Windows 8/8.1 Your Rating?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 28, 2014.

?

How do you rate Windows 8/8.1?

Poll closed May 28, 2014.
  1. The BEST Windows Version EVER!

33.3%
  2. It's OK....but Just OK

33.3%
  3. Wish I'd stayed with Windows 7!

16.7%
  4. Bring back Windows XP!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bring on Windows 9 already!

16.7%
  1. ZnMnSe

ZnMnSe New Member

I hate Win8. It forces every Win7 and before user who is familiar with Start Button, hierarchic folder/application subpopups and so on to get common to a as it seems smartphone adapted look and feel, even if he or she doesn't even own a smartphone or comparable device.
    It throws back every Windows user to a level of Windows 3.0/3.1, where you started an application by choosing first a folder (e.g. App-Space), and from there an application which best matches best your affordances.
    Modern operating systems should develop further the hierarchic nature of the start menu and its 'sub links', where you still had the 'whole' in view but 'the special', and reorder it better and better to the affordances of the user.
    That's my opinion!

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

You might like the next major update. It's supposed to hit really soon and to bring a hybrid Start button, that will be a combination of the old and new start menu. When it comes out, I will likely reconsider Windows 8.1 as my main OS.

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the Windows 9 beta/preview arrives before my Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation expires. Currently got 32 days left but hopefully I should be able to slmgr -rearm it. I've heard August for the Windows 9 betas and it does look like what Windows 8 should have been from the start.

4. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

I have changed my mind 8.1 is ok ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not great ........OK .. i am no longeron win 7 so make of that what you will

5. DigiJedi

DigiJedi Member

I love windows 8.1, personally it's my favorite, I like to stay up to date with the latest windows, there are a few problems/annoyances like how complicated it is to setup a WiFi network, like where in 8 you could just right click on the networks charm pop-up bar to view password etc, And I don't like how finicky the sharing can be sometimes, also there seem too be many incompatibilities in programs that I use, other than those few issues I love windows 8.1

6. IvanV

Yeah, whatever happened to that?! Now you have to go to the traditional Control Panel and find the connection there and then you can see the password. Is MS on some anti-usability crusade?

DigiJedi likes this.
  7. DigiJedi

DigiJedi Member

Apparantly the feature was scrapped since "It wasn't popular enough" or something along those lines, they are definitely going to alienate allot of users if they continue down this path, most of my clients are very cautious when it comes to 8,8.1 , i always have to install something like classic shell so that they can still work on a pc. To me stuff like that is just an annoyance, but i am very expierienced with pcs so it doesnt bother me that much.

8. IvanV

I can't imagine what they gained by scrapping it. I connect to a lot of networks in my work and I often need the password when I or a colleague needs to connect another device and the first time it wasn't there I was really puzzled.

9. DigiJedi

DigiJedi Member

You and me both.. I think it was a stupid idea to remove it.Now it wastes a quite a bit of time when your'e setting up/connecting to networks.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I'm about convinced to just squeeze as much life out of Windows 7 as possible and hope that, by the time Windows 9 (or whatever) comes out that they've put some PC users back on the developing team.

11. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Using 8.1 on my tablet for the last few days. No keyboard or mouse yet. Planning to though.
    My opinion?
    As I expected, this is a colossal clusterfuck. While the OS itself appears to be a solid effort, the GUI is like how are we going to piss off both types of users we are trying to sell this to.
    WTF were they thinking, if anything, at MS?
    I won't say more till I use it some more with mouse and keyboard.

12. Calliers

Calliers Just got off the hedonic treadmill... Staff Member

Personally I don't mind Windows 8.1. After using it for around 5 months I have gotten used to it. But then again I'm good with PCs and most other normal users may have found it a pain. Things are just in different places.

13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I've been using Windows since 3.1. I skipped the infamous Windows ME, however. I was very quick to migrate to Windows 98 and, again, to 98SE. It took me a bit longer to move on to XP. But, was very pleased with it once I did. With Windows 7 x64, I've been a very happy customer.

I have no intention of using a touch screen on my Desktop PC. If I were to get a laptop or tablet, I might be more inclined to venture on to Win 8.1 as long as the laptop had a touch screen. But, I also am quite annoyed by any finger prints on a monitor screen. Even with my smartphone, I'm constantly wiping the smudges off as it completely drives me bonkers!

I suppose at this point of time, I'm just eager to see what Windows 9 promises to bring to the table....er....I mean, monitor screen...and desktop users.

14. clubrope

clubrope Member

Windows 8 and 8.1 are both pretty interesting. However, windows 7 is a bit easier to use. I wonder what windows 9 has to offer.

15. IvanV

You haven't been paying attention over the last two days, it's not going to be called Windows 9, it will be Windows 10 (because screw logic). If you're curious, you can try out the Technical Preview here, but since it's an early build it might be unstable and it's not feature complete, so beware. :)

16. IvanV

I want to change my answer to "Give 100 lashes everyone that participated in making this."

How do you change network from public to private?! This doesn't wor because I don't have the switch that I circled:

Their.PNG

Windows Help is utterly useless on the matter.