Win64 unable to recognise Geforce 8800GTX drivers

Discussion in 'Driver Cleaner.NET Support' started by Zobbo, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Zobbo

Zobbo New Member

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX

Hey, I accidentally installed two versions of the same latest drivers for my Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX card without restarting and now windows is unable to recognise my graphics card. I bought the 'drivercleaner' program and followed the instruction in the help section however to no avail.
    The process I went through was to first uninstall the nvidia display drivers as well as other related nvidia drivers and then rebooted my machine. After rebooting my machine there was still an exclamation mark in the Device Manager as an unknown device so I uninstalled that too. I then opened the driver cleaner program and set all the nvidia cleaning filters, including nvidia, nvidia control panel, nvidia HDMI Audio, nvidia Physx, nvidia Stereo and Nvidia WDM. After it finished scanning I then clicked clean for it to clean up all the files. I then rebooted my machine and when windows started up again it tried to locate the display drivers for the card but it said it failed because it was unable to recognise the device. Throughout this whole process my internet connection was off. I then went to nvidia website and downloaded the latest drivers for my card and then rebooted machine again however it still did not want to recognise the card or the drivers. I have tried this process 3 times already and am back to square one. I would appreciate it if an admin could tell me if what I am doing is correct or not and is there anything else I can do to get this working properly?

Thanks.

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

Hi,

this sounds more like something got corrupted in windows when you installed the driver 2 times, but normally that should not happen.

What you can try is reinstalling the motherboard chipset drivers and then installing the videocard drivers and see if that helps.

3. Zobbo

Zobbo New Member

Hey there, thanks for the reply. I managed to get it working again however I think now my graphics card is only using the drivers before this whole incident happened. I uninstalled the drivers through windows safe mode and then restarted and windows recognized the card again. However whenever I try to download the latest drivers after that it goes back to the way it was. Anyway, as long as the card is working again that's the main thing. Is it really necessary to get the latest drivers even if my card is working again or can I just use these old drivers? Any advice on this matter would help but I'm just glad windows now recognises my card again.

4. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

If all is working and no problems then you can keep using those drivers.