Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Is there a way to reverse to a local account?

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

If you go to PC Settings, Users and Accounts - on the first page under your name there should be an option to use a local account. You will need to sign out to use your PC again.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Consumer Preview should arrive any day now. Here are the lists of new features in various builds of Windows 10. Also, roumor has it that the new IE (aka Spartan) will support Chrome extensions.

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Just watched the live briefing and it was all kinds of meh. You can talk to your PC, not bothered it will be easier to just type. You can extend the start menu to be like the original Metro screen - don't care, I see no reason to use anything to do with Metro. You can seamlessly move from desktop to tablet - not interested. The new browser has inbuilt 'Cortana' not interested. XBOX app for your PC - not interested. You can record the last 30 seconds of gameplay - wow, I can already record much more than that with Shadowplay.

If M$ is truly listening, just give us a compact and lightweight OS that doesn't get bogged down with superfluous crap that no one will use. So far I am OK with what they have done with Windows 10, they seemed to be paring it back and making it a proper desktop OS. This presentation looks like the sort of crap that doomed Windows 8.

5. IvanV

Some people are nothing short of ecstatic after seeing the presentation. New Windows features, Spartan, Hololens, new Visual Studio, SQL Server... Different people are "digging" different parts, but quite a good number of them found at least something to get really excited about.

BTW, believe it or not, one of the selling points for Macs is how well they play with other iDevices (remember, people fell for iPods some time before they started going nuts for Macbooks). So don't mix up "I want" and "people want" (this is related to the "If M$ is truly listening..." part).

6. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

What I am most interested in are two things.
    1) After you activate your copy, can you be 100% offline if you so wish?
    2) What's the backwards compatibiliy with software requiring Windows 98 and up? Games and other.

7. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I'm most excited about the hologram device. Sword Art Online (or Dot Hack Sign) will finally (eventually) become a reality (figuratively speaking).

[​IMG]

8. IvanV

Yeah, that's SF coming to life. :)

But even the some more mundane new features are cool. For example, Spartan will allow us to underline and annotate web pages (and store those comments, of course).

9. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I read today that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade to owners of Windows 7, 8 and 8.1

10. IvanV

True, but for some reason MS will only give us a year to upgrade for free.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

If, within that year, they do anything that really makes it appealing, I might bite. ;)

12. IvanV

The new Technical Preview build is up, it seems like a much more finished product. Supposedly they managed to unite old CP and new settings panels into one logical entity.

I expected this release to be labeled Consumer Preview, but it seems that I was wrong. Downloading now.

13. Liqourice

You have to completely re-install or does it update?

14. IvanV

I think it updates. It actually offered me to upgrade to it through Windows Update, but I chose to download an ISO instead, because I removed the older version a while ago and I don't feel like making it my "production" OS.

15. Liqourice

Ah, I'll just try then. I have it installed on a separate harddrive so I have to reboot to get it started.

16. IvanV

I'm currently using the new build. First thoughts:
    • I've made the mistake of downloading the British English version, so I can't try Cortana (at least the voice part)
    • if you're using AMD cards, go for an older driver, such as 14.9. The 14.12 requires .Net 4.5, Win 10 comes with 4.6 which should be a straight replacement, but in this case it isn't (and Win 10 won't allow you to install 4.5)
    • some changes have been made to Aero snap: if you have dual monitors, in 7 you couldn't snap a window to the edge that was the border between two screens, now you can (and small representations of other windows will be shown so you can choose which window you wish to snap to the other half of the screen); to avoid getting the mouse stuck at the border when you actually want to drag a window from one screen to another, you need to move the mouse a bit faster
    • you can choose to make a local account the same as before: when you come to the part when you are asked for your MS credentials, choose to make a new account, then scroll to the bottom of the page and choose to use a local account
    • this build comes with both the old Control Panel and the new, flat, monochromatic Settings panel; the new panel is organized differently, so we will have to re-learn what we know once they phase out the traditional CP; the idea seems to be to have fewer icons at the "root" of the panel, currently there are just nine, and more advanced settings seem to be hidden a bit deeper than before

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    Trusteft likes this.
  17. Dyre Straits

I'm presently downloading the Tech Review version and may put it on a new hard drive to check it out. Since there's going to be a free upgrade to it upon official release, I guess I need to get a handle on it.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  18. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Just doing the same thing myself :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  19. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I live in Canada.... obviously.... I have the English (united states) installed... I cannot use Cortana as it claims that it is not available in my region..

additionally I can't seem to download the new ISO directly from the insiders... click the button.. takes me straight to page saying "thank you for being part of the blah blah blah"... but no download options are presented in any one of the 3 major browsers... additionally trying to foce the US insiders download option presents the same issue.

20. Dyre Straits

I'm using the W-10 Technical Preview copy now, Build 9841, which I was able to get from a site not requiring a log in option at all. It was slow, but, I got it overnight while I was asleep.

As it stands, I just did get things up and running in the last hour. And, so far, it's been, dig, dig, and dig again trying to find simple settings...like establishing the work group name I need to be using here at the house. Otherwise, it's been rather snappy.

There was also a slew of Security Updates already via Windows Update.

Right now, every monitor/HDTV I have connected is active, too. That's 3 24 inch LCDs and one 47 inch LED.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Soooo, if you want the free version of Solitaire for Windows now, you HAVE to sign in to Microsoft or you can't get it installed. It is available at the Windows Store only if you sign in...even if you activated the OS using a Local Account.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015