Which to get???

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by IamLakota, Nov 8, 2005.

1. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Time has finally come to upgrade my system again,and I'm thinking to replace my old 9800pro card in my other system and maybe replace my 6800gt,but which should I get the X800XL or the X850XL,seems both are priced at 299.99
    at my local circit city,and both are AGP cards,will I notice any major diffrences over either of my current cards?? Any help from my friends here at DH would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,..IamLakota

2. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

AFAIK there is no such thing as an X850XL....

If you have a 6800GT there is no need to replace it with an X800XL.

But I would say the X800XL makes a very nice replacement for the 9800 Pro....and at that price you can hardly go wrong.

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

An X800XL would be a side grade, to ever phrase it so correctly. Now one of the X850's wouldn't be bad. However, remember you're actually stepping back in technology in a way if you go /w the X800 series. No shader 3 support, etc. To honest to take a leap you'll have to go PCI-E which means.

1.Processor
    2.Motherboard
    3.Ram
    4.Video card

4. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

I agree with Necrosis. I recommend either save up for a system upgrade if you can.

5. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Yeah well he may as well wait until AMD releases its new socket and see how things go then, and in the mean time get a nice fixer upper upgrade..

6. kyrotech

kyrotech New Member

well the X800XL is a good upgrade from a 9800PRO, enables you to play at higher res with AA and AF. About that missing SM3.0 and HDR... well :sleep:

7. IamLakota

IamLakota New Member

Thank you all for all the input I appreciate it,a system upgrade would be wonderful,but there are other thing's that have to come first,and building a complete new computer is kinda out of the question for at least six months or so.But when I do get around to it I think I will probly go intel dual core with HT.I havent used an AMD porc since my old XP1800 from years ago.Seems kinda funny remembering all the builds I did over the past 10 years,but after makeing the circle back to intel I have to admit I like the stability of an intel based system,over some of the hassles of getting things to work in harmony with an AMD system.As for now I am gonna sit and wait and see what deals are out there.

8. H3X4D3C1M4L

H3X4D3C1M4L New Member

Umm...there are no hassles with AMD systems these days, and even in the XP1800 days there weren't that many that I knew of....

AMD is looking better and better these days, I mean they do beat the crap out of Intel on performance