:

[​IMG]

Then there's the cream of the crop, at ~$800, the Samsung 970 Evo 2TB:

[​IMG]

Edit: alternatively I might put the credit toward something else or just wait until 2TB m.2 prices come down. I wonder how long I can keep it for though, will have to find out.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I say it'd be a choice between either WD or Samsung NVMe drives.

Calliers likes this.
  3. Calliers

The WD Black SN750 with heatsink is $500, about $650 CAD but I can't find it in stock anywhere, I've gone directly to the Western Digital site and they say to reserve it until it comes back in stock. I think that is the one I'll go for.

[​IMG]

Edit: looks like I'll have to wait till Spring for the 2TB. Well here we go, time to be patient. :) I'm going to save like a mad man too so I can maybe swing another RTX 2080 while I'm at it (maybe :D ).

Edit 2: crap, the ones with the heatsink are more expensive. :( I'll just get one without, gaming won't make it too hot and I am not a video professional or anything like that.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  4. Calliers

After testing the Intel drive for my gaming uses a little more (I have Deus Ex: Human Revolution on it) and looking around the net a little more too, I've decided I'm just going to keep this drive. I've kind of been "spoiled" by my Samsung. It may not be the fastest but it is still plenty fast when loading in games and considering that's all I'll use it for me and the drive have come to an agreement.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Out of curiosity, how slow can an Intel PCI-E 3.0 x4 SSD be?

6. Calliers

Check out this review here. It's not exactly slow but compared to other NVMes it's not that fast either.

Also this Intel SSD is rated for just 200 TBW, which is pretty dismal.