Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I guess I was thinking the existing install be transferred to the larger drive first... Then do all that other stuff.

2. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I think I sorted it out now with downloading an .iso file from the windows website and using rufus to create a bootable usb.
    I guess I'll have a shitload of updates to install once I do a reformat but it's about time for a springcleaning anyway.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I came close to correcting you...but, then I realized....where you are it IS Spring. :)

daithompson and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. Neshi

haha yup! Not too long now and daylight savings comes around!

I wasn't aware you could. Wouldn't my windows install be corrupted if I move it?

5. Tyrsonswood

I don't know about Win10 but it used to be possible... I never liked the way Win7 did it natively so I used Easus.

6. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Is it a laptop so you can't install a second drive?

7. Neshi

it is not and I can, but I thought that just moving the data on my C: drive would corrupt my windows installation.
    Without moving it I have insufficient space on my C: drive.

8. Tyrsonswood

It's not just moving it, the whole root is re written on the new drive so it's bootable.

9. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Late to the party (I'm on a vacation in Sicily :p), but you could repartition the drive, or maybe a disk cleanup would help (especially if you choose to clean up system files, and then remove old update packages).

Dyre Straits likes this.
  10. Dyre Straits

It's taking "forever" to update the laptop my step-dad gave me earlier this year. I guess I can only blame myself, though, as I haven't even started it up in maybe two months....or more.

11. Dyre Straits

My son is having an issue where the right-click menu doesn't pop up when he right-clicks on the Start icon. Anyone have a clue as to how to fix this?

12. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The only time i usually see this is due to a failed/improper installation of windows 10... sometimes if a major build update has been processed that didn't go through entirely (interupted, sometimes by the user, i see this often on laptops where someone has left the machine unplugged, and then walked away after hitting shutdown or figuring that sleep/hibernation would take care of it for them, only to come back and wonder why it's not work quite right, due to the machine proceeding with the update and then losing power a good portion of the way through).

Usually a refresh/recovery reinstall of windows 10 takes care of it provided the recovery data isn't buggered. I know SFC scannow won't do it ever (at least for me)... and trying numerous registry solutions and repairs other ways.. doesn't.

13. Dyre Straits

Thanks!

14. IvanV

I'll be assembling a PC from already purchased parts installing Windows 10 onto an SSD for a friend. I don't know the model of the SSd, but my guess is that it's something up to date. Is there something that I should be aware of, BIOS settings I need to set prior to installation, or OS settings I'd need to apply afterwards? I think it should be just fine to simply plug everything together and let it rip, but I'd like to be sure.

EDIT: I've come upon an advice to disconnect other disk drives, if any, prior to installation, I'm not sure what that is all about, but I guess I'll do it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  15. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

It's always a good thing to do with a fresh Windows install... Windows likes to do weird things to disks if there is more than one connected. This is not a Windows 10 thing, but a Windows thing and has been a nuisance for as long as I can remember. I always disconnect all drives except for the System drive prior to initiating any fresh install of ANY version of Windows

QB

Dyre Straits and IvanV like this.
  16. IvanV

Thanks, QB! :)

Funny, I wasn't aware of that, and I've always had multiboot configurations (currently, old HDD with the old Win 7 instance, new HDD with another Win 7 and Win 10) and I've never seen any weird behaviour, but I'll adopt it as best practice. :)

17. Judas

Make certain to only have the SSD operational if you have more than one drive.... it just makes for a smoother setup....

Make certain in the UEFI bios... to enable secure boot... as well as disable CSM or Legacy boot options ENTIRELY (run in pure UEFI mode)... if it's an M.2/u.2 ssd of any quality, just use NVME for the protocal.... if it's a SATA SSD.... use the AHCI mode unless RAID is a requirement for the other drives (do not raid SSDs... it's pointless).

It's easiest to use a USB to install windows 10 quickly and efficiently... https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 <~ download the tool and in the selection options.... just pick USB and make sure you have at a minimum a 8GB USB flash drive.. if you've a USB 3.0 flash drive with any kind of speed, your installation of windows 10 will complete incredibly fast compared to 2.0/dvd. I'd also advise that you select only the 64bit version and not "both".

Install windows 10 with the network cable/internet connection plug in.... proceed through the installation, when it finishes up to the point where you have to choose your initial settings... hit customize

[​IMG]

and toggle off the first 3 options, and if you so choose, the 4th, click next

[​IMG]

Clicking next, typically the first 2 options are toggled off.... but do as you wish

followed by the last page usually i leave those be but again do what you like.

MAKE SURE NOT TO LOGIN TO A MICROSOFT ACCOUNT, instead skip that step and put in a name for a LOCAL account.

