Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Thats really good to know .... thx :)

2. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Thanks for that, I just went local on my Windows 8.1 installation now, save all that bandwidth for something else.

3. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I gave it a go on a couple of VMs, one on my Mac and one on my PC, to see what it was like. Overall, not particularly overwhelming; it's essentially Windows 8.2 from the feel of things.
    The UI is almost identical, minus the Metro integration. The Start menu is back, with a culmination of Metro on the right and a Win7 wannabe on the left, which isn't bad at all, all things considered; I like the active tiles but not enough to merit them taking over the screen.
    Windows 8.1 with the Metro interface works really well on the Surface series but on a desktop I swapped it out in a heartbeat for Start8. The Windows 10 Start menu is a nice middle point.
    Metro "apps" still exist, though now they're available in their own windows.
    Other than that it just seems identical to Windows 8. Themes, Task Manager, Paint, Calculator... they all appear to be the same as Windows 8. That's what I feel is the disappointment.

In regards to the local user, for both Windows 8 (and 8.1) and Windows 10 I went to "Don't have an account?", which presents the option to use a local account.

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Got the preview installed on an isolated HDD to see what's what with it. So far, got the AMD drivers and RealTek drivers installed and working.
    I'm not enthralled with IE or Bing at all. Will go with FF ASAP...and Google.

All in all, though, it didn't take long to install and get things up to speed for the basics.

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What backwards compatibility options does it have?

6. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

What are you trying to run?

7. Trusteft

Nothing, I don't have Windows 10.
    Just curious if it can run 32bit games from say Windows 95, 98 etc.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Sadly this isn't always available it seems.... I don't know how many people i've had bring in their machines and i've had to convert them to local accounts.... a lot of the reasons why SOME people HATE the new verison of windows is the "cloud" based account system implemented. Totally counter productive out in the rural areas.

9. Judas

I've got Need for speed 2se through to 5 working fine.... some of the older quake games.

even got black and white along with a few others working.... many of which wouldn't even work worth a shit in windows xp with as many if not more mods required to get them running.

Trusteft likes this.
  10. Dyre Straits

It actually offers compatibility options all the way back to Windows 95, and all the other little tweaks, too. E.G. 640x480, 8 and 16 bit color, etc.

I grabbed Starfleet Command III off the shelf just as a trial.

It installed fine and even accepted the game code key. Defaulted to 640x480 resolution and rendered all the introductory video. But, once it was ready to actually get to the menu, it crashes. I've tried Windows 95, Windows 98/ME, and Windows XP options to no avail. It just doesn't want to run once it gets to the menu.

Trusteft likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

Microsoft just tossed me a very good excuse to stick with Windows 7 forever!

You mean to tell me that, just to use the CALCULATOR I have to have a Microsoft account and that they INSIST upon it and that I log into EACH "APP" in order to access them? All I want to do is a little calculating for a couple of bills that need to be paid. I don't need anyone's help in order to do what I want to do.

Trusteft likes this.
  12. Trusteft

13. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

There are other free calculator applications; also, if you google calculator, Google will give you one in your browser (above the regular search results).

AFAIK, you can log into Windows Market even if you use normal Windows accounts and once you install an app from the store, it should always work, even when you're not online.

14. Judas

No.

There are 2 calculators. One is an APP based version and the other is the standard calculator.

Though I will add, that it's strange you get a message like that as even in windows 8.x not to mention 10, in the event that I accidently selected the app version it never asked anything about having an account or signing in.

When I install windows 8.x and 10, the first thing I do is run all the windows updates, followed by going into all apps list, and right clicking and uninstalling all the apps I have no use for.... such as the app version of calculator. Once those apps are uninstalled, the normal windows 7 equivalent operation moves along and very nicely by default.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  15. Dyre Straits

I appreciate that info. I suppose that, the older I get, the less patient I'm becoming with all of this "required" logging in to every little thing. It's bad enough on my cellphone these days. When it comes to my Desktop PC, all I want is a Desktop PC.

16. Trusteft

Nothing to do with your age. I am in my mid-late 30's and I am "worse" than you. :p

Dyre Straits likes this.
  17. Judas

This is precisely the way i prefer to do things..

I create a local account

I remove all the apps the come prepackaged and any step update that is applied to windows that either introduces new ones or re-installs them (it happens understandably), i just right click and uninstall, they are gone faster than i can bring up another menu.

After that, windows 8.x and 10 all run EXACTLY the same as windows 7, i never see the start screen even in windows 8.x

18. Dyre Straits

I had enough of the Windows 10 for now. Formatted that drive and will ... MAYBE ... check it out once a few updates have happened. So far, not my bag.

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

The recent update seemed to make things slightly worse for me. In terms of the live tiles anyway - they were never working 100% but now they are very temperamental as to whether they will show updated content. Especially problematic for the clock as it often displays the wrong time.

I have my taskbar set to autohide and it seems to get harder to instigate it. I noticed it seemed harder in the 1st iteration and now it seems yet harder still.

I like the ways the windows animate in and out. The new volume overlay looks like a handover from the 'Metro' music player with it's play/pause and album art tab even though the album art has only ever worked once for me. Most of the time it just stays black.

20. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I read somewhere that MS did warn that this update was a temporary step back in some places.