Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If you read and looked into every previous release in a preview/beta, you'd realize that windows 8.x/windows 7... windows vista's betas all had the same "spying" built in, data collection of what someone was doing at the time during whatever scenario in order to resolve any potential problem.

People seem to be more up in arms about what Microsoft has already always done, and they didn't even try to hide any of the previous things they did, it stated it mostly point blank obvious in their general agreement/licenses and numerously hinted at it throughout their brief descriptions and statements while a user tests.

Kind of pointless to do a "test" of an OS if you can't collect any data at all.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

So the answer to my question is, NO. MS has not said they will stop snooping when the final release is out.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

They haven't explicity stated as such but they did say in their conference that users privacy is 'very important to them' - which is typical PR babble. I expect they will still collate voice data because they use it to make the Cortana system more reliable. One of the reasons that I likely won't ever use it. As for the keylogging and file monitoring I doubt they will still be doing this, there is already a lot of talk from users on the Insider forums that this is not acceptable.

4. Judas

Are you using windows xp/vista/7/8.x/10.x... if so... then you fall within the same statement of "no" which you should then be extremely paranoid. Better jump back to windows ME!

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

...my reply would be something not fitting this forum/site.

FuNsTeR likes this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Trusteft, that's becoming your go to answer lately lol.

I think you would have been good at dealing with the press had you been famous. "I can't answer that right now." "No comment"

IvanV likes this.
  7. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Anyone having issues with Creative XFi on build 9926, Daniel_k has released an XFi Support Pack 3.1 which resolves problems in Windows 10.

8. FuNsTeR

FuNsTeR Caledonian and Proud

read my post a couple of pages back installed my windows 8.1 drivers for my X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional card and the sound disappeared couldn't get the sound back

9. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I've been having some weird and wonderful issues with IP Address allocation, as in... not being able to get one.
    Happens especially if i reboot from 7 into 10 i can't get an internal IP address and i'm offline until i reboot a few times, but i'll chalk that up to beta software. I've had some issues too with a Soundblaster Z just completely disappearing under 10, the drivers were making it flake out a fair bit so i've had to roll back to the defaults for now

10. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

Im going to post this here, I don't know if or when this will be released, either do I intend to use the win 10 trails.

Windows 10 Build 10036 Changes Detailed in New Video

WinBeta posted this video, While the official release version of Windows technical preview is still stuck on Build 9926, it's pretty obvious that Microsoft has been leaping ahead with more advanced versions by the amount of leaked versions that have made their way to the Internet.

IvanV likes this.
  11. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I hadn't started up the TechReview in several weeks. So, since I'm between video games, I thought it would be a good time to check things out.

Trying to browse the Internet was a nightmare there for a while!!! I hadn't had so many malicious pop-ups in ages!!! Every time I tried to open a window or a new tab there was another pop-up!!! And, it was those kind where, when you click on the X to close it, you get a "Are you sure you want to leave the page" message.

Ran Malwarebytes and it found about 10 PUPs that I quarantined immediately.

12. Judas

What the hell did you do dyre? How did you get malware? The only time i've EVER seen someone with malware is due to user error.... serious.. specially on windows 10.

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

This totally stumped me, too! I don't get this at all under my Windows 7 system. AND, the Windows 10 install is on a totally separate HDD that I don't even use for storage of any kind. I'm presently back to booting in Win 7 and will check out the Win 10 install again over the weekend...or at least soon...to see if this situation happens again.

So, to be very clear: The HDD that Windows 10 is on, is active as an extra HDD in the system, but, not being actively used while I'm on Win 7.

14. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Funnily enough, I've read about quite a few people getting infections on fully patched, AV protected machines a few days ago. Flash vulnerabilities are suspected, but, in their case, the malicious payload was some nasty ransomware. Also, the impression was that the machines were infected earlier at some point, and then the ransomware was activated fairly simultaneously.

15. Judas

I know of several add-ons infections that chrome users were being targeted with, in which a simple click and you were buggered... It's insane the number of google chrome exploitation that are ongoing right now. It still requires a user to click something they shouldn't have.

The other issue unrelated to google chrome is idiots that insist on clicking "yes install update" for adobe flash, or java update popups that come from general browsing of even commonly used sites via ad servers producing them.... irritating.

Then of course there's email..... i really wish email attatchments or the ability to attach anything to an email or even links would be removed..... there are more phishing emails floating into people emails accounts than actual emails..... i'd say about 50% of my work is due to a user clicking links and opening e-mail attachments that look like they came from their work, or from a genuine source....

People are spoofing emails too, receiving emails from themselves or other receiving emails that have the entire profile details that are perfectly mimicking another, the only way to know however is that looking at the source ends up producing source location/address information that completely looks bogus. People think they have been hacked into because others have received email "from them" when in fact... no, someone just scrapped all the details it needs to fake your ID and everything and send them it from another account system.

16. Judas

Build 10041 has royally fucked up Audio drivers not exclusively for realtek... but in general.

First off.. drivers that provided full audio support in previous builds... are buggered up... Windows 10 constantly insists on installing drivers that it pulls from the update system.... which has "somewhat" gotten better but still is a royal load of crap overall mostly... They also fail horribly.

Basically you can get away with standard stereo audio only with no effects or "enhancements"..... if you enable dolby/dts functions at all, shit breaks down instantly.

If you attempt to expand beyond quadrophonic modes on analog.... (select 5.1 or higher) it'll instantly fail to produce a tone and the speakers will randomly crackle.

If you try this with a digital connection the problems are the same.

Other audio devices are ADI and Via's that seem to produce similar symptoms... ASUS's seem to be unaffected atm. Creatives software has enough issues without even involving windows 10..lol...

17. IvanV

Apparently, one of MS's biggest worries with this new version is what should the Recycle Bin look like. A previous update flattened it and turned it into a child's drawing of a waste basket and now they've gone back to the Windows 95 design (only with blue arrows).

18. Judas

every build has made graphic subtle or major changes ..... frankly a windows 3.1 style graphical interface makes me cringe... it did with the iOS update when they flattened and reduced the color depth to like 16 only.... i don't get what the fuck is up with so many graphical interfaces being reduced to a mid 90's style.... or the retro crap we have been seeing pouring out from all facets with "pixel art" style system. For fucks sakes, get off the damn fad wagons already.

19. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

So apparently they're not releasing Windows Media Center with Windows 10, Media Center is well and truly dead.

20. IvanV

Oh, hamburgers. :(