After which windows will finish setting things up.. stick around as long as you can and ONCE it says "lets start"... disconnect from the internet by pulling the cable or as quickly as possible, disabling the wireless or whatever option is available to do so. The reason for this is to prevent windows 10 from automatically downloading a load of usually dated drivers and installing them straight away. This is where it's best to have gone and downloaded the latest referrence drivers for the system either PRIOR to doing a fresh install and slapping them all on a usb stick for later.. or having a 2nd machine to download with, transfer to usb and then insert into the fresh installed machine without a connection to do those driver updates.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com <~ for intel systems, search for "inf" as well as "HD graphics xxx" where xxx is the igpu graphics you have and lastly "RST" for the latest AHCI/Raid sata drivers. Currently the latest intel inf is 10.1.1.42, the latest RST is 15.2 (just download the x64 floppy package unless you prefer to have the intel software GUI for additional (yet mostly unnecessary in most cases) configuration options. And as for the HD graphics, that depends on the model.. Best is to install the inf package.. reboot.... then manually go into the device manager and right click on the AHCI/RAID controller and update, point it to the extracted x64 floppy folder (15.2 as of right now)... and let it automatically install and update. If you've OLDER systems, you may be limited to either the 14.8... much older systems will be restricted to 12.9 and back beyond that any further it's wise just to stick with the INF installed version usually.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download <~ obviously for AMD based systems or components... If you have an AMD based chipset for the mainboard... do your usual search.... get the latest package... extract them and proceed with the installation, for the most part, you shouldn't need the USB filter drivers so only install it if you run into a problem.... MOST of the time that's the only thing that shows up... even on older systems you'll have to just exit the setup program and manually go into the device manager and go to the AHCI/RAID device, right click, update driver and navigate to the AMD folder on the C:\ drive... then let it search through it and install... Proceed to the system devices list and in some cases, specially with older boards, you'll have to right click and nearly every component and repeat doing a automatic search of the AMD folder, it's hard to tell which devices might be needing to do that, so typically i just go through the entire list just to be sure i didn't miss anything... it's annoying and i don't get why amd seems to fail to do this... but in my experience this FIXES a ton of shit and improves performance considerably.

Obviously for the add-in graphics cards, make sure get the latest for them from either nvidia or amd.

Lastly, http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false ~> The realtek audio package (currently R2.81) for the common onboard audio, still out of all the onboard ICs for audio, realtek still seems to be the best option.

Once you've installed all those main critical drivers... and have rebooted throughout when needed, then connect to the internet, and let windows 10 do it's updates.

Just a LAST FYI though, every time microsoft brings out a complete new significant build of windows 10, the media creation tool is update, at which point it's wise to format the USB stick you've used or grab a new DVD and download the latest build... this will save you many hours and a lot of problems by getting the latest and only having just a couple of updates to install rather than previous versions of windows in which a fresh install is performed and then 10's/100's of updates having to be installed taking sometimes hours and hours just to get through not to mention eating up a load of bandwidth.

IvanV likes this.
  18. QB71

QB71 Well-Known Member

One time Windows created a partition on a Storage Drive (can't remember for sure, but I think I wiped the drive first!)... Most of the time it will just throw up an "unable to install" on the selected drive, or some such terminology. I never use a dual boot setup, maybe doing so helps with the issues I've seen over the years, but I detest dual boots :p. If I want a different version of windows, I'll just slap it on an old junk drive and pop it in my docking station and change boot order in the BIOS... so rarely do I use an older version of windows... I also have XP as a virtual machine.

But yeah, safest and easiest way to clean install Windows is to have just ONE drive active.

QB

19. IvanV

Thanks, guys! I've done most of the steps as advised (I only wish I remembered to download a fresh ISO, but I was already on my way when Judas posted). The biggest issue turned out to be where to screw down the SSD. :D Apparently, on a Saturday afternoon, only the shops in major malls are open, and they don't carry smalls such as 2.5" to 3.5" adapters (even if other stores from the same chains do). With some creativity, though, we did manage to find a spot and fortunately, all the new hardware (mobo, APU, RAM and SSD) work fine and installing from a USB3 flash drive was indeed a breeze, so we ended this unusually cozy 18-20°C evening by the river with some beers and popcorn. :)

20. Judas

Since the move to a windows NT... i've found it's just safer to install using a single drive..... even installing certain software packages tends to unload a bit onto the other drives if any partitions are there.. but on occasion.... any OS will for some strange reason... randomly create an unremovable partition where the boot manager/data is... and gaud damn does that screw shit up down the road if anything happens.

One of the occasional issues i see with windows 10 is that if you don't install the latest major build, is that later it'll download the ENTIRE newer build (which just wastes time and energy that would have been spent just using the media creation tool from the start)... not to mention the "upgrade" process has a low chance, but a chance none the less.. to bugger things up... much akin to upgrading windows xp to vista or whatever.... i'd even go as far to say that it's like if a service pack failed to install just right.. and rolling back while possible.. isn't really an ideal solution... instead the best option is to use the recovery manager in windows 10 to do a "refresh" install of windows (in place)...