Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

You mean the serial changes after an upgrade?

I did this with my laptop when I wanted to test if W10 would work on it. It didn't, at least not gfx wise, so I reverted. Never did check if there was any change to the serial though.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I'm actually pretty sure that it doesn't but better safe than sorry.

3. Liqourice

Don't know if there's any difference really. On this rig I didn't upgrade, I made a clean install and used the W7 key, but I suppose I should check that key just to see.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Apparently, today is the upgrade day at the office. One colleague has done it this morning and another one is doing it right now. I'm curious to how it will turn out it's a reasonably powerful machine, but a slightly older one: i7-720QM, 8GB RAM, Quadro FX880M.

BTW, the Upgrade Advisor refused to proceed with the installation on that machine due to the GPU (actually, it just said that 'Display' was not compatible). We followed this advice and it worked.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

FYI.... if you use a windows 7 serial to perform a upgrade CLEAN install on a machine... that windows 7 serial is exchanged for a windows 10 serial which is HARDLOCKED to the machine it was performed on.

I've already had to deal with some idiots that took their laptop windows 7 serial.... plugged it in during a clean install of windows 10 on ANOTHER computer (laptop/desktop/doesn't matter).... proceeded with the install... determined they didn't like it.... at the time.... 9 months later tried to perform the upgrade on the laptop and failed validation... and they can't get it re-validated due to having used the key on the other machine. While YES you can "use" the same windows 7 or 8 key to run the older os on one machine... and use the same key to run windows 10 on another and keep both "activated/valid" .... though ultra grey...... you have no hope of upgrade the original machine to windows 10 without buying a new windows 10 key.

Additionally it's pretty much painful/impossible to migrate an already upgraded windows 7/8.x to 10 system to another / newer computer for the same reasons. So if you've already moved to windows 10 ... and then decided "i'm going to get a new machine and reuse my original windows 7/8.x key or even copy the "new" windows 10 key you were given over to the newer machine".... you're SOL.

HOWEVER, if you have a genuine windows 10 copy/key.... no upgrade... the OEM copy can be moved once at least.... though i've already migrated the same windows 10 key to 3 different machines, the 2nd and 3rd times required a call in and for them to "verify" that the copy was not still installed on the previous machine. So essentially the same rules apply as before.

and just as an additionally note... i've been installing windows 10 or performing the upgrade on all machines i've built since 2005. Anything that is a dual core cpu with at least 2GB of ram has been flawless.. the standard VGA Graphics driver in windows 10 is quite impressive... so even for ancient iGPU solutions.... it still works better than windows xp/7. Some machines i've went out and got cheap HD6450 or R5 230's... installed them and away they go.

Windows 10 will however work very well on a single core p4 or the like... but a single core cpu even with windows xp on modern websites with flash or/and HTML5 is basically impossible to use without waiting eons and dealing with massive slowdowns.

6. IvanV

Thanks for the info, that's good to know!

BTW, Windows 10 recognized the GPU of my colleague's laptop just fine once it installed, apparently, MS simply hadn't updated the "supported hardware list" in a while.

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Got another cumulative update just now.

Here's the latest version information....

Windows10-ver-8-10-16.JPG

8. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

9. Judas

Oh thank gaud.... it's been painful for for hundreds of updates to be download followed by a reboot and another hundred or more.

In my experience... either A: everyone installs all the updates, including optional.... or B: no one installs anything every.

Guess which group has the most difficulties? That's be group B.

Exceptions to the rule would be Group C which fine tunes and picks individual updates... this group is not only extremely small... we're talking likely sub 0.0001% of the users. And they still run into problems occasionally.

10. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

And a reminder, no cursing or insults outside the FWZ. The last post were uncalled for.

I have deleted the last message posted as is 100% off topic. But Trusteft if you have a Total Hatred to windows 10 (Which you have made it very clear on more than one occasion) may be it's best if you avoided this thread altogether ? (Just a thought)

11. IvanV

Lame.

