Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Yeah, I'm in two minds about the whole signing in part...

If you sign in, you get linked to pretty much everything that runs on MS. It sounds handy and I do like the idea of having access straight away to email, Azure, Office, etc. However, I have multiple email addresses.

If you don't sign in, you get told to sign in to pretty much everything that runs on MS. OneNote, Store... you name it, you probably need to sign in. Not all of them have the option to sign in separately.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

This is the biggest issue I have so far. I feel I'm in MS total control and I don't like it.

3. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

None of that is mandatory. You can log into a local account and use competing services, or log into most of the different MS services separately. Also, we'll all need to check privacy options.

BTW, have you watched the presentation? Take a look at the part about Cortana and what she will gather about you and learn about you. It makes sense, but it's also downright spooky. At least that component has its own privacy options where you can set which things and topics it is allowed to remember and which ones you don't want tracked.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Something tell me the day I am going to install Linux for good is closer than I ever thought.
    GOG already updates their games to run under Linux (and Mac), Valve with Steam does the same. I don't want to let know the big brother every time I use my PC.

5. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

You'd be surprised at the long list of incompatibilities, even with Ubuntu. The focus is with OSX and Windows, though I do prefer the migration to Linux.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Decided to do a clean install of 9926...... Cortana works fine provided you log into a windows live account.. otherwise it's useless... and even then I have no need of such a useless function much like Siri being nothing more than a toy to me as well.

So after giving it a whirl again on a fresh install.... I reverted back to my normal Local account and killed the onedrive that comes pre-installed.

Additionally the latest omega Catalyst drivers install without a trace of any issue so I don't know what IvanV is having troubles with, it didn't even need to attempt to install the latest .net 4.5 .... it just detected a compliant version and installed straight away. The only thing I do is always select custom and then uncheck the gaming evolved non-sense.

7. IvanV

Funny, I did the same thing and the installation itself didn't give me any errors, but CCC wouldn't start. It said "there are no settings you can adjust", or something like that. Maybe it was the driver that failed for some reason?! I was unable to fully increase the resolution, so it probably didn't work.

8. Liqourice

The focus might be on windows still but if a huge base moves over to linux the game developers have no choise but follow.

9. Judas

As i've stated before in this thread... with windows 8... 8.1.... and windows 10.... if you install windows and then get into windows where an internet connection is present..... without your knowledge and specially for those on FAST internet connections, won't realize that the microsoft catalyst package will install itself PREVENTING you from properly installing the real drivers. This is the most common problem i'm presented with. And it's really not a fault of AMD......

So when i do a windows 8.x and 10 install, it's just easier to disconnect from the internet by pulling the plug.... and already having the downloaded drivers on disc or on a flash drive ready to install right away. Once installed, windows won't automatically overwrite them.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

In my case, I installed on a totally newly formatted hard drive and had only that one drive connected other than my BD optical drive.

Although an AMD driver installed via the initial installation and updates, I was able to install the latest "Omega" drivers by manually downloading them and installing from the downloaded file. (There was the usual option to detect and install the drivers but trying to do that resulted in not actually connecting to the download driver site and I had to eventually just cancel that and go the long route around.)

The CCC does work just fine for me at present. I DID, however, get some kind of odd corruption last night here on this site with a lot of text garbage scattered all across and up and down the screen (like the code was showing up) and limited to just the open window for HH. Closing the window and re-opening it took care of the corruption and, knock on wood, it hasn't reappeared so far.

11. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I have been largely positive about Windows 10 so far. It seemed that M$ had realised that screwed up badly with Windows 8 and were looking to re-focus on creating a proper desktop OS. I was looking forward to the live briefing to find out more about the direction they were taking. 'We are listening' was the mantra conveyed in their slick PR babble.

Trying to gleam information from that stream wasn't easy as the video bufferered and stalled constantly. What I did see didn't fill me with confidence. In fact it reminded me very much of the briefings that preceded Windows 8. Hyping up features that were either gimmicks or plain irrelevances.

Cortana is a gimmick. Such a feature might be useful on a smartphone but is near pointless to a user with a mouse/keyboard. We may one day reach the point where we can actual talk to our PCs using natural voice and without the need to be wearing a headset 24/7. A point where accuracy is near 100% and we don't need to go back and constantly correct the input. We are nowhere near that point and until we are Cortana will be ignored.

I don't own and don't intend to own an XBOX. I am a PC gamer so I am not interested in XBOX branding or using what amounts to yet another marketplace adware to play games on my machine. Pretty much all the features they announced we either already being done by other parties or something that 95% of users wont care about.

Now the portion that really worried me - Continuum. Microsoft are still hell bent on the tablet/PC paradigm. The trouble is they are fundamentally different platforms and trying to make a one-size fits all OS means that both aspects are compromised. The 9926 build came down the pipeline for me over the weekend and I have to say it is not an advancement over the previous build. If anything I see the 'metro' crap creeping back in. I am someone who appreciates and looks for design quality in terms of usability and aesthetics. 9926 fails at both of these.

