Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I got the clock to update properly - it needs to be added to the 'Lock Screen Applications' section under Lock Screen in PC Settings. Still, this is the best clock in the Store and the design quality is not good. All the elements are scrunched up in the top left corner.

Clock.jpg

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So Windows send info back to the mothership without the option to stop it?

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Here is the Privacy Statement. Note that it only relates to the pre-release software, not the final product. As far as I was able to see, Windows 10 has all of the privacy options from Windows 8.

BTW, if anyone wishes to disable automatic updates (control disabled by default), go to gpedit.msc -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates.

Trusteft likes this.
  4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Yes I've actually an Nvidia 8800gt pci-ex and a 6200 pci card running in windows 10 just fine, the latest available drivers installed without a single complaint (though I use custom and I uncheck 3d driver and GeForce experience as they are entirely useless).

Can you give a model that contains those newer atoms?

because while a lot of people are think they are 32bit only.. they are 64bit but with a 32bit UEFI restriction, the tablets are fully 64bit capable but due to the UEFI restriction, a 64bit os cannot be started/installed, though some people have reportedly managed to get a UEFI bios to load a 32bit boot manager that then loads a 64bit wrapper and allows a 64bit os to run. (stupid, complicated, and buggy).

I've had 3 different tablets in from 3 different manufacturers, one of which is asus, and all have this entirely idiotic limitation. Though forcing a 64bit os onto any of them is possible, the higher suspend states aren't supported because they haven't developed a "driver" for it either and one of the primary reasons they claim, that they wish to prevent others from installing a 64bit os.

5. IvanV

Well, Intel's ARK site claims that they have 32-bit instruction set, but, Googling the CPUs, I was only able to find them in Android running smartphones and phablets from ASUS and Lenovo, which makes my point a bit moot.

What is the correct way of setting up multiboot after adding Windows 10 to a computer running other versions of Windows? After the installation, my PC would go straight to Win 10, and when I tried to use the startup repair option from the installation DVD, it only offered me to try to repair the Windows 10 instance. I tried to add one of the other Windows installations with bcdedit. I probably did something wrong, but that actually did the trick, because, on restart, startup repair ran on it's own and found all of my other OSes. Still, there must be a better way?!

BTW, I ran 3D Mark, Fire Strike is significantly lower, although I used Catalyst 14.9 and on 7 I benched with 14.7 RC3 and earlier.

6. Judas

since windows vista, installing an OS to the same partition as another copy of windows is bad and usually results in the original windows that was installed previous being stuffed into an old files folder making it pretty much dead/toast.

So it's best to install to another partition forcing a boot manager to be loaded.

7. IvanV

I had 4 Windows installations (What?! Richy has cats, I wave Windows!), so I decided I could do without one of them and formatted the partition it was occupying to use it for Windows 10. The problem was probably that I formatted a Vista installation that was the oldest one on the machine, so that probably destroyed boot data for all installed OSes.

What I'd like to know is what would be the most straight-forward way to make Windows 10 repair my boot options, because what I did (try manually and botch it, prompting Windows 10 to initiate a repair) doesn't seem too elegant to me?

8. IvanV

Sorry about the double post, but did anyone get Hyper-V to work in Windows 10?

9. Judas

erg... removing the oldest partition which typically has all the boot manager information is pretty brutal, and explains alot.

Not sure what to suggest short of consulting google.

10. IvanV

I know, I just thought there'd be a startup repair option which would scan all the partitions and rebuild the data. Which did happen, except I'm not happy with the way I invoked that action (by making a mess with bcdedit - I was lucky it ended well).

As for the Hyper-V problem, this is what I get in Event Viewer:
    Hypervisor launch failed; The operating system boot loader was unable to allocate sufficient memory to complete the operation.
    Source: Hyper-V-Hypervisor
    Event ID: 83

This happens on boot. Googling didn't help at all (not a single relevant result!), so I opened a thread on Technet.

BTW, I discovered one small thing: If you try to drag the mouse cursor from one screen to the next, but go along the very top or bottom edge of the screen, it will get stuck on the edge of the monitor. I'm not sure if this is new in this version of Windows, but 7 definitely doesn't do that.

