Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Has anyone heard any rumors or info about the sequel to WIndows 8, Windows 10?
    How compatible is going to be with previous software etc?

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Yeah I have heard lots of rumours and leaks. It appears to be hybrid of Windows 7 and 8. They have re-introduced the Start button only now there is a section that accepts Live Tiles there too. Supposedly it senses whether you are using a touch interface or Mouse/Keyboard and adapts accordingly - so M/K users will get a more Windows 7 like experience. Then some stuff about display scaling to better utilise 4k+ displays, the ability to run 'Metro' apps in a panel on the desktop. Continuous updates unlike the model of releasing a new version of Windows every few years. More integration with cloud based services (not sure how I feel about this one) I think you will need a M$ account to install.

I will be installing it as soon as it becomes available.

3. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I agree with Jcc this looks like a mahooosive step in the right direction , I also will install As soon as

4. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I got Windows 8.1 now and while I did not like it one bit... after some skins and mods to make it look like windows 7 (start button) and disabling the gems or whatever they are called as well as surpressing the windows start screen you normally get (I boot straight to desktop) I have to say: I like it. It is very snappy.

this is just a response to this news being a step in the right direction... I mean, you can make each windows fit your needs is all I'm saying.
    Of course it would be great if M$ did everything right out of the gates, but fat chance of that happening.

5. Trusteft

I am not sure I like the idea of having constant upgrades to the OS. Sure it might work great, but it also means you are tied down to it.
    I wonder how much, if any, it will be backwards compatible with programs and games from previous generations of Windows. XP? 98?

6. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

No more than Win 8.1, but probably not much less either. This looks like an incremental upgrade.

Previously, MS has stated that they have done away with service packs and that everything (security, stability and feature updates) will go through regular monthly updates. I don't think that it's a good idea, especially for newer features. As is, user A will have features X, Y and Z, B will have none, C will only have X, while D will have Y and Z etc. Sounds like a nightmare to support, for 3rd party application developers and everyone else.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If I can i'd like to snag windows 10 preview today... and get it installed...

From what I can see it still looks like they bloody well kept the 32bit version around..... gaud dammit kill that OS...

I was told it was a new kernel type, from the ground up, but I don't know, looks like it's 6.4 to me. (vista 6.0, 7 is 6.1 and 8.0 is 6.2, followed by 8.1 being 6.3)

8. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It is pretty much Windows 8.3 but then Windows 8 was just 7 with a crappy touch interface bolted on top of it. How much has actually changed in the underlying code over the last few iterations is very hard to tell. There are still 32 bit versions available so they haven't decided to go x64 only - what actual CPU would be the cut-off point for them to do that? I know I have had an x64 capable CPU for as long as I can remember.

Anyhow, the download is now available and yes you do need a M$ account to join the 'Insider' program. Download is flying down for me though.

One thing I have noticed is that you cannot turn off Windows Update in this version.

Also, the privacy statement is quite troubling, M$ stating that they will basically collect and distribute pretty much everything you do with your machine - that's the real niggle for me with having a system so intertwined with cloud and store services.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  9. IvanV

I think that the cutoff point will be when even the cheapest x86 devices (and that now includes the small, handheld ones) acquire enough RAM that the more memory consuming OS isn't too much of a burden for them.

EDIT: Also, a lot of Intel Atom CPUs that were only introduced last year are 32-bit.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  10. Trusteft

Surely you can choose to not share things with MS, right?

11. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I reckon that is just for this Preview Version. M$ is releasing this now and is using the public to Beta-test it. By being able to collect everything everyone does they can exactly see how every person uses the OS on different configurations, which (hopefully) only benefits further development and finetuning of the UI.

I do hope this privacy setting will not be included in the final product.

12. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I also thought that the Privacy statement reflected the fact that this was a preview and they are trying to collect as much data as possible. However I also believe it could infer a new business model where the OS itself is much cheaper but your information and preferences are shared with third parties. This OS has already asked me to enter my credit card details (as if). We'll have to make sure that they are well aware that we want thorough safeguards on privacy.

