Windows 8/8.1 Your Rating?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 28, 2014.

?

How do you rate Windows 8/8.1?

Poll closed May 28, 2014.
  1. The BEST Windows Version EVER!

33.3%
  2. It's OK....but Just OK

33.3%
  3. Wish I'd stayed with Windows 7!

16.7%
  4. Bring back Windows XP!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bring on Windows 9 already!

16.7%
  1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

Only those who are USING Windows 8/8.1 need reply, please!

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Needs a rating between ok and "best ever".

3. gk8aq

gk8aq Active Member

I am still on Windows 7 as a Hardcore User. I think on Windows 9 Microsoft will put more desktop features as 8/8.1 fail for me!

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

What would you suggest?

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I'm between "It's OK..." (that eventually got my vote), "Wish I stayed on Win 7" and "Bring Win 9".

It is ok. I'm using it on my laptop (typing on it right now :)) and it seems reliable and snappy. Touch support is interesting (I do have the appropriate screen on this device). It works well, it's easy and really not awkward like I thought even on a normal laptop (although I always spontaneously revert to mouse and keyboard) and my guess is that it works really well on a tablet.

It's got its niggles, some of which are a bit unexpected. A bunch of us with different devices have experienced WiFi problems, such as trouble connecting or occasionally losing connectivity to certain networks (which probably has something to do with the networks themselves, but at least in some cases, machines with older OSes definitely fare a little better). Also, my laptop instantly "kills" a friend's home network the moment it connects - all the connected devices lose connectivity for a few minutes (again, could be his router, but Win 7 machines and Android devices work fine).

As a result of the duality of the GUI, some settings can now be accessed from two places, but functionality won't always be the same. For example, if you open Start and search for VPN settings, you'll get the Metro Style panel, but it will mostly allow you to change just the basic parameters. If you need the more advanced ones, you need to look for them in the old style Control Panel. That wouldn't be too bad if , for some reason, searching didn't only offer me the Metro option, so I thought that that was the only VPN settings panel in Win 8(.1), which caused me some head-scratching.

Also, obviously, there is no Start. Start was practical, it automatically showed you the most used apps, it allowed search just like the Metro Start and it had all of your programs neatly organized. I do miss it. Still, it's not that bad. I tried StartIsBack+ and I was certain that I would buy the license, as it did its job really well. Eventually, the trial expired and because a) the Start functionality may be back with the next major upgrade in a few months and b) its lack isn't that horrible, I actually decided that I can do without it for now.

So there it is, it's Ok to use while waiting for the next major update. Meanwhile, on my home machine, I'm still on 7 and have no plans to upgrade for the time being. ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

same here

7. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Chose it's OK, I like it but it's not the best thing since sliced bread.

8. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

+1 I was just thinking the same thing. I think it's great, but best ever might be a bit much. I'll hit best ever anyways.

Calliers likes this.
  9. Calliers

Now that I think of it, I think this version of Windows (8.1) is actually pretty good, I haven't found any problems with it, it's pretty snappy like someone else here said and the only difference from the other versions of Windows and this one is things are in a different place. I don't mind it at all. It's very easy to use once you find out where everything is. And I like the visuals as well.

10. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

A lot of peoples problems with windows 8 steam from change, sadly windows it self
    doesn't change that much
    it just the drapes and the carpet people get flustered over.
    The under the hood changes are what's important. People wine when ever there are any
    interface changes because heaven forbid they ever have to learn anything new or adapt.
    It took me like a total of 15 minutes to adapt to windows 8 lol.......

Calliers likes this.
  11. Calliers

Lol, true. +1

12. jandarsun8

jandarsun8 Active Member

That's nice. I hate it.

If it was only learning something new it would be one thing but it adds time to anything you do. If you need to uninstall the shit load of programs that generally come installed and preloaded with a new machine it's a pain. It's not just hit start/control panel/programs you have to hunt for it and because the tile base is customizable, a new Dell is different than a new Lenovo which is also different than a new HP.

Say I have to get to the properties of the network card in order to add a DNS IP entry, you can't just right click on network, you have to hunt for it.

It adds time to everything you do because it's not laid out in a logical sense. Settings for everything are spread out all over the place compared to what it was with Win 7 or pretty much any Win OS before it.

13. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

I have a link pinned to control panel on my taskbar I click it, click uninstall a program and type the 1st few letters of the program in the search box and uninstall any program very quickly. Then again I haven't owned a store bought machine since the early 90's. But I install / uninstall stuff a lot sometimes. But the unwanted programs comes with buying a store bought machine.

Not really you can get to your adapter settings the same ways and just as fast on windows 8 as on 7. But also realize there are several ways to get there.