11. Judas

Windows 8 and 8.1 did that.... I think it's a feature that you can disable if I'm not mistaken, (useful for snapping windows)

12. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I have the iso and the disc made. I'm awaiting more feedback before diving in. When I do, however, it will be with just one HDD active for the install.

Also, just how much of a learning curve is expected for those of us who totally skipped out on 8 and 8.1?

13. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

It's not much of a struggle for Windows 7 users, the start behaviour is very similar. The issue with Windows 8 was always the feeling that you were dealing with two different OS on your machine - that is lessened now. The only slight hangover of that for me is that you still have PC Settings and the original Control Panel.

I'm liking it so far, it looks quite modern and crisp and has some nice usability features. I particularly like the PIN logon system - for whatever reason Windows 8 would often tell me that my password was wrong and so I'd have to type it again, if you had a strong or long password that was a PITA - now it's just a matter of tapping a 4 digit code. Much friendlier.

14. IvanV

You could have had a 4-digit code before, but you wouldn't have considered a four character, digit only, password safe. :p

Feel free to try it, Dyre, you should feel right at home. When adjusting system settings, look for old-fashioned settings panels (Control Panel and the likes), many of them have modern equivalents, but they don't always have all of the functionalities.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  15. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Played around with it over the weekend on a Lenovo T410 with an Intel i5 and 4 gigs of ram and it seemed pretty responsive. I ran setup on it twice, the first time connecting to the Wifi and then I could not get past the point of having to punch in or create a MS account on it. The second time, I kept it off the wireless and it asked to create a local account instead. This was the first issue and maybe not an issue depending on what you do with it. I can see where they were going with having it attached to an MS account along with a Windows Phone but I don't know if I like the idea of being forced to. It should be an option all the way around.

The second thing is initially I was irritated because I couldn't find Event Viewer, Computer Manager, Device Manager, Disk Manager, Services or any of the other stuff. I created an MMC console and then just added all those options and saved it to the desktop but after playing around with it some more I found that you can add the computer, network, control panel and something else to the desktop, which when right clicked on "Computer", gave me access to the "Manage" option and from there everything else I needed.

The "PC Settings" in the start menu really doesn't give you what I would call PC Settings as it's really dumbed down and generic but that is only my opinion.

As far as the rest of it and general purpose use, so far I like it. It seems quick, a little easier to manage and things seem to back in more common sense locations (like having a control panel for centralized locations of settings). Things seemed to be way to spread out in Win 8 and it seems like they did a pretty good job of combining what worked for both in Win 7 and 8.

So far, so good. As long as the privacy issue is addressed in a retail version, I may make the jump from Win 7 to Win 10. I do look forward to playing around with this more after it's out to tie it with my phone but with Beta and what MS is collecting, I don't think I need them collecting data with both devices.

Jand.

16. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Dyre, I think you'll be ok. The setup is a little different but nothing that's to far out there and if you personalize the desktop by adding some of the common icons, like desktop, and what not it really won't be much different then Win 7 as far as access to settings go. My wife played around with it after all over the weekend and didn't really have to get used to it at all it was that easy to jump right in.

17. IvanV

There is a way around it. You click to create an MS account and then at some point (I think on the next screen) you've got the option to create a local account instead. It's not obvious (deliberately), but I think that it's about the same in 8(.1).

18. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

Thanks IvanV, I'll wipe it and go through the setup again. I want to play around with the unattended Win setup so perfect time to look into that.

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

You can switch to a local account whilst your in the OS. It's in the PC Settings app, Users and Account, Disconnect.

If anyone has CPU-z installed can you let me know if your CPU info is being read by the app - for me most of the entries are blank.

Calliers likes this.
  20. Judas

Always creating a local account...... I neither want or need an online based system, specially with the fact that internet is still not fast enough to make it viable.

When installing windows 8/8.1/10, and it gets to a screen asking you to log into your ms account, and you don't appear to have the option to create a local account, just do the following

In the username field type:

[email protected]

in the password field type:

Hit enter, at which point it'll refuse, and then beside the login fields, you can click on the option to login without an ms account, from there you can create a new local account.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Calliers, Mr Cairo and Dyre Straits like this.