As for the OS itself, it is pretty much a slight refinement on Windows 8.1 - it is friendlier to desktop users. Install was very quick and easy, all my devices were found with no issues and it migrated some of my preferences from my previous install. The two new mandatory icons on the taskbar seem pretty much useless to me and I doubt I will use them. The live tiles on the Start menu look quite nice but they are again not much use. I would still much prefer having gadgets on my actual desktop for a clock and for weather.

Tech Preview.jpg

At least the weather tile does appear to update in this version. The clock tile often goes to sleep. There is still a sense of two competing UIs. When I click the mail tile I get taken to the 'metro' version of Mail which looks like it belongs on a smartphone although at least it does not hijack the entire screen anymore. The borders on the windows are now very thin which looks quite crisp, there is also a drop shadow effect for the windows which looks terrible IMO and doesn't fit the modern, crisp theme at all. This can be turned off - I would like a drop shadow that is also crisp and subtle to give the UI some depth.

Only incompatability I have found so far is that themes don't work properly for Firefox.

So far it's a step in the right direction but early days yet.

13. Trusteft

I like the idea of thinner windows' borders.
    Is the taskbar more or less the same with Windows 8 then? I hate that I can't see the title of each window and instead just see an icon.
    HATE IT.

IF they go ahead with the privacy issues and not remove them, I won't touch Windows 10. Thankfully Linux and MacOS are gathering more support for games and MacOS already has programs I need to use if I have to.

14. IvanV

I've just downloaded the image and since my plans for tonight got cancelled, I'll probably try it out later today. I just need to figure out which of the 4 Windows partitions to format. I've got all of them for a reason, I just can't remember what reason would that be. :D

I'm pretty sure the usage monitoring stuff will be at least controllable in the final build. :)

15. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

The Taskbar is as far as I can tell identical to the Windows 8 version. It has the same transparency, only difference is that there are now two icons next to the Start button - these don't seem to be able to be removed. One is 'Task View' which displays all your running windows on-screen. A bit like Aero Flip but with flat tiles. The other is 'Search' which seems to be some kind of universal web and app search tool. You can display titles on the Taskbar though if you go to Taskbar properties and select 'never combine' - I don't think this is new to Windows TP but I always just have icons.

Trusteft likes this.
  16. IvanV

What's the difference between Task View and this screen in Windows 8.1 (I don't know what it's called, I get it when I do a three-finger upwards gesture)?

Pregled.jpg

17. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It appears to be exactly the same but it's something I never used in Windows 8.1 - only new thing is the Add a Desktop option at the bottom I think.
    Task View.jpg

IvanV likes this.
  18. IvanV

I have no idea how to get that screen, other than through the gestures. I only found it when reading the manual for the laptop, where it wasn't called by any special name, so I have no idea if it's an obscure Windows 8.1 feature, or something added by ASUS (although it shouldn't be).

19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've never seen a request for credit card anywhere.... at all..

Intel Atoms have had x64 support since 2008 (6 years running) with the introduction of the 3xx series atoms.... the 2xx however had partial 64bit support (230 yes... 270 no for example)

I think the 4xx series was the first to encompass all the chips with 64bit support.

Right now there are just a bunch of tablets or very uber cheap devices that use 32bit windows, even though they support 64bit at the cpu level but not at a UEFI level (which is retarded!).

I've removed windows 8.1 from a bunch of my machines and am running 10 on everything, netbook, main computer, various OLD machines, some of which are 2003-2005 era without any issues. Windows vista/7 drivers for legacy video cards installed without a hitch. Overall pretty solid support.

Only ran into a glitch once in which surprisingly, during playback of a youtube video and then launching portal 2 for the first time resulted in the nightly x64 browser crashing, at which point Microsoft stepped in and proceed to dump and send the information automatically which took about 10-15 minutes. (I could keep doing whatever)

20. IvanV

Did you have any problems with Nvidia cards? Someone told me he couldn't get the ones for Windows 8 to install on 10.

As for Atoms being 64-bit since 2008, some have, but not all, for example this family of tablet-oriented Atoms, dual core with HT and up to 2GHz, released in 2013, are 32-bit.