Windows Media Player - Adding a "noise" between tracks

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, May 11, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

I've edited a CD from a family friend using Audacity. It's an audio CD he sent to my mom.

What I've done:
    1. Removed the Clicks from the tracks
    2. Normalized the full tracks
    3. Generated Silence between each track
    4. Amplified as needed

So, during the playback within Audacity, everything is fine.

I proceed to create a NEW CD using the Exported tracks from Audacity in MP3 format using Windows Media Player's Burn option.

Twice now, during the playback of the CDs, there's a newly generated "noise" prior to each track. This "noise" is completely absent when played back directly from the MP3 files from the PC AND when played back within Audacity.

I'm trying to figure out where and WHY this "noise" is getting generated during the burn process. It should NOT be there. It's almost like there's a split second start of the track just before the actual track gets started if that helps.

I do hope someone can come to the rescue here.

TIA!

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Try Reaper DAW for making CD's instead of Audacity and Media Player....

Tipstaff likes this.
  3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Also, if the clicks keep turning up, try changing the burning from Disc at Once to Track at Once (you won't be able to do this with Windows burner though as it has no option.. that I recall.. for changing disc modes).

The clicks you are hearing are the blocks the laser burns before and after writing a track. I don't know which of the 7 blocks are causing it though. There's 2 blocks at the end of a track, another block is written if there's a track that proceeds it to link them, and then 4 more blocks that lead into the next track. I'm almost positive the player is misreading the blocks as audio it should play. It's a drawback when using Disc at Once writing. Switching to Track at Once will get rid of the blocks as the disc will be recorded in one straight pass, but the drawback is that some players won't detect the blank gaps between tracks, and they may see the disc as one continuous track.

BTW, you say Audacity isn't picking it up, but what is? Is it Windows Media Player? Have you tried the disc on an actual CD player to see if it still occurs, or have you just tried the computers CD drive? It's possible that Audacity is doing what it's supposed to, and skipping those blocks as it should, but WMP isn't.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. Dyre Straits

This "sound" --- which seems to be similar to the first music note of the next track and sounds somewhat like someone strumming a guitar string --- lasts only a second and then a brief pause before the actual track begins. This is the first time I've had this happen, at least to my knowledge, since working with Audacity and then burning the tracks to CD. I've done this with some CDs of my mom's singing from years ago. I transferred those from cassette tape to Audacity, then Exported them to MP3 and burned some CDs for her. I've even done this with some music I collected over the years that had been on my PC.

This sound does occur via a CD player separate from my PC. But, I can import the same file back into Audacity and play through them without this annoying sound happening between tracks. However, I'm almost positive that, if I were to PLAY the tracks from the CD back into Audacity that the sound would certainly be there. It's just not present in the saved file. I can play the MP3 tracks...the same that were burned to CD...directly from the PC via Media Player and those annoying sounds are not present...or at the very least...not heard.

5. Dyre Straits

UPDATE: I may have found a solution. There is an option to Burn without Gaps. I've just done that and the totally annoying sound is absent. And, there's still a decent delay between each track. :)

6. Dyre Straits

What can Reaper DAW do that Audacity cannot? Curious.

7. Tyrsonswood

Besides everything? (Reaper DAW is comparable to ProTools)

You can burn the CD in the same program you set it up with instead of having to use Media Player for burning...

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Audacity is 32bit only while Reaper comes in both 32bit & 64bit. I've never had Reaper crash on me once, and it handles large files pretty well. It's also.. simpler to use.

One drawback: Reaper's not free. 60 day trial. $60 license after that.

9. Dyre Straits

It's really very hard to beat "totally free". :)

10. Tyrsonswood

Reaper is shareware... Personal use is very cheap. It also only throws a nag screen on startup at you if you don't buy it, it's still fully functional. So, it's not "totally free" but.... Yeah.