There is no visual cohesion with the UI. The new icons are flat and gaudy....

[​IMG]

These might grow on me but there not what I would call elegant. They look more like Fisher Price toys.

The move to flatten all elements of the OS continues. The Taskbar is now flat and bland. This works fine on small displays but on full HD screens it just looks empty and boring. The window control buttons are now enlarged....

[​IMG]

I think this is another move to make the OS easier to use on small screens but on a desktop it makes the UI look like something designed for a special needs user. The worst thing for me though was the new Control Panel...

[​IMG]

First thing I would say is look at the size of it! The control panel takes up nearly half the screen of a full HD display. The second thing is how does this design sit with the rest of the UI? It doesn't seem to share any visual language with anything else, certainly not the new icons or anything that currently resides in Windows 8. It's near enough black and white and when you navigate the various options you are presented with boxes with text in them. Seemingly no attempt or consideration of layout or visual interest.

The new Start menu is also a step backwards I feel...

[​IMG]

They've made the user icon a circle, why when the OS has a very square theme? Too much emphasis on the live tiles which are verging on pointless, the clock for example doesn't update in real time. The gadget platform of years ago was a better element. They gave you relevant info right on your desktop in real time. These Live tiles and their associated apps are irrelevant to desktop users.

I understand that creating a UI that will sit well on all manner of devices is a hard, maybe insurmountable, challenge but I think they need to spend a lot more time on the desktop UI to create something that is attractive and makes you want to use your machine.

There is a 'personalisation' page in the UI but all it does is give you the choice of window colour. I think they should expand this to offer the user some real control over how their OS looks because you cannot please everyone with so limited a choice.

12. Judas

Again the control panel in it's original form is still in tact... however due to the new way the windows update system is implemented, means that it's no longer listed in there at this time...

I will however say that the gui does look flatter and flatter.... so flat that windows 98 looks more 3D than all of them, windows xp was bulbus compared..

I was looking through various options for themes but it seems to be in the last say 4 generations of windows somewhat reduced for capability in actually modifying the appearances significantly without having to completely mod a theme into place.

13. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

My favourite visual style was a mod for Windows 7. It was basically Aero but toned down and had the rounded corners removed. Displays at that time didn't have the DPI to render corners properly so they looked clumsy. A 4K display might be able to do so now....

[​IMG]

It never quite worked properly and there were some elements I didn't like, for example the bloom around text. In the early betas for Windows 8 the look was very similar with transparent title bars and square edges. That was before they went on their flattening drive. I mocked up what the previous build might look like with a touch of transparency added back in....

[​IMG]

I do think the the Start menu was better in the previous build. If the user could alter things like title bar colour, transparency, scaling, blur etc it would go someway to allowing the user to make the OS more personal. It's weird that the moment M$ dropped transparency Apple implemented it in their MAC OS.

14. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

if I am to upgrade to windows 10 creative will have to do drivers for my card X-fi Frailty Titanium Pro when I installed their latest drivers for my card ... no sound ... i'm not keen on onboard sound and restored windows 7 via acronis true image

15. Liqourice

This is why I'm testing on a separate harddrive/partition with dual boot instead of just upgrading my current W7. This way I won't risk something like this happening. Less hassle if something goes wrong.

16. Judas

Unless you're permanently fixated and stuck on analog connections, there is no difference in digital connections at all regardless of onboard or not.

Alternatively the Xonar by asus i've found to produce some pretty stellar analog sound that are fully compatible.

17. Trusteft

18. IvanV

The article needs to substitute every occurrence of "Windows 10" with "Windows 10 Technical Preview". Other than that, MS is being quite open about this, so much that they have officially advised against using the Preview for anything sensitive. Of course, a lot of people aren't reading licenses, so, while it's generally true and it's not a bad thing to bring it up, the article is making a bigger deal out of it than it really is, especially by always saying "Windows 10", as if the "spying" were the property of the future OS, when it's merely a data collecting mechanism put in for the duration of the beta phase.

It's good for putting under VMware, where you can play with the new OS and its features. I did also add it to my PC as a second OS to see how well it plays with my hardware and run a few benchmarks, but having done that, I am no longer doing anything with it.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  19. Trusteft

Has MS come out and say they will stop snooping in the final release? Because I haven't see that anywhere yet.

20. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I do still have it installed on a separate hard drive, but, have reverted to my trusty Windows 7 Pro and will revisit Windows 10 Technical Preview :) once I see that more updates have been provided and some issues addressed.

As for it playing well with my current setup: I only had a couple of instances of some graphical corruption that happened at the beginning of my own "testing". After that, it behaved well enough for me to continue using it for a few days.