Wireless Printer Not Seen in DHCP Clients List

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -1 Great-grandson-and one in the oven

I'm trying for a few days now to determine just why the Brother Wireless Printer doesn't show up in the DHCP Client list in the Router. Would it be due to my having assigned a static IP address? As it kept losing connection some time ago, I assigned it an IP address.

FWIW, the printer does work from my PC...and, as of tonight, I can also use the Android app to send print outs to it from my cellphone.

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

If you have it set to a static IP it won't show up in the DCHP list. Most routers should handle it like this.

Though, you should be able to see it in the list of connected wireless units.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

usually I just set a reserve in the dchp list for a specific address then give it a set ip...

I do this for anything that is a stationary system like a dedicated server, wireless network cam... printer .. or nas.... just saves on so many potential issues.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Same. I used to run static addressing, but then issues like Dyre is facing started to crop up. Couldn't see my NAS boxes, couldn't see my network printer (a Brother AIO I might add), and so on. Static Dynamic is the best... until you have to replace your router. :tears:

5. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I've run my lan with static ip's for years and never had any issues whatsoever. I've never had a network printer or a nas though so I don't know if any of those could have caused any issues. I just don't see how it could.

6. Dyre Straits

The problem this particular Brother MFC is giving me is that, it seems, after it has been in standby for an extended period of time, it ceases to be seen on the network at all.

Recycling it by turning off and back on, is successful maybe 85-90% of the time.

Recycling the router is successful more often. However, if the other members of the family are online, that's not a good option.

When push really comes to shove, removing the device from the Devices and Printers list, then running the Detection again, gets kind of irritating after several operations.

In the Control Center for the printer, if I right click on the icon, I can get a "Device to Monitor" option and, often the printer does show up and I can restore it that way when it's been offline.

It's just simply a nagging problem that's been going on since I bought the printer.

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I've yet to see a single printer let alone other wireless devices not have anything better than a 90% success rate at remaining connected after resuming from standby/sleep.

I've seen plenty of tablets/phones including apple products that after no significant use.. lets say 24 hours... remaining on ones desk that simply wouldn't connected to the local wireless network they were assigned to previously.

Nothing beats a physical connection. Reason all the printers including hp and dell, that are wireless, I setup with with a usb cable connected, I just never ever ever get any calls about issues. But every brand of printer in which the customer insists on wireless..... sometimes I receive 2 calls a month from them... some I get once every few months... very rarely is there never a call from wireless printer users. And when those long running wireless printers decide to have issues... it's usually a nightmare to get working again.

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

100% success rate here with my Brother HL-2270DW via wireless. Never once have I had to cycle anything to get it printing.

2 ideas, Dyre.

1) Have you tried Brothers Network Connection Repair Tool?

2) What firmware is it running? Version C? Even if it is it might be worth trying to updated it again.

9. Dyre Straits

Tipstaff:

1. Yes, several times. For the most part, when the printer is Offline, the repair tool cannot "see" the printer at all. However, I have found one thing that was overlooked: In the Control Panel, the options that show up when you right click the icon in the Task Bar, there is an option for Which Device to Monitor. I've had some luck using that and making sure the correct device is selected.

2. Ran a firmware update app and it says I have the latest available.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014