Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

in order to get the task bar to pop up you must move about 1/8th of the way from the edge of the screen along the taskbar, as the corner hopping is prevented.

This is an option that provided you know your registry well enough, can be disable in order to get you normal corner operation... so far it's not a checkable option for corner suppression.

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Yeah I knew that the corners wouldn't activate it but it seems stickier than it was even in the 1st build of TP released. Just have to get used to it.

3. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

windows 10 is a crock of sh*t just like windows 8/8.1 .... I just don't like the direction windows is heading .... i'll stick with windows 7

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Have there been any updates to the trial release yet?

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

There have been a few, but most of what I've read says that the updates brought more of truly beta stuff, so people are generally waiting for the consumer preview.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Judas

I'm still using it as my primary os with utterly no issues at all.... gaming.. using various programs.... in fact in some cases it's resolved some issues that even windows 7 and 8.x had.

I don't get what people are having problems with honestly.... i've yet to have anyone give me ANY really honest and reasonable explanations, most of all of it seems like the exact same banter and nonsense that people on windows 98se complained about windows xp.... entirely..... sounds identical..

7. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

In general people don't like changes, fears the unknown and so on. That's just human nature. Not saying it's a good thing, it's just the way it is.

8. IvanV

A change for the sake of change isn't worth much. It is a known fact that every design change brings at least a temporary drop in productivity, so when you change the stuff that already works and the replacement isn't really more functional, people are right to be complaining.

FuNsTeR and Dyre Straits like this.
  9. DigiJedi

DigiJedi Member

I like windows 10, it is fast,responsive , intuitive , and so far i have had no real problems with it , and i have used it for gaming and for my usual programs, all my old drivers worked without issues, i have a xonar d2 pm sound card and even it's drivers installed without a hitch, now obviously i deliberately sabotaged the online updating and data sharing features via group policy editor, only minor issue is using LAN networks where there isn't a DHCP server since it seems win 10 doesn't like IPV4 connections without a static ip very much, also the fact that they(Microsoft) keeps disabling dotnet fx3.5 and direct-play is extremely annoying since they have to been manually installed(dot net) and manually enabled (direct-play).

10. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

It's a shame that in this industry "change = progress" and "no change = regress". Also, if you don't change, you can't sell new things. Plenty of people just want and 'need' to have the latest thing, whatever that thing might be. It doesn't matter if that thing is shit.

On another note, how different is 10 from 8?
    I dislike 8 with a passion. It's a touch-screen OS they tried to put on a PC, and just does not work. I even tried a windows smartphone but I just could not find my way around and got frustrated after just 2 minutes. I went with Android.

The only way I made 8 'serviceable', was by installing Start8 and forcefully hide the gadgetry on the right side of the screen. Now it's fine.

So to re-iterate; how different is 10 from 8?

11. IvanV

It's too early to tell. The original Technical Preview worked okay, but it looked pretty much like 8.1 with Start menu, in which you got the "classic" part on its left portion, and the "modern" part, essentially the scaled down Win 8 start screen, on its right side. Kind of ugly, but also functional and customizable so you could turn it into whatever you found more agreeable and they are still tweaking it and adding more options.

Then they had a couple of major updates and I stopped checking because quite a few people said that it was getting less stable (and even the release notes would sometimes say as much), BSODs started to appear etc., but they are moving more and more system settings away from classic Control Panel into the modern panels and stuff like that. They will be replacing IE with something new, the rumours say (I'm guessing that it will still come with a browser, which may have a new engine and be rebranded, but maybe they will change the functionality and how it integrates with the OS?!).

Consumer Preview should hit us in a week, if I'm informed correctly, that should be more polished and more akin to the final version.

Neshi likes this.
  12. Judas

the only gripes i have are those changes that are a step back.... but this hasn't really directly effected the useability of the system ..

connecting to a wireless network is more complex then it needs to be... but at least they are taking feedback provided you provide it.

I haven't had any issues with dotnet 3.5 or the directplay..... in fact it works identically to that of how windows 8.x worked in that when a program wants either of them... windows will provided you approve... automatically start the download and installation of either... once the installation completes, the programs that required the features fire up fine.

The Start menu in 8.1 was perfectly fine... all the critical functions were far easily accessable via the right click button on the start button... better than classic.

Windows 10 basically gives you the complete windows xp/vista/7 start menu along with provided if you want it, the additional tiles too of which you can organize and customize.... so the REAL big gripe that some of the hardcore desktop enthusiasts that didn't know how to set windows 8.1 to be desktop only mode, will be happy to know that the start screen that is present in 8.x, is completely vacant when install on a laptop or desktop without a touchscreen, it automatically installs in desktop mode, no "configuration" required.

No BSODs.... no errors.. nothing... fantastic long running support.... even IE continues to run faster/better than firefox and chrome.... basically identical results to windows 7 and 8.x, IE11 kicking ass. Thought soon to be replaced by Spartan.

I do agree change for the changes sake... is rediculious.... however I must say... and I've had numerous customers agree..even my sister whom frequently used the start menu, HATED windows 8 for a solid 2 months before recognizing the changes made, then getting used to the new interface and finding out how much more superior it was.

I'm rather sad that the charms bar isn't there by default though, and doesn't appear to be an option anywhere to enable in windows 10... it was swell.

13. Liqourice

THe more things change the more they stay the same, right? ;)

14. Liqourice

Installed it today on a secondary drive. Been trying to make heads or tails of things, it's difficult to find everything compared to W7 so I haven't been able to set things up the way I'd like yet.

One thing I don't like is having to use an MS account to login to my own windows. That's a huge dealbreaker for me and I hope it can be set to logon like on older versions of windows. Haven't found that kind of setting yet though.

15. IvanV

I thought that it worked the same as in 8.1, which had some mechanism for avoiding MS account that was totally counter intuitive, but it was there. You'd choose to set up an MS account and then you'd get the option to make a local one, something like that.

16. Liqourice

Didn't see any option like that but perhaps I just missed it. Gonna hunt further and see if I can solve it. This is such a big dealbreaker for me that I won't ever go for this version if I can't use it without an ms account. I have one, that's not the point, I just don't want to be forced to use one to use my computer.

17. Judas

you've clearly failed to see the option to "create Local account" ...

You don't have to log into an ms account at all... ever... didn't in windows 8/8.1... still don't in windows 10

In the event you've created a cloud profile (which is what you've done which means you can go to any windows 10 machine now and login using your details resulting in all your settings applying that you had set on other machines, including provided it's enabled, cloud downloading of your favorites and files when/if you need them), you can go into users, select your account, and set it as local account which will remove the online account system and set you to local only, it'll react and work JUST like windows 7 and previous versions.

18. Liqourice

Perhaps I went through things to quickly during the first startup but I've searched and not found so far. Gonna look more closely next time.

19. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Having no internet connection during the setup also helps with going down the offline/local account route...

20. Liqourice

I found out how to do it. Wonder if I should re-install just to see how I do it from the beginning. Eventually I found the control panel as well, that was not the easiest thing to find.

One quirk I've found though. In W7 I could easily configure a push-to-talk button for Teamspeak 3 on my X52. This doesn't work in W10. The stick works just fine when I go through the device preferences but inside Teamspeak it doesn't seem to sense the joystick at all.