Windows 8.1 pro update download

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

So after a reinstall of Windows this weekend I was wondering if there was a legal place that I could go to download the full 8.1 pro update as having to go through the marketplace and wait for the update to download ... well frankly its a pain

Just to clarify my copy of win 8 is genuine and I am looking or a legal download for that copy of Win8 so that I can update from a disk instead of the tedious download

cheers if anyone can help :)

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm not sure if there have been any update to this matter since this thread. Apparently, it-s easy if you have volume licensing (take 8.1 Windows DVD and start setup from within Win 8), but it doesn't work that way for us mere mortals.

The second to last post in that thread has some mumbo-jumbo that works, but it seems simpler to just leave it updating the next time you leave the house. :)

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've gone through all the whoops.. you can't.. the store basically downloads the entire windows 8.1 DVD copy... and does a windows upgrade for you. It's not like a service pack.

Windows 8.0 to 8.1 slaps a copy of your entire system in a windows OLD folder on the primary drive.... then does it's install.. that's why it takes so damn long to download and to install compared to a simple upgrade like service packs.

I'm not entirely sure why they did it this way.

BUT

It's actually ideal to download an unmodified entirely legit copy of windows 8.1 itself, install windows fresh using a "Installers Key" which basically lets you get windows 8.1 installed ( as a windows 8.0 key will NOT work on a windows 8.1... WHY? I have no clue why they did that). Then you can activate using the key that was implemented/installed on your board or manually punch in your own windows 8.0 key.

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

ok cheers for that I had hoped that there was an easy way a win 8 reinstall should have been shorter than win 7 but seems thats not to be

5. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

yes, there is away! This gives you a 8.1 ISO that accepts 8.0 keys

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

I've herd you can install without a key, puts it in trial mode, after then you
    enter in your windows key, and should activate just fine..

(Note: you can not use a win 8 key in a win 8.1 .iso on boot from disk setup Microsoft changed the keys for 8.1, but reports are that it
    appears 8.0 keys work after install as a trial, but not from the boot to disk installer)

other method (the one I use) is to alter the ISO and add a simply file that
    makes the install not ask for a key until after its installed as OEM installs do
    details are here:
    http://www.jmedved.com/2013/09/installing-windows-8-1-or-8-without-a-product-key/

(Note double check the directory used by the files when I did this I had to add x64 or something in the directory)