Windows 10: Fall Creators' Update - Likes/Dislikes

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Those who got the latest update, give your opinion on the changes/additions and whatever else you feel like addressing re: the latest update from Microsoft.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

First... i'm rather liking the fact that it's given you more power and control over privacy settings and other variables that seemed to exist in for example windows 7/8 that mostly took a hike in 10 (mostly due to the complete redesign of the gui).

The other fact is that it's update system seems to significantly improved... however I still ABSOLUTELY hate the fact that i cannot set a download speed limit for updates... ever since windows 8, windows update being downloaded on just a single device will COMPLETELY nuke the internet for the entire building/business/home, for potentially hours or days at a time. This is specially true when big updates that require essentially a complete ISO download PER machine to be processed.. and for many of us out here, a single machine doing the 4gb download can take almost all day, and will eat up 4% of the data limit on the dedicated high speeds, if you have 6 machines.. that's 24% gone due to an update... and having "tried" to enable the network sharing of updates... it doesn't appear to alleviate the problem even slightly. Being stuck on a 1-2mbps connection is strangling us... basically we've got the modern day equivilent of dialup internet.... having talked directly to microsoft about the problem and pointing to the root cause... they simply keep insisting that a router with QoS should help.. but it doesn't.. it flat out doesn't sort it out, my gaud, steam/origin/uplay/battle.net and numerous other arguably simplier programs have download speed options, wtf microsoft.

Those on ryzen/threadripper/epyc systems should definitely get this update.... Microsoft has fine tuned and properly fixed the scheduler for threads. Instead of Thread 0,1,14,15 being populated for a 4 thread program (which is UTTERLY shitty, since basically one core on one ccx is being loaded with 2 threads, and the other ONE core on the other ccx is being loaded with 2 threads)... the distribution is properly loading thread 0,2,4,6, which means that all 4 threads are getting their own dedicated core all within the same ccx of the cpu. Some programs are seeing 10-20-50% or even higher performance improvements. What's kind of interesting is that on intel systems this didn't appear to happen in terms of the SMT implemented.... so it's not clear why windows 10's scheduler was actually messed up... While windows 7 didn't suffer quite as badly, it still wasn't as optimised as build 1709 of windows 10. This is made more abundantly clear with nvidia graphics cards that heavily tax a single thread.... games that showed far worse performance with nvidia graphics cards (due to how it is HEAVILY cpu bound) are no longer performing nearly as badly compared to intel cpus on Zen architecture with the new update. Suffice it to say, all the lingering downsides of zen compared to intel which were almost exclusively limited to games and certain professional programs have mostly disappeared with the update.

The new windows build also includes newer versions of drivers for certain devices that either weren't at all available before, or simply improved on them. While obviously one would download the latest referrence driver for their gpu/chipset... some boards/chipsets/gpu/audio adapters or even other 3rd party add in cards or ICs that weren't supported at all or had poor support have improved, this tends to happen with every major update to windows 10 though... but it's nice to see life breathed into OLDER systems that were either not working at all before, or simply have improved considerably. It's amazing to see full 60fps playback on devices that haven't had a display driver update for 10 years nearly.... that were failing to even run 15fps for video. My old netbook for example with the GMA3150 graphics.. that barely had windows 7 support even, is not capable of playing back 720p 60fps content without skipping a beat... which is amazing, because even under 7 or windows xp.... it couldn't have a hope in hell of doing that even with full driver support.

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I dont like that my folder options were all reset but other than that a pretty flawless install ..MS really have this upgrade thing sorted

4. Dyre Straits

I wish they would add a print option for the Calculator. I do use it to keep track of my bank account and daily activity.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  5. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

6. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

My update went smooth and installed without any issues except for one so far..

Some reason or other at the lock screen I occasionally need to enter my PIN twice.

7. Judas

why bother with a password/pin at all?

8. Dyre Straits

I don't do so on my desktop. But, on my laptop and on my relatives' PCs that I take care of, I insist they use a password as I've had to deal with too many OTHER members of the family/friend circle getting on --- especially my MOM'S --- PC and causing all kinds of havoc. I told her to NOT give the password to anyone and do NOT let others on her PC, laptop, tablet, or any other device she finds herself coming into her possession.

9. Judas

fair enough...

10. ep30rpg

ep30rpg Member

those who own certain Creative sound blaster cards should beware of the problems with those cards and using/upgrading to the windows 10 fall creators update mentioned in this creative forum thread:
    http://forums.creative.com/showthread.php?t=742038