Win 10 getting a lot of accounts messed with

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So the last 2 weeks or so I have had emails advising me of

3 attempts to login to my ebay account advised to change Password did that

then the same with my Amazon account and I started to get loads of the OTP to my phone 20 or 30 at a time someone is really hammering my account

Today its my Facebook account ... Three times today from different locations someone trying to access my account .. had emails advising change password

changed passwords (through secure site not from email links) on all then had same happen again

Ran Superantispyware and Malwarebyes bot came back clean

this just a run of bad luck or something else ? ...any ideas

Previous to this last 2 weeks nothing .... not once in years

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

A couple of days ago I got a notice from gmail that someone tried to login to my account from the UK. I was asked if it was me. I replied, NO.

3. Mr Cairo

Yeah I have been doing that but this seems like a lot of sudden attempts at me and my accounts after a long time with no issues ... |Im starting to wonder if its personal :)

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That's what I was thinking.

5. Mr Cairo

And so it continues today its my Netfix account ... all seems to be tying to my 1 main email address so time to switch anything with CC details to one of my alternates

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

can you verify that those emails are from whom they say they are... on a daily i get about 6 or 7 emails from facebook/gmail/paypal/amazon/ you name it ..and every single one of them is a scam..... either A: that someone has logged into my account (most of the recent ones) or B: that a transaction has occured and i needed to verify if it was me.... or C: that the was a payment failure.

7. Mr Cairo

Had an email from Facebook saying someone had tried to login to my account and they had locked it .. went to Facebook and I am locked out and had to change my password ... same again the next day and once agai a passwod change

Got about 6 phone verifications from Amazon (Im on the OTP so every login gets a passcode verification sent to my phone) so someone is really trying to login there

Got locked out of my ebay account from too many login attempts

have now changed main email on all of them lets see where we go from here

Just think its my turn :) and odd that this is all happening at once

8. Judas

come to think of it... about a year ago... the bank forced a customer to bring in their computer to get looked over, and after scouring, i couldn't find a single thing wrong... their accounts were being locked up.... shit being accessed... and it certainly wasn't coming from their computer....

It was their iphone that was compromised....

9. Mr Cairo

Dont access any of these from my phone or other locations just my pc

Topday my ebay account had had its password reset twice forcing me again to change my password and email .... I have set up 2 step verification

what I dont get is this , how are they able to reset my password but not get into my account ... If i send a password reset request but dont change it I can continue to login as normal

but for some reason they ask for password reset I get an email and then I am locked out

10. Mr Cairo

Ok so an update

keep checking ebay amazon and Paypal and even though there is a lot of messing with logins nothing has been purchased ... also Paypal shows no unusual activity

However I logged into Netflix today and realised that I had 4 profiles that I do not know ... my own was still there (logo changed) and the account for my son and mum in law had gone and new accounts for Poppy, Juo and frinz were on there ...

I deleted them all signed out reset my meail and passsword but im staring to think that somehow my details have been compromised

11. IvanV

That was after you changed the email used for login?! If it's Netflix they're after, opening them an account with some basic subscription might be the easiest way out. Unless you involve the cops.

12. Mr Cairo

Only noticed today so I deleted them then changed my email and contacted Netflix they have signed out 4 additional accounts that I was unaware of, User and password changed by me after that

Something has definitely leaked out for me though just dont know how

13. Mr Cairo

Well its been a goddamn nightmare last couple of weeks ... every account under the sun that i used the [email protected] email for has been accsessed, Today it was my EA account and that tied into my PSN account ... this is my inbox for stuff at the moment

Image1.jpg

Just attempt after attempt, account after accountmy PSN told me my password had been updated, went to sign in and it had .. but How did they get the email confirmation ?

I have been updating passwords and signing all my accounts over to a new email address but its a gutter I have had the Cairo address for nearly 20 years but it looks like I may have to close that email address down ...

Still no idea who or how though

So all told thats Facebook, Ebay, Amazon, netflix, PSN, EA, Ubisoft, Paypal, Steam and Microsoft ...

Odd thing is nothing seems to have been done to any of them its just appears to be the fun of changing the passwords

14. IvanV

If it weren't for the earlier unsuccessful attempts, I'd suspect a keylogger. Although that doesn't explain the 2 factor authentication.

15. Mr Cairo

Thought the same but cannot find anything after every spyware check I can think of ...also did a windows refresh about a week ago and this is still going on

16. Judas

Honestly... it doesn't sound at all like it's your machine and never was... it's something else

Mr Cairo likes this.
  17. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Punch your email into there (and any email you want to check), and it'll tell you if it's ever been posted online as part of site dump. I also recommending signing up for notifications so that you get warned of future dumps that have your email address.

BTW, for Windows 10, are you doing a local (offline) log in, or are you doing an online log in (via an email address)? The latest update for Windows 10 hides the option to do an offline account (ie. local account), but you can still switch it to that, but only AFTER logging in with an email address the first time after a fresh install.

18. Mr Cairo

Yeah my thought is sometime in the last few months I have used my email somewhere i should not have and somehow that has led to .....

An 80's movie montage

Supercomputers in a bunker trawling the web to find all instances of that email

Screen cuts to

Password after password attempt fails until account is accessed ... shadowy figures nodding over cans of red bull and doughnuts

Cut to

Cairo attempting to login and fist bumping table in frustration as access is denied

Cuts to

Shadowy figures laughing at CHaOS that ensues

Cutting to

Cairo triuphantly renaming all accounts and regaining access wiping hand across brow to remove sweat and high fiving someone nearby

final scene

Cuts to screen of home PC "Do YOU Want TO PLay A Game ... how about chess?

"No Lets Play Thermonuclear WAR"

World ends ....... annnnnnnnd SCENE

have decided to close the cairo account ... I will spend next week or so tracking down every instance thats used it and switch it over ... every account that has bee switched to a new email is OK so I know its not my PC :(

IvanV likes this.
  19. Mr Cairo

Oh no — pwned!
    Pwned on 13 breached sites and found no pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches

Always offline but also use a different account for my Windows machine ... Might have to switch everything to my Gmail account

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  20. IvanV

Liked for the script, not for closing the cairo account. That part sucks.

Mr Cairo likes this.