Windows 10 will try not to reboot when you’re just grabbing a cup of coffee

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

The next semi-annual update to Windows 10 will use machine learning models to make automatic rebooting for updates a bit less annoying. The models will attempt to predict when you're likely to return to your PC and not update if you're expected back soon.

In prior versions of Windows, it was routine for systems to be compromised through flaws that were patched months previously because Windows users deferred installing those updates or even disabled Windows Update entirely. Windows 10 goes to some lengths to ensure that Windows users, especially home users, apply the monthly security patches in a timely fashion through a policy of automatically rebooting when a patch is available. Last year, Microsoft gave users greater control over this feature, allowing those reboots to be explicitly scheduled, but the policy of automatic installation and rebooting remains fundamentally in place.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Big brother.

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

This is one reason I will stick to W7 on my HTPC since I can turn this bloody thing off. Not fun having the computer suddenly reboot in the middle of a movie.

Trusteft likes this.