On the other hand, I'm really not obsessed with getting updates. My Win 8.1 laptop is working like clockwork and it's been without updates since April 2014 (I was unaware of the situation for a while and then I just thought "If it works..."). I used to keep my Win 7 desktop up to date, but I stopped when MS started with those aggressive updates that promoted Win10, and then they started adding telemetry and other c***, and now with this, I'd say that that computer got all the updates it was going to get.

12. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I wonder if you can run the unpack switch to extract the individual updates out of the file. Usually cumulative updates consists of multiple separate .msi installers.

In theory you could download the file, extract all the files out, delete what you don't want, and rebuild the file, or create a script to run the individual files in sequence.

IvanV likes this.
  13. Dyre Straits

Totally pissed off!!!!

Just because I linked my XBOX to Windows 10, I now have to enter a password to get onto my PC!!! Since my PC is in a secured location, I've NEVER entered a password just to get on it. Until NOW, that is!!! I simply wanted a way to share screenshots and videos from my XB gaming to my PC.

EDIT/UPDATE: FWIW, I went through and disabled having to enter a password to get into Windows 10. What totally ticked me off was that, while doing the linking from the XBOX to Windows 10, I did NOT see any kind of reference to the fact that it would cause this issue.
    AND, just so you all know, I DO have password protection on my laptop, my Kindle Fire AND on my smartphone. On the phone I even have fingerprint protection. Since those things leave the house, it's pretty much required to do so.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  14. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

If anyone wants to leave their MS account linked to the PC, like you had Dyre... but have windows auto-start...

Go to start menu
    Type "netplwiz" without quotes
    Enter the app it brings up
    Untick "enter password to use computer"
    When clicking OK it'll ask you to enter your password twice
    Next time you boot... it'll enter the password for you and sign you in automatically

That's the same for older versions of windows too.

The only thing is if you computer goes to sleep rather than shutdown - you'll still have to enter password when it wakes up again - I haven't found anyway to disable that yet on Win10 but then I haven't looked for it either.

I had my MS account linked when I first started using Win10 - but now I don't have anything linked as it annoys me too, having to enter password to use home computer.

Last time it did it automatically was when I tried the Forza Horizon Beta... it forced me to link the MS account to my PC in order to access it - very annoying.

IvanV and Dyre Straits like this.
  15. Judas

Since windows 8.x launched.... about half if not the vast majority have been dumping their xbox or email address that is associated to a microsoft account into the system... I've told people COUNTLESS times.. NOT to do this... during the launch of an app that request a login to microsoft account, it asks for your email and password.... after hitting next... it asks for the password a 2nd time (directly below that box however is a "only log into this app") It states in this window that it'll log you into "everything" essentially which does essentially what you're irritated with. You learned your lesson however hopefully.

I'm logged into the xbox app and numerous other apps, but each one you have to make certain not to punch in your password twice resulting in the entire windows OS relying on logging into the account.

The idea was/is and some people like it (and frankly if people want it, they can have it .. great)... but those that don't.. they can still opt out of it. So there really isn't any foul.

16. Dyre Straits

Yes, exactly what I did and now I'm on Windows 10 without the password requirement. :)

17. Liqourice

I guess it's time to turn updates off on W7 then. :p

18. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I want to update windows, or at least do a fresh install, but I only have 3gb free on the local drive.
    When trying to update or create a new install file (for a fresh install) I need to have at least 8gb free...

How in the name of all that is holy can I get around this and make a new (fresh) windows install?

I tried google and he refuses to give me a straight answer.

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I think you are just supposed to buy a new larger drive...

It's always all about the money, you see.

20. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

which would still not help me in the slightest.. my local drive where windows is installed will still have 3gb free. There is no option to select a different drive. Currently I have plenty of free hdd space on a different partition + my SSD, but I cannot select these when wanting to download the windows update (or install file) using the auto-update or the media creation tool, they will default to my local drive.