Wireless Surround Sound Speaker Considerations

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, May 3, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids and 1 Great-grandson!

Most of you already know I have quite a setup here. :) But, just in case someone who isn't "In the know" would like to respond and make a suggestion, here's the scoop:

PC - details in my sig;
    XBOX X
    PS-4
    Mostly...in fact, nearly exclusively these days, all gaming is done on a 49-inch 4K HDTV.

I have had for many years now an Altec Lansing surround sound system with the small orbital shaped speakers: 2 front; 2 rear, as well as the sub-woofer. I added a separate Center speaker which sits just in front of me on the desk. At this point, ALL five of the small speakers sit on my desk.

I'm considering doing away with this setup in favor of a wireless system that will include at least 2 speakers that can serve as rear speakers that can be mounted either on the walls or the ceiling behind me.

This, so far, is the easy part. :)

What I need are some suggestions on a system that can allow ALL of my devices to be used -- separately, of course! -- without too much hassle.

The room this will go in is about 10 feet x 14 feet. But, the rear speakers will most likely be placed at about 8 to 10 feet behind me.

What would be a system that could allow for this kind of setup?

This image is exactly like the system I now have....

[​IMG]

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

I dunno, is wireless speakers really that good? I'd think there's a bit more latency with wireless since there's a few more steps than wired ones.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  3. Dyre Straits

I'm not sure if the newer wireless speakers are any better.

I would appreciate any input on the subject, though.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

The Logitech Z-5450's were very good wirelessly for the time and still work today after over 10 years of steady use. The downfall is their limited capabilities on the rear wireless..

Other wireless setup, of any "affordable" by many peoples standards, leave many that appreciate accurate sound left wanting far more. You've usually got to spend twice to three times the price for an equivalent wired set.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm still of the mind that for wireless.. for the money.. go home theatre setup like the Samsung 5 series, or Yamaha SP1800. Better yet, go for the Onkyo S3800 which includes a full receiver (thinking about buying it myself).

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

But, why would there be so many of the Onkyo on eBay???

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Not sure. It's a good brand though. They always have a receiver in the top 10 along with Marantz and Denon. Most times though Sony beats them out for price point, but if you can get it on sale it's worth it.