Wii claims first victim - a 60-inch TV

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Sandok, Nov 20, 2006.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I think thats a burning question quite a few people are asking, however I think nintendo normally have really good build quality. certainly through history that would be the case wouldnt it ?

2. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure, but you would think that there is a disclaimer in the manual about Nintendo not being responsible for mis-use or damage resulting from the use of the product.

Also, I know they already said that you don't have to make such exaggerated movements as you see in the promotional videos. I can't see how you would throw something so hard into the TV.

The strap actually looks like it was cut in the photo. Anyway, I would make the friend pay for the TV.

3. shteve

shteve New Member

Funnily enough I thought something similar. The cord looks like the kind of braided string you get in a coat drawstring, and it doesn't look frayed - the break is far too clean.

4. ZzzombieBunny

ZzzombieBunny Cake or Death?

kids are gonna go all star wars when they get their hands on that thing., someone is going to the hospital any day now...

This isnt the first incident by far, people go crazy wiith those remotes. I know im going to once I get my wii. :p Im gonna have to setup a gaming safety zone... "beware the gamer"

5. Randomletters

Randomletters ))((

Wii's Second victim can be my back :) 5 hours of wii sports yesterday and my lower back sides and biceps are aching. Im thinking about starting a diet/wii exercise plan... Semi healthy eating and 1/hr a day on wii sports /me goes and gets a starting weight measurement and turns on wii

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

no shit random..

imo, the Wii is the first console to seriously be a fun as hell, excersize ploy.

Lets market the sucker..... and get sued ;)

7. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Maybe they should have some wireless sensors for fighting games that go around the ankles and wrists.

8. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Not all fairies are nice.

Funny but... if you could put it together FAST - like before christmas - and maybe get some quasi well known figure to be the spokesperson AND you could do it without getting sued for something by Nin then I bet you could make nice little sum on such an idea.

Get some hottie in tights playing Wii Sports and making big exagerated movements to work out specific muscle groups ect ect. Maybe five minutes pre & post stretching, with the hottie doing some "Oh my god I wish my GF could bend like that" moves, and it would be that much more cash. :w00t:

9. Sandok

Sandok New Member

While I may agree with what some of Andrew said, you gotta be kidding me shteve by saying that somebody INTENTIONALLY broke their 60" TV and then cut the strap to blame it on the Wii...

I mean, people can be lame but that'd be really lame! :lol:

10. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Perhaps he wanted to buy a HD TV and that one is not?...

You know, now that you mention it, perhaps that is a good reason to buy a Wii after all. To lose weight.

11. Drakon

Drakon New Member

Why is that so hard to believe? People will do anything to make a quick buck, even if it means slitting their brother's throat. It's possible that the strap was really defective or the parties involved intentionally did it. I mean come on, here's a chance to get a brand new tv (most likely a better model), possibly a brand new wii system, cash and 15 min of fame. Sounds like the oppurtunity of a lifetime to me...

12. Sandok

Sandok New Member

I guess either living in a country where you can't sue anyone for whatever you want or simply not daring the risk of actually breaking my TV in the hopes that it'll be replaced for free fail to let me see this incident in the same light as yours...

But since you live in the US, the wii accident ( :lol: ) happened in the US from what I can gather, I guess your theory must be better than mine :p

13. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

It's stupid.. but i wouldn't put it pass a possible senario that:

He wasn't even using the strap, and let the controll fly accidently, then cut the strap to make his case seem way more plausible.

or similare senarios...

not calling him a liar... but really, i can't see ANYONE doing this without getting out of hand and basically causing distruction yourself.

14. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Even if it was Nintendo's fault - which appears doubtful - they'd just have to replace the screen. It should be available as a replacement part...

15. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Just saw on the morning national news that this is happing all over the place. It showed one controller actually impaled into the plastic casing of the TV.. (on the front left vertical piece) the controller was still stuck in there.

Sounds like they should have made the straps a lot stronger if the design of the product makes you fling it around to play the game..

16. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

Or maybe put some grip on the damn thing

17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yeah this whole thing seems incredibly stupid to me, I thought the strap was meant to just help you keep the pad near, not to use it as a slingshot. Obviously nintendo didn't cater for the 10% of idiots who buy these things. I have seen videos of people playing games and they are going mental, jumping up and down and flailing their arms around like they are taking a fit, i mean WTF.

18. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Those people are so deep in to the games they play that they'll do just anything . they put their heart and soul on the game. They are the "true" gamers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And yes they need medication...

BWX likes this.
  19. BWX

BWX get out and ride

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RkdihGX7iWM

look at that moron..

Still though, they should have made it less slippery and easier to hold on to. That guy was swinging way to fast though.. idiot.

I think the problem is that the extremely weak strap is just giving people a false sense of security.. They think it will hold and save the thing from flying, and it doesn't.

Here's that pic I saw this morning on TV news.
    [​IMG]

20. Sandok

Sandok New Member

Holy crap that controller is resistant... :rofl: And god how lame do you have to be to bust your TV like that? Honestly, a flick of the wrist is enough!