Most commonly used programs I have linked on my desktop for easy access it is just like windows 7, in desktop mode, minus the old start menu which you can add free or with paid programs. I have Apps use but lest frequently pinned in metro and other I just search if I need them. You can 99% avoid ever using the metro interface if you chose to. Being an advanced user like me you will have to use it though because there are a few settings only accessible via metro setting menus or the IE explorer under metro.

14. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

A lot of the people that HATE windows 8 due to the lack of start still haven't used the fast functionality of the charms bar or other shortcuts that are just as quick if not quicker than previous versions of windows.

It tooks me a month to even get windows 8 figured out (prior to the preview release)... following that It took me maybe 6 months to get the entire grasp of the gui down to know where to go to do certain tasks.

Is windows 8 perfect or better in every way?.. no.. but then again windows 7 wasn't perfect and better in every way... nor was vista.. nor was xp... nor was 2000/me/98se/98/95/etc...

15. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I used the betas. I am always looking to have the latest and most up to date on my machine. Initial impressions of Windows 8 were OK, it was basically a slightly refined version of Windows 7 with a completely superfluous tablet interface bolted onto it.

As things progressed M$ did their best to enforce people to use the 'Metro' crap even when it was clear from feedback that no one cared about it. People pointed out that their was a disconnect between the desktop and 'Metro' - their solution was to flatten the desktop UI to make them visually similar. Windows 8 on a purely aesthetic level looks bad. I imagine on a very HD and small screen that 'Metro' looks quite nice but I don't GAF about Windows on my smartphone.

A lot of people bashed Vista. I actually quite liked Vista and Vista.05 (Windows 7). Windows 8 is IMO the worst release yet from M$. On a usability and aesthetic basis it fails. They need to pull their fingers out with Windows 9 or it could be the end of the line. They need to deliver an OS for their main user base - that is gamers and serious desktop users. They need to forget Windows Mobile because it is a battle they have already lost.

16. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

I fucking despise Windows 8. For productivity it's quite possibly the worst environment i've ever worked in, Metro completely shatters any sense of flow when flicking between applications, especially when you're having to open 4/5/6/7 programs one after another to work on something.

Let me give you an example, Working on a video;
    open OBS, record video,
    metro opens, open premiere, start editing,
    oop that audio needs cleaning, metro opens, open audition, clean up audio,
    piss around with charms, attempt to open premiere again, reinsert clean audio,
    exported wrong file format, piss around with charms, open audition, reexport,
    piss around with charms, re open premiere.

It's 10x worse when i'm working with code.
    It literally is a productivity killer, worst thing i've ever used for multi tasking

FuNsTeR likes this.
  17. Judas

why are you using it in that fashion.... stop it..... create proper shortcuts either on the desktop or start using the charms bar

18. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

After Update (1) for 8.1 it's pretty good actually, since you now have the minimize and close buttons in modern apps, plus you can minimize your modern apps to taskbar, which is nice. And the taskbar pops up in modern apps, so you can easily switch away.

In Windows 7 I used the start menu like this: I had 4 programs pinned to the top and 8 more programs, were shown, those I used a lot. The rest I would search for.

It's actually pretty similar in Windows 8. The first two rows for me in Modern UI is programs and apps I use a lot and for the rest, I just type what I want.
    The rest of my Modern UI is apps, which gives me info about twitter, facebook, weather, news and so on, it alright for a quick glance and the social apps are good at keeping me updated with notifications, if something happens.

I'm looking forward to 8.2 though, as the mix between start menu and modern ui could be really good.

19. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I needed to do an OS re-install so I figured I'd give Windows 8.1 a chance. I was persuaded to do this by the latest movements from M$, they appear to be finally listening to their consumers about the direction of the Windows platform.

I find it useable. I still don't have much use for any of the Metro stuff - so for me that is pretty much superflous. The only Metro stuff I use is the live weather tile and the Photo app which makes finding images easy.

The return of the start menu with the integrated live tiles is one of the best things I've seen on Windows for a long time. The ability to run RT apps in a window 'may' make some of them more attractive to me. Maybe they could assign a portion of the desktop for docking tiles to offer the functionality that the sidebar offered.

It does bode well for Windows 9 IMO. Only thing I'd like to see is some serious consideratoin applied to the aesthetics of the UI which still looks a litttle flat to me. Maybe an updated and more sophisticated version of Aero.

20. Judas

With the likely slow but going to be occurring adoption of the higher resolution displays.. hell even tablets now are commonly being sold with 2560x1600 resolution displays on them for very good prices... I think the windows taskbar is turning into the new start menu.... just everything is right there waiting.... Everything is grouped together already.... you can launch from it.. so really the start menu is losing it's necessity every day ... the more and more I use windows 8.. .the faster and overall better it is over previous generations....

I mean with 4k displays... the task bar is incredibly large.... in which you can fit an entire SWATH of programs and links and even files on it without over filling.