Wolfdale/Yorkfield overclocking thread...

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Lowfat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Thanks I'm very happy with it. The board is definitely amazing, especially for the price. I could barely get 3.9 out of this cpu on my now dead maximus formula(x38). That thing ran way too hot; like 40c degrees hotter:wtf: and burned everything in the case with it. But this one is a revision 1.0, not the newer 1.1 (not sure what the differences are) and its been a rock. I didn't look when buying like a dummy:oops:
    My cpu also has a 2/11/09 pack date...pretty close. You'll probably need more voltage to get more out of it hobo but that is great for those speeds.

@Swimtech. You know that has much more left in it and you know you want to find the limit:evil:

[hobo]eclipse likes this.
  2. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

well if that is how your pack date reads then mine is a newer chip i guess, it reads 04/02/09 on the box, shipped from Malaysia <-(does this ever differ), but that makes me wonder about why this is a C1 stepping, it clocks nice at low volts so the only thing it seems to be lacking in is the idle temps, with one die having stuck sensors. how does yers idle dipstick? being an E0 are they more in line than mine at idle?

3. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Sorry I always do that with dates. With certain models its up to luck to get the best core i guess. But you should be happy; that is plenty fast and won't kill your electric bill:)
    My idle temps aren't the greatest but they are ok i guess since the cpu is always at full speed.

[​IMG]

4. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

those are about the idle temps ic aswell when not using the power features an mad oc'n.

wat im think'n is maybe the only reason these newer chips are branded C1 is the fact that the temp sensors are not "proper", of course i could be completely wrong! :)

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I also had heat issues with the ASUS P5E3 Deluxe(X38) I was running although it had been damaged and sent to me to repair. The section of the heatpipe covering the regulators for the chipset was broken away and bent towards the CPU. I repaired it as best as I could and it works but runs 10C hotter than my Gigabyte X38 board.
    (Sorry if I went off topic)

On your new mobo certainly seems to work well :)

6. dipstick

dipstick New Member

You know you could get an E0 that might not oc as well as yours;) I would not worry too much about it. I have no idea what separated cores revisions tho

@Mac; Ive heard almost all x38s run on the warm side it would not surprise me. I killed mine trying to get the NB heatsink part of it off but the epoxy was on there like no joke. Oh well, I spent less than half now and things couldn't be better. Mine idled at 60-65c in much cooler weather:mad: Only negative out of all this is that I had to get rid of my 9600GT which I was using for physx but it was more than worth it.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

The ASUS one is the only one that really ran hot here ambient mobo temps of over 40C. The Giga mobo is idling away here at 26C ambient and CPU TCase at 22C @430x7.

8. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Figures, mine was over 40c (idle) at stock everything and 60-65c at 425fsb (again that is idle). 70c was easy in warm weather. Maybe I was just unlucky or Asus seriously messed up with the x38 big time. Its crazy what one small overheating component can do to everything else in ones PC:(

9. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

This is the only X38 ASUS mobo I have used and I have to agree. I jumped back to my Gigabyte board even though I went back to DDR2.